Homage's **spoilers**

Started by shakermakerman, Jul 09, 2010, 10:01:21 PM

Author
Homage's **spoilers** (Read 14,559 times)

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 10, 2010, 12:36:18 AM
Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 10, 2010, 12:33:42 AM
Funny.

As flawed as AvP was, it did quite a few things right. The way it referenced previous films was one of those things.

Are you serious?
The first AVP had some nice subtle homage's.

CEP

CEP

The Enemy of my enemy was not an AvP homage. That's saying has been around for years. Way before AvP grabbed it.

What the F**K are you was not a homage. There were a few. Some were in your face, others were subtle...but it was not that bad. You guys are exaggerating if you think it was that bad.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

"Enemy of my enemy" has implications associated with AvP amongst the fanbase now.

If they didn't want to make the association, that line wouldn't have been there.

CEP

CEP

Yeah no. I guess Winston Churchill ripped off of AvP too huh?

ElderPredator

ElderPredator

Not all of them bother me, but dude, to be honest some of them really annoyed me.

the log traps

darthmaul1

darthmaul1

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 10, 2010, 12:22:45 AM
Oh the homages annoyed the living hell out of me, half of the damn movie was a homage!

In my opinion, I think anyone who knows the difference between a good sequel and a bad knows that the maximum number of homages that you might be able to get away with in a sequel is one.  I thought Rodriguez knew this, especially after AvP:R which was a horrible homage trainwreck disaster.

I will list the things that I remember:

- Music, almost entire soundtrack (not a big deal, but not really new either.)
- Nikolai using the minigun.
- "What the hell are you?"  Royce
- Hanzo/Falconer fight (the beginning, Billy all day)
- "Kill me, I'm here!" Royce
- "If it comes to that, I'll do us both." Isabelle.  From Aliens, WTF?
- Backstory of Dutch's team and Predator 1 + Royce in mud (homage, but also a genuine addition to the story, kind of cool I think.)
+ Forgot "The enemy of my enemy..."  Royce, AvP homage for the fail!

Another thing that had me cringing was the falling into the water scene, it just looked so much like Arnold's falling scene in Predator.

That's all I can remember, but holy cow.  Dear screenplay writers, if you would like your movie to be taken seriously, do not use more than one homage to a previous film.  Please, for the love of god.  I feel that removing all of this crap and replacing with original things would have done nothing but help the movie.  I really enjoyed the "I'm alive" saying that Noland and Royce used, very fitting to the film and the Predator theme in general.

The music was great!!!!! It was different enough but still had the same theme. If avp had done that it would of been a bit better

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: CEP on Jul 10, 2010, 12:47:57 AM

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the line was played up so heavily in the first film that there's a level of audience association with it, especially within the fanbase.

If you've seen AvP, you're gonna think of it when you hear the line in this movie.

Any director worth their salt knows this.

The line was a nod in the direction of AvP 2004.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 10, 2010, 01:13:39 AM

I'm saying that the line was played up so heavily in the first film that there's a level of audience association with it, especially within the fanbase.

If you've seen AvP, you're gonna think of it when you hear the line in this movie.

As much as I hate to I gotta agree with him here. I thought of AvP as soon as heard that line uttered and chuckled, but I doubt they did that on purpose though.

ElderPredator

ElderPredator

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 10, 2010, 01:13:39 AM

Actually when I heard that line I didn't really think of AvP at all, but that's just me.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

MadassAlex is right, in my opinion.  I thought of AvP instantly.  Facepalm.

And I disagree that "What the f*** are you" wasn't a homage.  Huh?  That was the closing, climactic line in the first Predator, which was HUGE since the Predator himself said it with his mouth.  Also used in AvP:R by the general, to homage the first film.

Homage city.

Spider One

Spider One

they were not that big of a deal for me. I enjoyed them.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

There's a lot of talk about the music in other threads.  I wanted to say that if it was just the music, maybe with 1 other homage line from a previous movie, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

It was the music + half of the first movie stuck into the new one.  Come on, make up your own material, it seems like you're desperate to keep the fans and too afraid to try new things.  Why do movie executives think that if they throw in a bunch of one-liners from the old movie, somehow it will excite the fans?  A fantastic movie with zero reference to the older films would excite everyone more than that.  Just my thoughts.

SiL

SiL

"Over here, over here. Turn around."

Vemados

Vemados

I thought the Over Here scene was crazy as hell! Loved it.

I was REALLY surprised at the Aliens references. "I'll do us both" and the score had the same cues from Aliens that Avatar took too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed