In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,401,280 times)

Hubbs

Hubbs

OK here's a curious one. South African runner Caster Semenya, she won gold in Rio easily, very easily. The big question is, should she be allowed to compete with women?

The rundown: Caster is a woman, but she has no womb, no ovaries and internal testes. She also has hyperandrogenism which increases her testosterone levels to around 3 times greater than a normal woman, closer to a man. She did have gender tests back in 2009 but the results were never published.

Now clearly its not her fault, but she does clearly have a massive advantage which everyone could see with the massive winning gap.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3751132/As-predicted-Caster-Semenya-wins-800-Olympic-title.html

Semenya's interview does make you think (around the 1.14 mark).

Then you have the really interesting question. If a man who identifies as a woman wants to run in a women's race, can he? If he has had all the surgery etc...would that be allowed? should it be allowed? Considering this political climate, I really don't know.

Also, France starts to come down hard on certain aspects of attire in Nice as woman is fined and forced to remove headscarf on the beach.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/french-police-make-woman-remove-burkini-on-nice-beach

Terrorist attack in Australia?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/24/british-woman-allegedly-stabbed-to-death-by-frenchman-at-australian-backpackers-hostel

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Well shit I thought that women looked like a man. Poor girls didn't have a chance. It's no different than a women taken testosterone to be quite honest. This is one of the areas where I strongly part ways with liberals, just because you feel you're the wrong sex and take the steps necessary to fix that as best as you can; it doesn't change the fact that you are the sex that you were born as. I mean if we want to be literal, why bother even separating males and females in sporting competitions?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Sounds like she's intersex, which makes it confusing.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 23, 2016, 02:25:20 PM
You really should, it's the best show I've discovered on TV for a very long time.

Completely agree. It's one of those rare gems, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I've been taken with a new show as much as I have Archer.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 24, 2016, 05:22:06 AM
Well shit I thought that women looked like a man. Poor girls didn't have a chance. It's no different than a women taken testosterone to be quite honest. This is one of the areas where I strongly part ways with liberals, just because you feel you're the wrong sex and take the steps necessary to fix that as best as you can; it doesn't change the fact that you are the sex that you were born as. I mean if we want to be literal, why bother even separating males and females in sporting competitions?

Not to sound insensitive, but that's a dude.  It's a f**ked up situation, she obviously has a huge advantage over the other athletes.  I know it's not the same thing, but look at Fallon Fox from the UFC, a trans woman fighting women.  Even without the hormone treatment, genitals, she has a male bone structure, density, and has a huge advantage over her opponents.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

As if North Carolina needs any more enemies, look at this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/north-carolina-police-shoot-dead-unarmed-deaf-man-using-sign-language-communicate-officer-1577527?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=%2Frss%2Fyahoous%2Fnews&yptr=yahoo

Disgusting. The US Federal Government should march down there and declare the state uninhabitable and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Reading that headline I was expecting something a little more Hindenburg-ish

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 24, 2016, 09:10:16 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 24, 2016, 05:22:06 AM

Not to sound insensitive, but that's a dude.  It's a f**ked up situation, she obviously has a huge advantage over the other athletes.  I know it's not the same thing, but look at Fallon Fox from the UFC, a trans woman fighting women.  Even without the hormone treatment, genitals, she has a male bone structure, density, and has a huge advantage over her opponents.

Oh, so there are actually men who identify as women competing against women? How is that allowed?

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

She doesn't identify, she's had gender reassignment surgery.  I'm not a big follower of UFC but I heard Joe Rogan talk about it, and he goes on about her bone structure, density.  It's an unfair advantage basically, reaction times are faster, she's stronger, punches harder, to the point where it is a ridiculously unfair advantage

The two cases are completely different however, Caster Semaya has a condition where her testosterone levels are way higher than a females should be.  It's a horrible case, her achievements are being overrun by the scientific, and ethical shitstorm.  And you have to feel for her opponents who obviously feel that it is unfair to them

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 24, 2016, 04:42:09 PM
She doesn't identify, she's had gender reassignment surgery.  I'm not a big follower of UFC but I heard Joe Rogan talk about it, and he goes on about her bone structure, density.  It's an unfair advantage basically, reaction times are faster, she's stronger, punches harder, to the point where it is a ridiculously unfair advantage

The two cases are completely different however, Caster Semaya has a condition where her testosterone levels are way higher than a females should be.  It's a horrible case, her achievements are being overrun by the scientific, and ethical shitstorm.  And you have to feel for her opponents who obviously feel that it is unfair to them

Oh yeah I get that this UFC person has had surgery and everything which is fine if that's what someone wants to do (nothing against that). But as far as competing against other women, its a bit ridiculous and unfair I agree because at the end of the day she is still a man that's simply had surgery. As said she still technically has the original genetic makeup of a man.

The sticky issue I can see cropping up is people who do identify as the other gender wanting to compete in that genders field. I mean in all honesty, if America is willing to essentially let a man use a women's toilet because he identifies as a woman, then how long before the same happens in sport? (and we all know the left would fight for their right to do so...and win).

As for Semenya, its a very tricky situation. Its not her fault, she is a woman, but she has the body of a man basically. It would be interesting to see her race against other men, more of a challenge for her and certainly an interesting setup.

New planet, new chances of life?
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/aug/24/earth-like-planet-found-orbiting-our-suns-nearest-star-raises-hopes-for-life-proxima-b

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 24, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
On a lighter note, Archer might have had a point

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/airlander-10-the-worlds-largest-aircraft-crashes-as-it-attempts-to-take-to-the-sky/ar-BBvZxuX?ocid=spartandhp

Was just coming on to post this, actually. From what I heard it f**ked up the cab but no actual damage to the blimp.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 25, 2016, 08:53:06 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/airlander-10-the-worlds-largest-aircraft-crashes-as-it-attempts-to-take-to-the-sky/ar-BBvZxuX?ocid=spartandhp

Was just coming on to post this, actually. From what I heard it f**ked up the cab but no actual damage to the blimp.

I want to get tickets, just so I can put on a suit/turtleneck and spend the whole time quoting Archer

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hubbs on Aug 24, 2016, 03:04:42 AM
Terrorist attack in Australia?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/24/british-woman-allegedly-stabbed-to-death-by-frenchman-at-australian-backpackers-hostel
No. Sounding more like an envious nutjob stabbed someone he was infatuated with. Yes, someone said he shouted "Allah akhbar!", no, that doesn't make it a f**king terrorist attack. Christ.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 25, 2016, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 25, 2016, 08:53:06 AM

I want to get tickets, just so I can put on a suit/turtleneck and spend the whole time quoting Archer

I'd actually like a TEC-9 (or alike) and a tactalneck to go airsofting in.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed