How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"?

Started by Robotpo, Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM

Author
How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"? (Read 66,428 times)

SM

SM

That's what I'd be afraid of if I still cared enough.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: happypred on Nov 21, 2007, 03:03:39 AM
don't have enough information about the creature to make that conclusion...we simply have assume that somehow it's not
You can't assume that, because the facts don't support such an assumption.

Fact: Chet plops embryos straight into victims.
Fact: Aliens breed and start to overrun town.
Fact: Entire film takes place over the span of only two days.

Seems efficient and viable.  The only thing that would make it work logically, would be to have the Puke-Aliens have an extremely short lifespan.  If the method were to have some major drawback, it might make a modicum of sense.

Gates

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 21, 2007, 03:09:46 AM
oh, We were all ignoring him. Sorry, forgot to send you the memo. lol.

Damn! I didn't get that one... :-\

Xenomorphine

Quote from: echobbase79 on Nov 21, 2007, 02:30:34 AM
So really all those eggs on the Space Jockey ship are those creatures?

That was the original intention, yes.

Although that did seem to confirm the production team felt the main crew were smaller than the Space Jockey.

As for consciousness for egged victims, I did qualify my remarks by stating it's just a possibility, but one which would add a definite horror quota to the proceedings.

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2007, 03:11:00 AM
That's what I'd be afraid of if I still cared enough.

What's all this "still" lark? :)

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Ok, first of all, I can see that this thread is going to turn into another "New Reproduction" thread...which is good. BTW, where the hell is Sil? I thought he would've said something in here, by now.

Alright, anyway, I want to be a part of this conversation, as well.

I don't want to repeat things I stated MANY, MANY times over in that "New Reproduction thread", but I might have to here.

The way I saw it was Cameron introduced the Queen, becauase at the time, the egg morphing scene was never released to the public/theaters in the first place, so Cameron came up with his vision and his addition to the Alien cycle. He introduced something that was not previously seen on screen.

Now, that doesn't mean egg morphing isn't possible, if it only applies to Aliens that are without a Queen present. Sure, Queens can still be born through a facehugger embryo --> chestburster.

However, what still has me confused is the Queen-molting idea. I guess it's possible, but to me, it seems too difficult to suddenly imagine an Alien warrior change sex and suddenly start turning into a Queen.

So, I can understand that this regurgiation method works for a young-Queen between the stages of burster and full-grown. I have said this MANY times here, already. Just because we have not seen it before, doesn't mean it can't be possilble. Yes, you can argue that it means the directors/writers have total freedom of what they can put in, even if it's canon. Everything that is introduced in a movie is canon.

In every Alien movie, SOMETHING new is always introduced, because of the writers/director. Egg morphing, Queen, acid-spitting, taking the form of the host, etc. etc. the list goes on. The Alien cycle can be expanded. The characteristics of the Aliens can be expanded.

In every Predator movie, SOMETHING new is introduced, because of the writers/director.

I ask people to stop just going by what they have seen on film, before. Open that box and think outside of it. What was established before is still being kept, but in this movie, the story/situations are allowing for new things to be introduced, which helps the story...yes, but also can expand the cycle and other ideas, further.

People are bashing this movie, based on what they have seen before, but have not realized that what they have seen before was either new, or began as something new to start with.

Anyway, I think I have said what I wanted to say and have made my point.

Just wait and see the movie, people. Sure, we can speculate on what we have seen/heard, but we need to wait another month and reserve final judgment, then.

Exiled

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 02:17:10 AM
Oh well. I gotta get back to work. We are balls deep in the DVD VFX shots now.

you do that :) hope all is well and you clean up andersons mess

jimmylace

Quote from: echobbase79 on Nov 21, 2007, 02:40:48 AM
Quote from: Anomaly on Nov 21, 2007, 02:35:40 AM
Im surprised Giger didnt think up the regurgitation thing. Wow... hes slipping   :P

I think Giger would like the idea. He has a fascination with the mouth and inserting things inside it.

I do too. ;)

...big macs mostly.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 21, 2007, 03:11:19 AM
don't have enough information about the creature to make that conclusion...we simply have assume that somehow it's not
You can't assume that, because the facts don't support such an assumption.

Fact: Chet plops embryos straight into victims.
Fact: Aliens breed and start to overrun town.
Fact: Entire film takes place over the span of only two days.

Seems efficient and viable.  The only thing that would make it work logically, would be to have the Puke-Aliens have an extremely short lifespan.  If the method were to have some major drawback, it might make a modicum of sense.

Well it is a predalien...and not bred from a human

as for drawbacks...perhaps the process is quite taxing on our beloved Chet...yes, it might be a faster method but less viable in the long run, more of an emergency option in case faster-than-normal breeding is required.

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 21, 2007, 03:11:19 AM
Aliens have an extremely short lifespan.  If the method were to have some major drawback, it might make a modicum of sense.
Well we simply don't have enough information about the creature to make that conclusion...we simply have assume that somehow it's not
Perhaps it seems more efficient but has major drawbacks

You say modicum I say sufficient.

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 21, 2007, 03:21:20 AM
I ask people to stop just going by what they have seen on film, before. Open that box and think outside of it.

This is true, but only with useful non tacky ideas. For instance, A: Res was full of useless ideas that wasnt outside of the box, it BROKE the box.

jimmylace

jimmylace

the important thing is that this regurgitation idea...well it hits that nerve...and plus, it doesn't contradict anything we've seen before. It's a hybrid...the rules aren't set in stone.
Regurgitating and egg morphing can co-exist. As for cocooning....it doesn't necessarily have to be solely for impregnation....it could be for food...it could be habitual...hell, maybe Aliens just want to create a protected environment for their little chestbursters. (i.e by restricting the host in a protected hive rather than allowing the host to kill themselves, or for there to be any damage sustained before the Alien is born)

I don't understand everyones problem...I mean, I was DYING to see the return of egg-morphing, but this idea is still a welcome addition and is a million miles away from the tone of AvP1.

The thing that interests me most is the colour-grading....I wonder what the hue of the movie is going to be, if theres one at all. I'm thinking there will be some serious de-saturation going on possibly.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: jimmylace on Nov 21, 2007, 03:28:53 AM
and plus, it doesn't contradict anything we've seen before.
That's true...provided you've only seen AvP.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

So, I guess the PredAlien does molt into a Queen...

SM

SM

QuoteOpen that box and think outside of it.

Cheap lazy copout.  Like the regurgitation method.

Shows more creativity to work within the rules to get what you want rather than re-writing them because they don't suit.

It's way too late in the game for this sort of nonsense.

Anomaly

Sometimes people pass off nonsense for thinking "different"... thats all im concerned about. And usualy those that think vomit is kool have this particular ailment ;)

Hudson

QuoteShows more creativity to work within the rules to get what you want rather than re-writing them because they don't suit.

I agree, and I think that it's more fun to write a story when the rules are already set and you're free to make those rules interesting in a new way.  It's less fun to just start from scratch if you ask me.  This is why fanfic is fun to write.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed