Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 03:40:48 AM
That's what most movies are as well.

Brian De Palma films, at least.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 03:35:31 AM
That's not proving that video games are a complex or interesting art form -- you just found one exception to the rule.
Proves that they can be and that there are examples where they are.

QuoteAnd, at bottom, video games are still just games, even that one. They are no different than chess or checkers, Go Fish or Shoots n' Ladders. They just have fancier packaging and presentation. None of those are art, and neither are video games. If you think video games are, you have to think the game of Monopoly is art, because it's essentially the exact same thing.
:laugh: That's like saying there's no appreciable difference between 2001 and the Roundhay Garden Scene.

This is like listening to someone who's only ever seen an Uwe Boll film try to argue that movies are worthless and that they don't need to bother with anything else because what they've seen is clearly indicative of the entire medium. Get back to us when you know what you're talking about :)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Mang, the Giger Theme for the forum is GREAT.

...carry on.

SiL

SiL

I've been using the Alien one so long every other one just looks wrong.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 03:40:48 AM
That's not what I said at all... I'm not talking about hardware. I'm talking actually designing the game. That act in of itself is an art. Why the f**k do you keep talking about disposable products? That's what most movies are as well.
"Designing" a game is no different than "designing" any other product. It's technical work. The character designs and music count as art, but again, that's not the game itself, that's just the stuff adorning it. Monopoly goes through tons of redesigns in its game board, new characters pieces and card designs, etc, but that still doesn't make it art. It's a f**king game.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2014, 03:42:24 AM
This is like listening to someone who's only ever seen an Uwe Boll film try to argue that movies are worthless and that they don't need to bother with anything else because what they've seen is clearly indicative of the entire medium. Get back to us when you know what you're talking about :)
You apparently don't, seeing as out of the whole massive trash heap of past video games, you can only think of one that has some alleged merit -- basically just the exact reverse of your Uwe Boll argument ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2014, 03:42:24 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 03:35:31 AM
That's not proving that video games are a complex or interesting art form -- you just found one exception to the rule.
Proves that they can be and that there are examples where they are.

QuoteAnd, at bottom, video games are still just games, even that one. They are no different than chess or checkers, Go Fish or Shoots n' Ladders. They just have fancier packaging and presentation. None of those are art, and neither are video games. If you think video games are, you have to think the game of Monopoly is art, because it's essentially the exact same thing.
:laugh: That's like saying there's no appreciable difference between 2001 and the Roundhay Garden Scene.

And on that note...

Threesome With Homeless Man Turns Violent After Beef Taste-Test: Cops

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 03:46:24 AM
"Designing" a game is no different than "designing" any other product. It's technical work.

lol. No aesthetic considerations in design, then? :laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

I already said some of the art design stuff is, yes, art. But the game itself isn't.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 20, 2014, 03:47:35 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 03:46:24 AM
"Designing" a game is no different than "designing" any other product. It's technical work.

lol. No aesthetic considerations in design, then? :laugh:

Nope, same goes for movies. Only the story by itself matters. Everything else is disposable trash. Books are the purest art form obviously.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Art is something that can invoke emotions and feelings (and I'm sure there are others that would agree). Video games can do that in spades if they're well made. Ergo, they're art.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 03:48:58 AM
Everything else is disposable trash.
Nah, just video games. :)

Cal's FW:

Dachande

Dachande

If you guys want, I could post a picture of a brick here for you to talk to.

I'm fairly certain you might have better luck talking to the brick.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 20, 2014, 03:50:02 AM
Art is something that can invoke emotions and feelings (and I'm sure there are others that would agree). Video games can do that in spades if they're well made. Ergo, they're art.
What a bullshit broad definition. Scents can trigger emotions and feelings, too -- guess that means when you smell bleach and flash back to a time you had a really good jerk off session, that's art too :laugh:

Aspie

Aspie

DAMMIT SHE GOT DACHANDE TO RESPOND

MFW Cvalda Cvaldoes

Cvalda

Cvalda

Take notes, Aspie. 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed