All Star Wars

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,855,180 times)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: kwisatz on Jan 26, 2018, 04:16:22 AM
I guess there are a tad bit more haterz than usual around this time cause with SW its really all or nothing for a lot of people. If the main storytelling choices don't work for them then the rest of the film is pure shit too. For them the film is literally over the moment Luke throws the saber.

I think maybe Marvel has a lot more casual viewers than one assumes on first sight, who are way more forgiving when it comes to these Death Star budget products. The Marvel films can be lighter by their mere nature though. You just cant win as a creative person in charge when it comes to SW and your name isnt George. And as of late your pretty much chanceless even then...

TLJ is a heavily flawd film though. The LOTR films for example play in a whole different league IMO. They have a well written foundation though, maybe thats still key after all--

As someone who didn't rate it, it was an accumulation of things. I think  I could have bought the bad jokes or the character treatment or the new story lines in isolation, getting smacked around the face with a wet kipper continually scene to scene though was probably a bit too much. I guess that's also why some people liked it.

QuoteMarvel films are relatively new and appeal to a wide range of p̶l̶e̶b̶e̶i̶a̶n̶s̶ people. Can't really ruin 50 years of mythology for the toxic fanboys in the crowd.

With comics I guess your base is way more divided up into smaller sub groups. I was a Wolverine and X-men guy, so Thor and Captain America didn't really appeal to me ( not in a deep way). Star Wars is like one giant ball of fans.

SM

SM

QuoteYou just cant win as a creative person in charge when it comes to SW and your name isnt George.

When your name is George - people still shit on you.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Jan 26, 2018, 05:28:05 AM
QuoteYou just cant win as a creative person in charge when it comes to SW and your name isnt George.

When your name is George - people still shit on you.

kwisatz

kwisatz

QuoteMarvel films are relatively new and appeal to a wide range of p̶l̶e̶b̶e̶i̶a̶n̶s̶ people. Can't really ruin 50 years of mythology for the fanboys.

The comic book scene is just as old (older) though. Still im getting the impression these films are better received by the hardcore fan scene than the ST and the PT. I might be wrong though, im not really much into it.

QuoteAs someone who didn't rate it, it was an accumulation of things. I think  I could have bought the bad jokes or the character treatment or the new story lines in isolation, getting smacked around the face with a wet kipper continually scene to scene though was probably a bit too much. I guess that's also why some people liked it.

I guess the main difference is your are still repeatedly trying to get into it and keep contemplating why certain aspects just dont work for you. And even then you are at least willing to overlook some of them.

The hardcore hater tilts when he sees Rian Johnsons face and starts building the bomb.

QuoteWhen your name is George - people still shit on you.

The phrase probably still works if i swap George for Lawrence. Not for long now though. Upcoming Solo film will definitely make sure hes gonna join the ranks of people who destroyed SW.

Vermillion

Vermillion

His extended novelization is his attempt to fix/correct and appease the haters. 
Albeit slightly.

Master

Master

Fix how? How one can fix shitty film with a book?

Vertigo

Vertigo

By making David emulate the aliens rather than create them.

Master

Master

How thoes this change the film? How many will acknowledge info from some shitty tie in book over news from film?

SM

SM

People who get really, really cross at movies.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Ridiculous. Disney doesn't have faith in their movies. Jesus. It's embarrassing.

QuoteChina Drops Star Wars from Han Solo Title After Last Jedi Bombed

The Last Jedi bombed so bad in China that it was barely in theaters for 2 whole weeks. Chinese movie theaters yanked the movie from rotation after a spectacular drop in profits from its debut to the second weekend. Fingers were pointed, but it came down to a few specific reasons. First of all, the first movies to be shown in China on the big screen were The Force Awakens and Rogue One. China just doesn't have the love affair with the franchise because they didn't have it from the start. Additionally, some Chinese critics believe that the actors and actresses in The Last Jedi weren't pretty enough, which sounds funny, but it's true.

Which leads us to Solo: A Star Wars Story, which is set to open in May for the United States and shortly afterwards for China. The official title for the movie in China is reportedly Ranger Solo and they completely dropped the Star Wars from the original title. The hope being that people will go see the movie not knowing that it's a Star Wars movie and that's affiliated with The Last Jedi. The logic seems sound, but the movie is already more than likely doomed for the Chinese market anyway. It might even be doomed in the United States, but it's far too early to tell.

https://movieweb.com/han-solo-different-chinese-title-star-wars/

https://twitter.com/weier1231997/status/956880384192425987

Also ...

Box office after 43 days

The Force Awakens
$887
The Last Jedi $607

Wonder how much money episode IX will make. Less for sure.

Highland

Highland

It'll definitely make less, I'm interested to see how much though.

Not every trilogy makes less though, pretty sure The Return of The King made serious dosh. Although it did have a story....

Vertigo

Vertigo

A better comparison than RotK might be the Hobbit trilogy - or indeed the Star Wars prequel trilogy. The first part of the trilogy makes the most money with all of them. In each of these cases, there's an existing film legacy there - people are going to see a continuation of the LotR films or Star Wars original trilogy, respectively. Presumably a sizeable share of those customers were disappointed and didn't come back for the subsequent films.

If Last Jedi's box office performance continues at this rate, it'll be a slightly smaller drop-off than Phantom Menace -> Attack of the Clones (a quarter rather than a third), but much bigger than Unexpected Journey -> Desolation of Smaug (a tenth).

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 28, 2018, 12:29:55 AM
A better comparison than RotK might be the Hobbit trilogy - or indeed the Star Wars prequel trilogy. The first part of the trilogy makes the most money with all of them. In each of these cases, there's an existing film legacy there - people are going to see a continuation of the LotR films or Star Wars original trilogy, respectively. Presumably a sizeable share of those customers were disappointed and didn't come back for the subsequent films.

If Last Jedi's box office performance continues at this rate, it'll be a slightly smaller drop-off than Phantom Menace -> Attack of the Clones (a quarter rather than a third), but much bigger than Unexpected Journey -> Desolation of Smaug (a tenth).

There was no need for a Hobbit Trilogy, it even felt like that while you were watching it.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I hated it. Just pointing out the trend.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I didn't like it, not because it defied my fanboy expectations, but because there were too many characters and scenes that I felt were pointless.  Finn and Poe - I did not care about their arc at all.  The lady with purple hair and the asian girl, just rubbish characters.  Cutesy moments apt for a kids film, way worse than the Ewoks (I never minded the Ewoks, at one point I understood the criticism but they are not bad at all, at least they had a purpose).

I liked The Force Awakens on a surface level, not much deeper things to it, but as an escapist fantasy with a female lead it is acceptable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed