The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,199 times)

The Alien Predator

I agree, things could get really interesting for what lays ahead.

Spoiler
Thank you.  :)
[close]

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jul 06, 2016, 02:08:43 AM
Yes I expect so.
Spoiler
Could make things a lot more isolated.
[close]

Also
Spoiler
You're too kind
[close]

Are you even allowed to tell us if you're consulting on any other books or would your NDA prevent you from saying even that much?

happypred

Reads like fan fiction...

Spoiler
"They suicide if faced with overwhelming odds," Snowdon suggested. "So where are the overwhelming odds?" Mains said. "And why did we see a load of their ships fleeing the habitat?""They don't run away from a fight," Snowdon said. "Fighting's what they live for. That'd be like Faulkner running away from alcohol.""Funny," Faulkner said. "Maybe they were retreating, regrouping," Lieder said. "Left a small force behind to harry the enemy, destroy their own ships if the time was right.""Maybe," Snowdon said, sounding doubtful. "But we've seen no evidence that they act in concert. Even in a big fight, they're on their own. They're just not like us.""That still begs one question ," Mains said. "What enemy were they harrying?""Let's not hang around to find out, eh?" Faulkner said.
[close]

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 06, 2016, 03:27:34 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 06, 2016, 02:08:43 AM
Yes I expect so.
Spoiler
Could make things a lot more isolated.
[close]

Also
Spoiler
You're too kind
[close]

Are you even allowed to tell us if you're consulting on any other books or would your NDA prevent you from saying even that much?

I'm allowed to say I've not read Armageddon.

Thomas H.

Ok, silly question...

Could someone type out the last two sentences of Predatar Incursion and Alien Invasion? I've had it happen before that I got a misprint with pages missing. Ever since, I like to check to make sure my copies are complete. I know, this sounds so stupid......

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jul 12, 2016, 07:33:40 PM
Ok, silly question...

Could someone type out the last two sentences of Predatar Incursion and Alien Invasion? I've had it happen before that I got a misprint with pages missing. Ever since, I like to check to make sure my copies are complete. I know, this sounds so stupid......

Predator: Incursion -

Spoiler
As Mains heard the chilling scratch of countless claws approaching from below the flight deck, Patton began to laugh.
[close]

Alien: Invasion -

Spoiler
Home.
Soon, she would be ready to drown it in blood.
[close]

Hope that helps.

Thomas H.

You, sir, are a legend!! That helps so much. ;)

Thomas H.

Ok, so.....

I'm halfway through the first novel. I love the worldbuilding, some interesting characters sofar, and quite eventful. However.....

I was promised Predators. It's a Predator novel. Sofar, we've only had corpes, and some ships. I truly hope we get go further into Yautja culture, see some actual characters.

Corporal Hicks

Thomas H.

Allright then.

:D

Thomas H.

Ok, nearly done with Incursion, and liking it quite a lot. However....

Page 289, Shamana says "...surrender." Literally 6 pages later, during her torture, Liliya muses that they don't words for surrender, weakness or pain.....

Right.....

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jul 17, 2016, 11:55:58 AM
Ok, nearly done with Incursion, and liking it quite a lot. However....

Page 289, Shamana says "...surrender." Literally 6 pages later, during her torture, Liliya muses that they don't words for surrender, weakness or pain.....

Right.....

Here are some of my thoughts on that.

Lilliya was speculating or she was ignorant. Because she comes from a much earlier time before humans were probably aware of the Predators. And she only learned what the Rage and earlier research teams managed to learn compared to Isa and her most up to date research.

Because Isa Palant in Alien: Invasion states that
Spoiler
the Yautja don't just have multiple dialects, but literally multiple languages. Which can be as different as French is from English. Also Predators sometimes take mannerisms from other alien races. She noted one clan of Predators had a hint of Celt in their language structure (not Celtic words mind you, but the way they spoke). So Shamana or his clan could've learned of the human concept of "surrender" and had their own word for it. (Is this a little homage to the Celtic Predator from AvP?)

So Shamana probably spoke a different tongue compared to Hashori of the Widow Clan.
[close]

Also note that the translator isn't always literal, it can translate words to the closest meaning. For instance, when Hashori says "Yautja", she says something completely different but Lilliya's inner translator translates it to "Yautja" anyway to help her understand.

Plus Isa's translator was in its earliest stages as well. For all we know, the Predator could have said "give up?" "give myself to you?" something like that but the translator thought "oh well he probably means 'surrender' so I'll tell her that."

I like these little tidbits, it shows just how little we really know about the Predators. Characters can only assume and speculate.

Thomas H.

Thomas H.

I considered some of the points you make, and they do make sense. Still, as advanced as she is, with the amount of research she and The Rage could have been doing, I tend to now believe Liliya more than Palant. I mean, it was quickly put together translator to begin with.

Ok, finished Incursion, my first steps into Alien/Predator novels. Really, really liked it. The worldbuilding was amazing. Loved the Yautja! Some very interesting characters that I'm curious to see more of.

Question:

Spoiler
Was Kalakta supposed to be Greyback/Elder Predator from Predator 2?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I don't think he would have specifically described to be that one. More just like an Elder we've already seen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed