Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 750,169 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

He's based on a guy Ryan North met on the bus, who would talk about video games with a soulsucking monotone.

So there you go.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

CE Remake should be cool. A great way for 343 to get settled before jumping into their first major project.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

It's not 343 though, read the last page!

Lone Warrior

Lone Warrior

Quote from: TJ Doc on Feb 04, 2011, 11:36:30 PM
You never know, history may repeat and it could get a later PC release.

As long as it isn't a horribly bad port like Halo 2 Vista. I'm ok with it.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

So.....
Game night?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Lone Warrior on Feb 05, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

I never understood what made it a bad port?

And I don't mind a remake as long as it's good and isn't retailed for the usual full amount. And besides, 343 isn't a development company anyway? They just oversee it all, right?

Lone Warrior

Lone Warrior

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 07, 2011, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: Lone Warrior on Feb 05, 2011, 01:32:03 PM

I never understood what made it a bad port?

And I don't mind a remake as long as it's good and isn't retailed for the usual full amount. And besides, 343 isn't a development company anyway? They just oversee it all, right?

I'm not entirely sure what 343 is doing, but as far as I'm aware they're instructed with making and overseeing the construction of new Halo games.

What made Halo 2 Vista such a bad port is a really broad question. I think it could range from the fact that people hacked it within a weeks. The Editing Kit for it was absolutely rubbish, and the fact that some of the keymaps (e.g Press 'X' to continue) were left the same as for the Xbox. So often the end case was Press 'A' to continue when you were using a keyboard, and not an xbox controller.

From personal experience with it, I can say the major let-downs in my opinion were the lack of functionality in the Editing Kit and the 'clunkiness' of controls. Both when using Mouse and Keyboard and the Xbox controller.

Focusing on the Editing Kit for now, which appears to be the major gripe with everyone. The fact that it was entirely stripped of all abilities except for importing maps. While the remaining parts such as 'AI' or adding in custom models/textures/sounds/effects/e.t.c were completely eradicated. A final 'tease' by the people who modified the tool was to leave the ability to see these functions in the kit, but if you were to select them, it would just read that the function was locked.

There have been many attempts to unlock the codes for it, but the fact that the game was such a bad port in many other aspects got rid of the hope that someone would. The only person I know from memory that did major work on the Editing Kit was Kornman00. A coder/modder for Halo:Custom Edition.

Finally, there's an 'Open letter' on a Halo and other game forum which I believe outlines the main problems behind the game.

The link is here:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?6854-Buyer-s-Remorse-An-open-letter-to-the-devs-of-H2V

I'll be honest, when I first read it, I didn't believe half the stuff it said. So I went out and bought the game myself.

Please don't mis-understand me though. The game itself was good, like its Xbox counterpart. But the lack of functionality for PC really killed it in my opinion.

Oh and having to pay to play Online for a pc game that isn't an MMO sucks aswell.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm fed up of waiting for my local. I'm down Notts tomorrow so I'm gonna swing by Waterstones and pick up a copy of Cryptum. I've almost finished reading Evolutions Vol 2. I've been very happy with the 2 novels, only disliking Hotel Palace (I think it was).

I've also been replaying Wars. I love that game and the CGI scenes are amazing.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2011, 01:52:57 PM
I'm fed up of waiting for my local. I'm down Notts tomorrow so I'm gonna swing by Waterstones and pick up a copy of Cryptum. I've almost finished reading Evolutions Vol 2. I've been very happy with the 2 novels, only disliking Hotel Palace (I think it was).

I've also been replaying Wars. I love that game and the CGI scenes are amazing.

Completely agreed with your dislike of Palace Hotel (though the concept of Chief meeting an old friend was cool, I hated the contradictions) and Wars. I love the game! Do you play online?

I am going to start reading Dr. Halsey's Journal tonight. Maybe I'll get Cryptum soon.

EDIT: Which Evolutions story would you say that you enjoyed the most? Mine is probably Human Weakness. It makes me really happy that Karen Traviss is writing the next three books after the Forerunner trilogy!

EDIT2: Wow, I just finished reading Dr. Halsey's Journal, and it is amazing. Simply amazing. Arguably one of the best things to come out of the Halo franchise.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

I wanted to link this here for obvious reasons.
Join in! It's in 9 hours :laugh: :-\ :P

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Quote from: Cap. Fitzgerald on Feb 12, 2011, 09:41:19 AM
I wanted to link this here for obvious reasons.
Join in! It's in 9 hours :laugh: :-\ :P

You.. you didn't link anything. :D

I'll do it for you.

AvPGalaxy Halo Reach Game Nights

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well it didn't go to plan. Waterstones didn't have it in - it's not on their website either. Forbidden Planet only sold the comics which I've got all of. Boooo!

I couldn't get into Palace initially because I kept trying to place it into the game. I went on Halopedian and found out it was a loose retelling and disliked it even more. Then the end of it...I was like *sigh* No thanks. John shouldn't be able to remember his childhood.

As for my favorite story...I've enjoyed Impossible Life of Preston Cole, Human Weaknesses (completely agree. Am glad she's doing the next set) and I'm currently reading The Return which I'm loving too.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 12, 2011, 05:19:34 PM
Well it didn't go to plan. Waterstones didn't have it in - it's not on their website either. Forbidden Planet only sold the comics which I've got all of. Boooo!

I couldn't get into Palace initially because I kept trying to place it into the game. I went on Halopedian and found out it was a loose retelling and disliked it even more. Then the end of it...I was like *sigh* No thanks. John shouldn't be able to remember his childhood.

As for my favorite story...I've enjoyed Impossible Life of Preston Cole, Human Weaknesses (completely agree. Am glad she's doing the next set) and I'm currently reading The Return which I'm loving too.

Yep, Palace was the only one I couldn't really get into.

Were you by any chance a fan of Legends? I enjoyed all but Odd One Out (simply because it was a wasted spot on the disc), although there were certain stylistic elements that I wasn't a fan of. Anyways, did you pick up that Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian is a somewhat sequel to Prototype from Legends?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've ordered Cryptum online. £17. Pricey book but I guess that's down to the hardback. And yeah, I love Legends - apart from Odd One Out for the same reasons. Could have been something better. I just wish they'd do a feature length CGI Halo movie.

And yeah, I had noticed that little nod.

I sure hope they release the Motion Comics at some point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed