Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 122,581 times)

reecebomb

reecebomb

Ridley Scott is a sellout, he could have done a film that really explores the engineers world and continues the story of Shaw and David in unprecedented ways but instead gave us almost the same movie, while simultaneously f**king up the classic lore and as a result, make Prometheus and ALIEN worse in retrospect. RT score is currently higher than i thought it would be, but having actually read most of the reviews, even the positive ones doesn't imply that it's much more than a run of the mill experience that looks like a 100 million dollars.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Overreact much? Fandom is often the worst place for objective critisism.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: reecebomb on May 08, 2017, 09:04:56 PM
Ridley Scott is a sellout, he could have done a film that really explores the engineers world and continues the story of Shaw and David in unprecedented ways but instead gave us almost the same movie, while simultaneously f**king up the classic lore and as a result, make Prometheus and ALIEN worse in retrospect. RT score is currently higher than i thought it would be, but having actually read most of the reviews, even the positive ones doesn't imply that it's much more than a run of the mill experience that looks like a 100 million dollars.
Thanks, i needed a good laugh

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 08, 2017, 09:14:03 PM

Maybe i am overreacting, i will see it in couple days. Actually after having read the reviews, i'm far from being the only one who thinks that it will further diminish the impact of the classic movies without offering much new to the series. 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Positive:

QuoteBut it's Fassbender's show. He is beautifully nuanced when playing both David and Walter. Subtle differences in approach to what is basically the same character displays a depth and understanding of what's required to make us engage with this particular journey. It makes us question who really is the monster - the beast, or its maker?

Visually, Alien Covenant is never quite as polished as its predecessor, but it still looks stunning. And the latest iteration of the alien - which comes in a few forms here - is a triumph. Much like the film itself.

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/movie-review-of-alien-covenant-13005897

Z-101

Z-101

Quote from: T Dog on May 08, 2017, 07:39:39 PM
Quote from: Citadel on May 08, 2017, 07:36:33 PM
Quote from: T Dog on May 08, 2017, 07:33:42 PM
I read a review that said it takes an hour for the crew to land on the planet. WTF! what the hell is the first hour of the film then?

The end must be mega rushed then.
Which review was this?

Also, I know it's not the Prometheus sequel we wanted. But it's also the Alien film many wanted. I adored Prometheus and admit I'd like to see more of the mythology presented in it. But I'm just grateful the franchise is in Ridley's hands for now, I don't want to stir up shit about what could have been or what should have been. I enjoy the moment, and if done well I look forward to Covenant's sequel.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/alien-covenant-may-be-the-biggest-disappointment-of-th-1794898330

Sounds like its a very messy movie

Maybe you should show up at the theater 45 min late to skip all the build up and get right to the good parts...hahaha seriously though I might do that....

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2017, 07:57:08 PM
I read a review that said it takes an hour for the crew to land on the planet. WTF! what the hell is the first hour of the film then?

I'm fairly certain it isn't an hour. Maybe half hour or so.

Didnt it take 45 minutes for the marines to finally enter HH?

in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 nothing is really happening way pass the halfway point and apparently people like that movie.

salomonj

salomonj

Rotten Tomatoes consensus:
"Alien: Covenant delivers another satisfying round of close-quarters deep-space terror, even if it doesn't take the saga in any new directions."

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Quote from: DaddyYautja on May 08, 2017, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2017, 07:57:08 PM

I'm fairly certain it isn't an hour. Maybe half hour or so.

Didnt it take 45 minutes for the marines to finally enter HH?

in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 nothing is really happening way pass the halfway point and apparently people like that movie.

Yeah, people are exaggerating the amount of time spent before landing on the planet in Covenant. It's maybe 30 minutes.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: reecebomb on May 08, 2017, 09:19:33 PM

Maybe i am overreacting, i will see it in couple days. Actually after having read the reviews, i'm far from being the only one who thinks that it will further diminish the impact of the classic movies without offering much new to the series.

The film appears, thus far, to be a critical success... There is a positive consensus. That of course doesn't mean you have to like it.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 08, 2017, 10:19:06 PM
Quote from: reecebomb on May 08, 2017, 09:19:33 PM

The film appears, thus far, to be a critical success... There is a positive consensus. That of course doesn't mean you have to like it.
Ummm I think most critics are saying it's ok at best. A lot of middling reviews and Prometheus mostly got 3 star reviews too. So I think its a middling conscensus not a rip roaring sucess.

nanison

nanison

Yay an alien reboot, sorry I mean yawn
So in roughly 4 hours of space jockey prequels we see them alive and kicking for about 10min.

newagescamartist

Quote from: salomonj on May 08, 2017, 10:15:03 PM
"Alien: Covenant delivers another satisfying round of close-quarters deep-space terror, even if it doesn't take the saga in any new directions."

That consensus is kind of funny because it's dividing people due to the new direction.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 08, 2017, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: salomonj on May 08, 2017, 10:15:03 PM

That consensus is kind of funny because it's dividing people due to the new direction.

the average viewer is not  worrying about the lore but the basics.

So they are probably annoyed that it's another space crew that gets drawn into a certain planet that infected them with alien monsters.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Now it needs to pass $111 million and sequel is good to go.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed