In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,460 times)

SM

SM

And that's only if you hit the income threshold.

Rong

Rong

yep S'traya c**ts hahahahahaha  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You don't have to join the military.  You CAN join the military for tuition assistance/student loan repayment.

The guard has the best deal.  Thirty something days a year for free tuition unless Godziller makes an appearance or you deploy.

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 06, 2014, 08:13:05 PM
Art schools can be insane. I think my buddy pays anywhere from 25-35k a year to go to The Art Institute of Colorado in Denver. That's absurdly high when you look at what the average graphic designer/animator whatever makes and the volatility of the industries most students enter.

I was lucky enough to get into the Art Institute when they had the locked tuition, where your tuition didn't go up the longer you stayed.  So my tuition was locked $66K and the AI was still excepting some transfers from the community colleges and taking off classes based on portfolios, so I was able to graduate w/o taking a number of classes and will less then $66K.  They have since done away with that after I graduated.  I got off really really lucky.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2014, 09:04:48 PM
Quote from: Topazora on Mar 06, 2014, 07:38:03 PM

If you have any student debt I think the Navy will pay up to 50,000 of your student loans.  You won't get tuition assistance for another degree though if I remember right.

If you already have a bachelors you might want to go into the officer corps.  You'll put up with different kinds of bullshit but you won't ever be peon level like a private (or its equiv) would be.

I wanted to go to NYU at one point.  The tuition was something like 18,000 a semester.  It ended that dream pretty quick.

Good thing my tuition, at this point, is less than $50K.  My mom and I have split the tuition, and I currently owe about $16k, I think my mom is $18k.  I have a B.S. degree in media arts and animation, as in, I can do 3D graphics.  I'll talk to the Navy so see if that qualifies.  Several years ago, like 2009, I actually tried to sign up with the Air Force and they would only take people who have degrees in Engineering into to the Officer program.  But I couldn't join the Air Force, I didn't loose the weight (actually, this was when I had a medical issue that's no longer a issue) by the time I turned 28.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If the Navy has an issue with the degree their is always the Army.  I'm sure they could use somebody in the officer equivalent Public Affairs/Combat Camera or even MISO (psy ops) with that specialty.

Though from what I know of the army you could be an engineering major in college and be thrown to some random totally unrelated field when you branch qualify.  Think the Marines are the same way.  Its about student performance in ROTC and OCS........I think.  Officer route is not my route.  I don't like the lack of control you have of what you want to do but it would definitely have its advantages.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

You guys should try the CIA. They won't even tell you what they are hiring you for. You assume it is somehow related to your education but who knows.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 06, 2014, 08:13:05 PM
Being American means joining the debt circus, mostly. You can avoid it, but be prepared to make sacrifices.

It's like that in Canada as well. Art school isn't cheap and there aren't a lot of jobs. Most folks end up doing a lot of pro bono work.

BANE

BANE

And on top of all that the Art students get a f**kload of shit from people of other majors saying it's not a real degree. :laugh:

Topazora

Topazora

Its sucks even more when other art students tell you that your degree is not real if its from an certain art school :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2014, 01:28:08 AM
You don't have to join the military.  You CAN join the military for tuition assistance/student loan repayment.

The guard has the best deal.  Thirty something days a year for free tuition unless Godziller makes an appearance or you deploy.

No offence to any enlistees or those thinking about joining.This is sort of funny though because back in high school we had recruiters come and they were overly gung ho about signing up.

http://www.snotr.com/video/3164/The_US_Army__Aww_Yeah

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Mar 07, 2014, 04:08:33 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2014, 01:28:08 AM

No offence to any enlistees or those thinking about joining.This is sort of funny though because back in high school we had recruiters come and they were overly gung ho about signing up.

http://www.snotr.com/video/3164/The_US_Army__Aww_Yeah

lol some recruiters are like that

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Lol oh right, that's why we have droves of college graduates drowning in debt lining up to join the military. ::)

Please. More anti-military propaganda. Ever heard of required service? Yeah a lot of countries have that, and not only does it end up making more responsible citizens with some notion of responsibility and some knowledge on how governments and their institutions even work, I doubt they shovel out bucket loads of college money.

The military is and has been a great opportunity for a lot of people. Guess what, if you choose certain jobs, you may get shot or blown up or otherwise die! :( zcry oh no, it's not risk-free. Must be an evil white man government trap to eliminate minorities or the poor or something, despite in reality elevating these underprivileged people to levels of success they wouldn't otherwise achieve.

The military has been and always will be one of the greatest career choices a person can make. The level of idiocy about it on internet forums is embarrassing. Can't wait for people to grow up. It's not Vietnam anymore, folks, not that any of you were even alive to experience something like that.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2014, 05:03:30 PM
The military has been and always will be one of the greatest career choices a person can make.
Unless you're one of the many people who get killed or wounded or one of the 19,000 who get sexually assaulted on the job every year, yeah, it's the pinnacle of civilized employment.

Rong

Rong

Quotewith some notion of responsibility and some knowledge on how governments and their institutions even work,

I agree with you to some point but u loose me with that, military service teaches you to take orders and tow the line :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed