Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant

Started by Mala'kak, Feb 08, 2023, 10:35:09 AM

What's your favourite out of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant?

Prometheus
18 (43.9%)
Alien: Covenant
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant (Read 12,933 times)

Mala'kak

Choose and explain why you think its the better film.

I personally prefer Prometheus. I thought Fassbender was amazing in that movie.

Kradan

Covenant. I enjoyed more Alien-esque feel, it wasn't trying to be this grand epic scifi tale Prometheus was, I dug smaller, more intimate scale - Alien is no Star Wars.

Speaking of Fassbender - I'm glad they've put a much stronger emphasis on him in Covenant. I actually like all the themes and subtexts "David created the Alien" brings to the table

Plus, that score kicks ass

Mr. Clemens

Prometheus, because of the vibe. It's just bubbling over with enthusiasm for itself. The whole thing just screams, "Here we go on a brand-new outer space adventure!" Covenant, on the other hand, just kind of mutters, "Fine, here's your f**kin' Alien movie."

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Covenant for sure.

Prometheus looks great and has some really interesting core concepts, but the movie is pretty fundamentally a mess in almost every other regard. A fascinating mess, and one absolutely worth giving the time of day to, but a mess nonetheless.

Covenant is an absolute highlight in the franchise on the whole; it's really haunting Gothic horror in space, the meanest the series has been since Alien 3, David is at his best, the film expands on what does work from Prometheus and really spins it into something of the quality that the material deserves. The film is probably second only to The Last Duel as far as contemporary Ridley Scott goes, too.

Cosmic Incubation

hmm that's tough.
Both films have pros and cons, and I enjoy both for different reasons.

I love the cosmic-horror plot elements and nihilistic themes of Prometheus, along with the fantastic cinematography, and the way it attempts to expand on the world of Alien without overtly being connected.

For Covenant I love how much it leans into the gothic atmosphere and tone, and again the cinematography looks amazing. Also the neomorphs are one of my favorite additions to the xeno lineup.

Only thing is I feel that the film drops in quality and enjoyment when the actual xeno shows up. Altho tbf its just that scene on the ship that I hate. It just feels so utterly tacked on and derivative. Could have been cut out altogether, for the films betterment.

Both have some pretty glaring flaws in writing and character development. But I think I enjoy the overall story and new elements that Prometheus brought to the table more. But Covenant has grown on me a lot over the years for sure.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 08, 2023, 04:38:41 PMPrometheus, because of the vibe. It's just bubbling over with enthusiasm for itself. The whole thing just screams, "Here we go on a brand-new outer space adventure!" Covenant, on the other hand, just kind of mutters, "Fine, here's your f**kin' Alien movie."

Prometheus is like when your grandma takes vegetables from her garden to make the most delicious meal ever! 😍

Covenant on the other hand...

The food box has a beautiful philosophical gothic art though🙈😅👉👈👁🦇👁

Rankles75

Covenant is better written, better acted, has a better score and has better action scenes. Prometheus has a better trailer...

PsyKore

Prometheus has so much potential to be better, which is what makes it so frustrating for me. Great visuals, sound and some themes are interesting - there is a legendary sci-fi defining film under here somewhere... The film as a whole, however, feels segmented and like a plethora of different people's input scattered about with no fruition to any of it. Characters are odd and not how people talk or behave. The plot is also weird; and under scrutiny makes no sense. And I think the Engineers were uninspired.

Covenant, while still having odd characters and ones that aren't fleshed out, tends to feel more focused at least. It's also a much darker tone which I feel is more in line with the Alien series. An aspect that I really enjoy about it, too, is that it's almost like a self-contained little horror piece. Apart from all that, though, the usual Ridley Scott visual awesomeness is here, as well as much better music and atmosphere.

Stitch

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 12, 2023, 04:44:46 AMPrometheus has so much potential to be better, which is what makes it so frustrating for me. Great visuals, sound and some themes are interesting - there is a legendary sci-fi defining film under here somewhere...
That's why I tend to watch the Chaos Edition, or the Virtual Workprint. Both fanedits that add lots of content back in, and make it a significantly better film, in my opinion.

The original movie in 3D, though... Oof! That's a pretty movie.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I think the first half hour or so of Prometheus is perfect. It starts to go downhill when they get back to the ship when the Silica storm hits.

As for Covenant, I think the opening prologue with Weyland and David is one of the best sequences in the entire series. But the meat of the film falls flat pretty quickly. The reintroduction of the creature itself was such an anti-climax given Ridley Scott's obvious disdain for it these days. How the same man that created the original Alien can craft up a final act in Covenant with precisely zero tension is beyond me.

Both will always be missed opportunities IMO.

I've always believed Prometheus would have worked better as an actual sequel rather than a prequel. If you watch it back, there's absolutely no reason why this couldn't be set 30 years after Alien 3. Just swap out Peter for Michael.

Local Trouble

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 12, 2023, 08:31:59 PMI think the first half hour or so of Prometheus is perfect.

The first hour had Fifield in it, so that immediately disqualifies it from being perfect.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2023, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 12, 2023, 08:31:59 PMI think the first half hour or so of Prometheus is perfect.

The first hour had Fifield in it, so that immediately disqualifies it from being perfect.

I'm here to make money.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 11, 2017, 11:54:57 AMEstablishing his credentials in a scene of establishing the mission would've been fine. Instead we got "Fifield; geologist, dick." And that's it.

Immortan Jonesy

I think he loved rocks so much he saved some samples for analysis back on the ship, and I bet that's why he wanted to go back to the Prometheus with great excitement :)

Nightmare Asylum

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed