The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,050 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 10, 2021, 05:07:19 PM
New edition of Kill Team has been confirmed.

1) The set, named Octarius, the infamous warzone where Orks and Tyranids have been driven together into a sector-engulfing evolutionary arms race, features Orks but not Tyranids.

2)These big boxes are all $400+ here now, it's frankly insulting.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I rather enjoyed the video game.  Too bad I can't play it on my Xbox Series X.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Warhammer-40-000-Kill-Team/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b52

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 09, 2021, 10:56:36 PM
Were you finally able to resupply?

No. I'm gunna be finishing up some 40k armies for an older edition, mostly just painting backlog and snagging a few discounted old things here and there, then calling it a day. The cynical and eternal rules churn, general rules direction that isn't my vibe, and the fact that most infantry figures are now over $10 NZD per model (with armies needing 50-150 of those plus heroes and vehicles) all combine to make it an unappealing and unaffordable proposition to bother with GW at all.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That sounds like you're giving up on 40k altogether.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

More or less, yes.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Painted some Stormcast today. Boy, I haven't painted in a long time and it shows.

I also don't much care for Army Painter paints, don't think they cover very good, at least not the gold.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 10, 2021, 06:33:10 PM

1) The set, named Octarius, the infamous warzone where Orks and Tyranids have been driven together into a sector-engulfing evolutionary arms race, features Orks but not Tyranids.

2)These big boxes are all $400+ here now, it's frankly insulting.
1. The box set has Krieg, who haven't seen an update in like 15 years, I'm willing to give them a pass. Also the Nids are getting featured in the 40k Octarius campaign book, so maybe they'll get some models that way?

2. I'm not buying the box set personally, I'm getting the core rulebook that I assume will come out right alongside it.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 11, 2021, 12:43:49 AM
The box set has Krieg, who haven't seen an update in like 15 years

The basic Tyranid infantry hasn't seen an update in twenty one years.

Quote2. I'm not buying the box set personally, I'm getting the core rulebook that I assume will come out right alongside it.

I can't imagine paying money for shoddy GW rules, but you do you.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What would GW have to do to make you say this?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Bring Asia-Pacific pricing in-line with UK and US pricing.

Then half those prices.

Spoiler
Or buy the AvP license.
[close]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 11, 2021, 07:23:22 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 11, 2021, 12:43:49 AM
The box set has Krieg, who haven't seen an update in like 15 years

The basic Tyranid infantry hasn't seen an update in twenty one years.

Quote2. I'm not buying the box set personally, I'm getting the core rulebook that I assume will come out right alongside it.

I can't imagine paying money for shoddy GW rules, but you do you.
You don't even know what the rules are, lmao

The well-worn adage is true, "No one hates [y] more than fans of [y]."

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I know that the last time GW published legitimately good rules was in 2009 (War of the Ring), which is now only available in a bastardized version and seems to have been a fluke in the first place.

I know that GW charges Premium Product Prices for most of their rules, and that the quality of those rules has, with few exceptions, ranged from "somewhat acceptable" to "abysmal" when compared with other (cheaper) wargames, for over 20 years.

I know that a cycle of partially broken rules, and the updates/fixes for them, is a core part of the GW business model.

They make mostly excellent models, which they over-charge for (especially where I am). In the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, they were making some truly enthralling lore - and lots of it. They have rarely, ever, made a non-broken game system.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I dunno man, 8th edition was fun (haven't played 9th), Aeronautica Imperialis is fun, I've heard a ton of praise for Adeptus Titanicus, and Kill Team was neat. I've heard a lot of praise for Warcry, so maybe the new Kill Team will hew more in that direction.

Like I said, you don't know what the rule set is. Maybe you have reason to be skeptical based on your past experiences but automatically discarding it wholesale before it's even out is, well... "you do you" I guess.

Also I'm of the opinion that they never stopped making cool lore.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Do you read the novels?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 12, 2021, 05:26:07 PM
Do you read the novels?
Off and on, if it's a subject that interests me. I don't read much Space Marine stuff.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed