Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 279,921 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2018, 08:22:06 AM

What about when the Xenomorph attacked a crane for no reason and got itself smushed?

I have no idea why it attacked the crane.  Maybe it didn't attack it, maybe it was just trying to get better footing.

Doesn't matter to me, I like the scene.  Everyone complains about the xeno getting sucked into space again but this had a unique death and people still complain.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 04, 2018, 09:21:31 AMBig moving thing with what appeared to look like "teeth".....

Aliens are smart but... they are still animals (despite hudson's freak outs).

and these are proto-xenos. Lots to improve still.

The argument that it thought it was the teeth of some hostile creature kinda falls down when you consider the Alien then decides to jump directly into its open jaws.

And didn't Scott come out and say this wasn't some Alien progenitor, it was meant to be the real deal?

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 04, 2018, 10:14:55 AMEveryone complains about the xeno getting sucked into space again but this had a unique death and people still complain.

The death itself was cool. But that doesn't somehow forgive the fact that way they made it happen was dumb.

Also what about the second example I brought up? The Alien running straight into the truck because Daniels jumps aside was literally a Road Runner gag. To quote Snatch, that enormous excavator wasn't exactly incon-f*cking-spicuous, was it?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Its like they are such berserkers that they will attack anything that moves, living or otherwise.

Ridley's comment about the Xeno being crushed to pieces was silly, he said something about it still being alive and can regenerate. This is in contrast to Dan O' Bannon's comment that they are just animals and will die if they are shot. Since this supposed to be scifi and not supernatural fantasy, I will always agree with O' Bannon.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SiL on Apr 04, 2018, 04:24:48 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2018, 03:28:38 AM
I didn't realise until someone pointed it out, but I think it could've had a better reveal since it's chronologically the first Alien.  I wonder if someone watching an Alien film for the first time might wonder - 'what the hell is that and where did it come from?'
That intro was more like something out of an AvP movie. Given no time, no importance, just "Hi, it's here now!".

Hell, the only difference between the xeno and the Neomorphs in the film was one bled acid. Functionally, that was it. They moved the same, sounded the same, and acted the same.

Its one of the few issues I have with the film. I like the scene, its a pretty cool kill but it just doesn't have enough impact for the very first sighting. Compare that to Brett and his first encounter and it just doesn't do the beast any justice at all and it irks me every time I watch the film.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I thought the adult reveal was underwhelming
It just drops down on some poor fellow and that's it. No drama, no awesome build up, nothing. It's a shame, too, because the chestburster moment was really powerful and I loved it, but the adult just didn't live up to it.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

It is strange that they handled the first chest bursting with such reverence yet neglected to do the same when its fully grown.

SM

SM

QuoteThe argument that it thought it was the teeth of some hostile creature kinda falls down when you consider the Alien then decides to jump directly into its open jaws.

If it was an organic predator the Alien could actually damage it and the moment it bit the Alien it'd get an acid bath.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Still not exactly the smartest way to go about killing it, especially when you're the only Alien around.

Sure, you might take out whatever it is with your blood, but you still risk getting crushed in the process.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2018, 11:07:13 AM

The death itself was cool. But that doesn't somehow forgive the fact that way they made it happen was dumb.

Don't understand it, therefore dumb.  Gotcha.

Didn't somebody say that it represented the hand of god? 

QuoteAlso what about the second example I brought up? The Alien running straight into the truck because Daniels jumps aside was literally a Road Runner gag. To quote Snatch, that enormous excavator wasn't exactly incon-f*cking-spicuous, was it?

That's a reference to The Shining if it's a Road Runner gag.  In one scene of The Shining you see Danny watching Road Runner on tv.  "See?  It's ok, he saw it on the television".  Jack Torrance is like the Wile E Coyote.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Apr 04, 2018, 12:36:53 PM
It is strange that they handled the first chest bursting with such reverence yet neglected to do the same when its fully grown.

No that was just a brief glimpse of the alien, not the full reveal.  Like how in the Director's Cut of Alien you see the alien briefly hanging from chains.  Also in Alien 3 when it spits acid at Murphy.  Those aren't full reveals.

The real reveal of the alien was when it exited the Citadel.

SM

SM

QuoteStill not exactly the smartest way to go about killing it, especially when you're the only Alien around.

"Quite literally, it doesn't have an education. The alien is not only savage, it is also ignorant."

Dan O'Bannon

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Apr 04, 2018, 12:36:53 PM

No that was just a brief glimpse of the alien, not the full reveal.  Like how in the Director's Cut of Alien you see the alien briefly hanging from chains.  Also in Alien 3 when it spits acid at Murphy.  Those aren't full reveals.

[/quote]

I know its not a full reveal but it was still uninspired. Either way I found it underwhelming and I'm a fan of the film.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 04, 2018, 09:23:43 PMDon't understand it, therefore dumb.  Gotcha.

::) Not what I said all.

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 04, 2018, 09:23:43 PMThat's a reference to The Shining if it's a Road Runner gag.  In one scene of The Shining you see Danny watching Road Runner on tv.  "See?  It's ok, he saw it on the television".  Jack Torrance is like the Wile E Coyote.

:laugh: Of course it is.

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 04, 2018, 09:23:43 PMNo that was just a brief glimpse of the alien, not the full reveal.  Like how in the Director's Cut of Alien you see the alien briefly hanging from chains.  Also in Alien 3 when it spits acid at Murphy.  Those aren't full reveals.

Except that you see it pretty clearly throughout the attack scene - it isn't shrouded in shadows or glimpsed briefly, you literally just see it - so those analogies are meaningless. It's revealed plenty right then and there.

Quote from: SM on Apr 05, 2018, 02:25:55 AM"Quite literally, it doesn't have an education. The alien is not only savage, it is also ignorant."

Dan O'Bannon

Which is the same as being instinctively stupid?

Not to mention the Aliens in the first four films seemed to get by just fine without leaping into nearby machinery.

SM

SM

Did any of them get attacked by nearby machinery?

The Queen could've easily grabbed Newt and snapped her neck in less time than it took for Ripley to stop her - or used her as a hostage if she was cluey enough.  Instead she attacked Ripley.

The similarities are obvious.

skhellter

skhellter

The aliens of Hadley's Hope and Auriga had plenty of opportunity for some learning.

They had a better clue of their surroundings than the young G on Paradise.

Stop playing with that Ayy.
Put some respeck on that ayyy.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

From the Dutch version of Amazon.
Better rating than I expected.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed