Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 284,821 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Yes, most people who have seen it like the movie.

Gaunchola

Gaunchola

The setting of this movie . In the beginning , let ´s say the first 10 minutes or so ( when they just arrived ) , it wasn ´t that bad at all .
But - the moment we get to see the first guy who finally gives birth to this greyish white one , it suddenly all starts to fade off .
From that moment that David asks for the colonists that remain on the ship , the movie totally has lost credibility and the Alien aura .
just saying

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on May 11, 2017, 02:01:11 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered that I was also seriously bummed by:

1.  Super short incubation time.
2.  Way too many shots of the Alien.  I hated the POV shots, and I hated the shots of it just strolling around.  Way to destroy the power of its image.

You mean " trolling " around , aren ´t you ?   :laugh:

Scorpio

Scorpio

The incubation times never bothered me, don't why it gets so many people's goat.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Because it's inconsistent with what came before.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Not really, it only took a few hours at most in Alien, in Covenant it is about the same.

Movie time does not equal real time. 

SM

SM

It was in the ballpark of 16 hours in Alien.

It was in the ballpark of 1 hour (maybe 2 tops) in Covenant for Oram.  Lope may have been longer.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Apr 22, 2018, 01:44:37 AM
It was in the ballpark of 16 hours in Alien.

It was in the ballpark of 1 hour tops in Covenant for Oram.  Lope may have been longer.

Lope could have been 16 hours because Daniels had time to sleep.

The Nostromo crew had already woken hours earlier, and humans can't go that long without sleep.  They showed no signs of sleep deprivation, so if it was 16 hours plus the time from when they woke up, would've added up to far too long.

Time x (Nostromo crew waking up to Kane getting infected) + 16 hours = (over 20 hours at least, if you factor them going back and forth to the derelict)

They were never shown resting or suffering from sleep deprivation.

SM

SM

They'd been asleep for months at that point.  Hardly sleep deprived.

Judging from the times take to get to to and from the Derelict back to the Nostromo, planet rotation times, Parker and Brett's repair 'estimates', the fact they weren't finished when they took off - around 16 hours.

Lope was maybe 5 hours tops - 8 bells sounds at 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00.  Add on time to get back to the Covenant.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 21, 2018, 09:17:07 AM
The incubation times never bothered me, don't why it gets so many people's goat.

This. I always just assumed it was different with every host. Body size, general health, age of the facehugger, things like that. It seemed like it took a while for Ripley in Alien 3, and a bit of time for Kane as well, though not too awful long after the facehugger fell off. Oram did seem a bit rushed but, we're talking about a protomorph. Same with the neomorphs, it's a different creature entirely from the original alien. Even the runner was born formed. Can we assume the alien birth from Lope was similar to the Oram protomorph birth? I believe so.

The thing with lope was just implantation. So, allow me to put forward a theory here. If it only took Oram an hour or so, what if the facehugger that attacked lope didn't do the implantation. What if, in the hours that the covenant crew was busy after lope was stabilized, David did something. We know that he's carrying stuff around in him. What else might he have had up his sleeve? Maybe a mutant form of the spore? A scene with David attacking Lope in the Medbay would've been creepy. Maybe he pulled an Ash and stuffed an embryo down Lopes throat. Might've been a better reveal, at least, and a good throwback.

Even though that's probably not the case, the rapid implantation of Lope can likely be chalked up to the facehugger knowing it was being mortally wounded or in danger, and rushing the implantation to ensure the survival of the embryo. I guess, in an emergency, the little buggers can still get the job done. Perhaps birth was more rapid in Orams case because that facehugger had the extra time to see to things. Get the biological shop set up, as it were.

SM

SM

Neomorph's are neither here nor there.  People don't have a problem with them.  And Ripley was carrying a Queen.

Apparently Bechir said in an interview with Hicks that he was implanted through the wound in his cheek (I think?).  Considering the short implantation and David attaching the 'medpac' to Lope's face on the lifter - it wouldn't surprise me.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Apr 22, 2018, 06:54:37 AM
Neomorph's are neither here nor there.  People don't have a problem with them.  And Ripley was carrying a Queen.

Apparently Bechir said in an interview with Hicks that he was implanted through the wound in his cheek (I think?).  Considering the short implantation and David attaching the 'medpac' to Lope's face on the lifter - it wouldn't surprise me.

Exactly. Neomorph, Protomorph, Drone, Warrior, Queen. Between the types of creature, implantation method, and host biology, there's just too many factors to make maturation and eruption times a significant issue.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, he said it got in through the burn in his cheek.

SM

SM

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 22, 2018, 07:14:30 AM

Exactly. Neomorph, Protomorph, Drone, Warrior, Queen. Between the types of creature, implantation method, and host biology, there's just too many factors to make maturation and eruption times a significant issue.

Excepting of course that it still seems way too fast in Covenant.  As far as the audience is concerned - it's an Alien, a Xenomorph - not a Protomorph (is that even a thing?).  They complained about the fast gestation in AvP and they're complaining here.  Simply saying 'Neomorph, Protomorph, Drone, Warrior, Queen' is a lazy handwave.  Neomorphs aren't relevant, Protomorphs aren't a thing, Drones and Warriors are the same thing, and Queens have longer gestations.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Apr 22, 2018, 03:01:28 AM
They'd been asleep for months at that point.  Hardly sleep deprived.

They're crogenically frozen (or cooled), not sleeping.

QuoteJudging from the times take to get to to and from the Derelict back to the Nostromo, planet rotation times, Parker and Brett's repair 'estimates', the fact they weren't finished when they took off - around 16 hours.

Well you just answered yourself, they never finished the repairs, and they started the repairs before Kane got huggered.

QuoteLope was maybe 5 hours tops - 8 bells sounds at 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00.  Add on time to get back to the Covenant.

And time for Daniels checking on 'Walter' and then going to make an omelette.

EDIT:  And forgot, get Lope to medical.

SM

SM

QuoteThey're crogenically frozen (or cooled), not sleeping.

Guess that's why they didn't call it hypersleep - oh wait...

QuoteWell you just answered yourself, they never finished the repairs, and they started the repairs before Kane got huggered.

Yes.  So?

QuoteAnd time for Daniels checking on 'Walter' and then going to make an omelette.

You don't add any time on for that.  That's happening while the embryo is gestating.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed