Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 149,503 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Alien: Genisys  :D

Might as well be an alternative title for Prometheus to restore the title continuity ofl ---

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I liked Genysis in spots. Take away the 'copter and bus chases and trim the final fight a tad and it's actually a pretty solid film. Not a classic, but I'd watch it again.

kwisatz

kwisatz

I dont know, i only saw it once on a computer screen, but i remember that at no time i had the feeling i was watching a Terminator movie.

I wouldnt exclude the possibility that i was heavily biased though, due to the whole negative fuss going on.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 09:35:43 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2017, 09:14:40 PM
QuoteWhy are people here upset about Ripley "going back for the cat" in Alien exactly? She left the cat literally in front of the enterance to the Narcissus after being cut off by the alien...her "going back for him" was taking two steps to the left before abandoning ship.

No when she left the shuttle to head back up to the bridge to look for him.
Eh, that's kind of grasping at straws as well, I think. She was already on her own and needed to rendezvous with Parker and Lambert anyway. Nothing about the bridge was less safe for her than the shuttle. Plus, it was close by. If anything, that whole part of the movie subverts the "wander off to die" trope - Parker and Lambert get killed by staying together, while Ripley survives by going off on her own.
Not much of a subversion when they essentially split up for no good reason to die. Also, nice usage of the frozen in fear trope. If Alien was released today it'd probably be hated too.
To be honest, I think some of you people are a bit delusional. Like, you didn't like Covenant, which is fine, but to keep on insisting that everything in Covenant is stupid while everything in Alien and Aliens is perfectly rational decision making is just... a bit too much.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 25, 2017, 10:27:52 PM
QuoteWhy are people here upset about Ripley "going back for the cat" in Alien exactly? She left the cat literally in front of the enterance to the Narcissus after being cut off by the alien...her "going back for him" was taking two steps to the left before abandoning ship.

Eh, that's kind of grasping at straws as well, I think. She was already on her own and needed to rendezvous with Parker and Lambert anyway. Nothing about the bridge was less safe for her than the shuttle. Plus, it was close by. If anything, that whole part of the movie subverts the "wander off to die" trope - Parker and Lambert get killed by staying together, while Ripley survives by going off on her own.
Not much of a subversion when they essentially split up for no good reason to die. Also, nice usage of the frozen in fear trope. If Alien was released today it'd probably be hated too.
They do, but the trope is for the group to survive and the loner to die. The movie actually plays on it, which is why people were scared for Ripley's life while she was looking for the cat.
Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 25, 2017, 10:27:52 PM
Also, nice usage of the frozen in fear trope. If Alien was released today it'd probably be hated too.
Lambert was established as a coward very early on in the film. Pretty much from the moment they land on LV-426. She didn't want to go investigate the derelict and asked Kane and Dallas to get out of there when she saw it. Her being frozen in fear is completely in character.

SM

SM

The bridge isn't close by, but otherwise I agree.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2017, 11:21:47 PM
The bridge isn't close by, but otherwise I agree.
Ripley goes looking for Jonesy after hearing him meowing. If she could hear him, he had to have been close by.

SM

SM

She heard him over the open comm channel.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2017, 11:35:19 PM
She heard him over the open comm channel.
How does she know to look for him on the bridge then?
The way the movie sets it up, all she does to get to the bridge is climb to the upper deck.

SM

SM

It cuts to Parker and Lambert between Ripley leaving the shuttle and climbing up to A deck.  The bridge is at the bow of the ship, but she looks on A deck in general before heading to the bridge.  The shuttle garage is under one of the struts that connects the engines to the main hull.

As for knowing where he was - same way she knew where to look for Parker and Lambert I guess.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2017, 11:48:15 PM
It cuts to Parker and Lambert between Ripley leaving the shuttle and climbing up to A deck.  The bridge is at the bow of the ship, but she looks on A deck in general before heading to the bridge.  The shuttle garage is under one of the struts that connects the engines to the main hull.

As for knowing where he was - same way she knew where to look for Parker and Lambert I guess.
She knew where Parker and Lambert were because they discussed where they would go beforehand (to get coolant for the air support system). If the deck and the shuttle aren't close by and she heard Jonesy over the comms, that's a pretty silly oversight.

SM

SM

Why?

C deck is pretty big and she ran straight to where they were after they already visited different rooms.

I can only speculate, but it would make sense that there's something in the comm system that tells you where people are communicating from.  Same as how phones show caller ID.

Paranoid Android

Parker and Lambert originally visited a room to pick up a cart, and then went to the coolant room to pick up the coolants. Lambert makes a ton of noise while sorting through coolants, and that's where they die. Ripley runs over there because it's the most sensible place to look for them.

Phones show caller ID because it's a specific person calling another specific person. If you have an open comm, anyone can talk from anywhere and you'd have no way of knowing where they are.

SM

SM

We have no way of saying either way how the comm system works.  It might show where people are calling from or it might not.  Since we don't know, there's no way to say if it's an oversight, silly or otherwise.

As for Parker and Lambert, they get a cart from somewhere, head into a chamber and get canisters from one of the 'copter' ships where Lambert drops some and makes a lot of noise.  Then head into another chamber where they eventually die.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 08:57:42 PM
^Is this guy supposed to be the local troll?

I didn't know it was still a thing...

No, if you like didn't like Covenant you automatically like Pulse Rifles and Queens and Jimmy Blomkaff. That's just how it works.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed