Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 149,527 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Hemi on Jul 25, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
Did he save them or his Neomorphs.

Hmmm good point

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 12:50:13 PM
Did he? I was under the impression that the Neomorph ran away after getting hit by rifle fire. When was it established that David "saved" anyone in Covenant? All he did was pop off a flare in a dramatic pose.

He did. One runs away/dies and the other doesn't retreat until David shoots off his flare.

QuoteBut for the sake of argument, let's assume you're correct and David did save their lives with the flares because Neomorphs are scared of lighte? I guess?
It still doesn't explain why the crew takes David's word for the giant alien graveyard being safe, especially when seeing, with their own two eyes, that the place doesn't even have doors...The crew does absolutely nothing to establish their safety other than trusting David.

David is a model similar to Walter. They can be forgiven an early willingness to trust him. David has managed to survive on his own in the same doorless place for 10 years. They still have their weapons and they're no longer out in the open. We've seen their weaponry can at least drive the Neos off so they've still got some degree of power in their technology.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 25, 2017, 12:53:24 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 12:50:13 PM
Did he? I was under the impression that the Neomorph ran away after getting hit by rifle fire. When was it established that David "saved" anyone in Covenant? All he did was pop off a flare in a dramatic pose.

He did. One runs away/dies and the other doesn't retreat until David shoots off his flare.

QuoteBut for the sake of argument, let's assume you're correct and David did save their lives with the flares because Neomorphs are scared of lighte? I guess?
It still doesn't explain why the crew takes David's word for the giant alien graveyard being safe, especially when seeing, with their own two eyes, that the place doesn't even have doors...The crew does absolutely nothing to establish their safety other than trusting David.

David is a model similar to Walter. They can be forgiven an early willingness to trust him. David has managed to survive on his own in the same doorless place for 10 years. They still have their weapons and they're no longer out in the open. We've seen their weaponry can at least drive the Neos off so they've still got some degree of power in their technology.
They don't do anything other than trusting him, and you can clearly see the place is unsafe.

windebieste

windebieste

In the context of the film itself, the Covenant crew felt safe because:

1. They followed a complete stranger after being attacked by a hostile alien lifeform.

Largely because they had no choice.  Their ride was a burning pile of rubble.  Remember?   

2. Into a giant alien city which had no doors.
It did have a door.  One that could be closed behind them and made secure.   A gigantic friggin' round one.

3. Said giant alien city was found to be filled with corpses.
Once again, they had no choice.

4. After being asked if the place is safe, the suspicious stranger told them that it was.
Which it was, as far everyone was concerned.  At the very least safer than being outside.  We don't know if David was aware of the Neomorph's ability to scale walls.   For all we know, he was telling the truth.  His attempt to tame the creature may have been the first time he's encountered one inside the building alive that wasn't one of his own experiments.

Would you feel safe if a stranger took you hiding in a doorless alien graveyard?
Feeling safe has nothing to do with it.  There was no other choice.  'safer', sure. Truly secure and ready to sit down watch some sitcom with their new found buddy..?  Maybe not.

-Windebieste.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 25, 2017, 01:01:34 PM

1. They followed a complete stranger after being attacked by a hostile alien lifeform.

Largely because they had no choice.  Their ride was a burning pile of rubble.  Remember?   

It did have a door.  One that could be closed behind them and made secure.   A gigantic friggin' round one.

4. After being asked if the place is safe, the suspicious stranger told them that it was.
Which it was, as far everyone was concerned.  At the very least safer than being outside.  We don't know if David was aware of the Neomorph's ability to scale walls.   For all we know, he was telling the truth.  His attempt to tame the creature may have been the first time he's encountered one inside the building alive that wasn't one of his own experiments.

Would you feel safe if a stranger took you hiding in a doorless alien graveyard?
Feeling safe has nothing to do with it.  There was no other choice.  'safer', sure. Truly secure and ready to sit down watch some sitcom with their new found buddy..?  Maybe not.

-Windebieste.
The argument was that Rosenthal wandered off by herself because the Covenant crew felt safe. If they didn't feel safe, she had no reason to wander off by herself.

And you seem to have missed the point of my post completely by thinking the issue with the crew hiding in Engineerville was the location itself. The issue is with the crew doing nothing to establish their safety other than trusting the word of a stranger while hiding in a place that doesn't even resemble a safe place.

windebieste

windebieste

What else would you do? 

Go back to the destroyed lander, build a camp fire? ...sing a few songs? 

-Windebieste.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 25, 2017, 01:10:39 PM
What else would you do? 

-Windebieste.

And with these creepies in the wheat, that prolly would not have lasted past the second stanza of "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt"...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Feeling safe or not, it still struck me as a bit dumb for Rosenthal to wander off alone.

Just as it would've been dumb for Vasquez to wander off by herself for a wash once they'd locked operations down in Aliens.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 01:07:58 PM

-Windebieste.
The argument was that Rosenthal wandered off by herself because the Covenant crew felt safe. If they didn't feel safe, she had no reason to wander off by herself.

And you seem to have missed the point of my post completely by thinking the issue with the crew hiding in Engineerville was the location itself. The issue is with the crew doing nothing to establish their safety other than trusting the word of a stranger while hiding in a place that doesn't even resemble a safe place.
I think I see what you're saying, but I don't understand where else they might've gone with David that would have advanced the plot in a similar manner.  Sorry to be dense...

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2017, 01:18:20 PM
Feeling safe or not, it still struck me as a bit dumb for Rosenthal to wander off alone.

Just as it would've been dumb for Vasquez to wander off by herself for a wash once they'd locked operations down in Aliens.

She didn't look like the washing type to me

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Well, they had all just witnessed the death of their friends, the destruction of their only way home, and some incredibly brutal attacks. "Dumb" is probably a good word choice, in the sense of the state of shock or surprise that renders a person speechless.

Paranoid Android

What else would you do? 

-Windebieste.
For starters make a map of the place to see where exactly I am and where are the entrances to my position. Then barricade said entrances. Then probably interrogate the nice stranger about all the dead bodies surrounding me under the assumption that whatever killed them could kill me. Then split guard duty shifts between the crew to stay alert and see if the barricades I established hold. I don't think any of this is unreasonable given the situation.

I think that's more to do with the poor manner in which the script handles her death. Rosenthal doesn't do anything significant to the situation the characters are in when the script sends her off to die. If she died while standing on guard duty, I think people would've been more forgiving, but this abysmal script can't even give its characters a plausible death scenario.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 01:24:16 PM
What else would you do? 

-Windebieste.
For starters make a map of the place to see where exactly I am and where are the entrances to my position. Then barricade said entrances. Then probably interrogate the nice stranger about all the dead bodies surrounding me under the assumption that whatever killed them could kill me. Then split guard duty shifts between the crew to stay alert and see if the barricades I established hold. I don't think any of this is unreasonable given the situation.

I think that's more to do with the poor manner in which the script handles her death. Rosenthal doesn't do anything significant to the situation the characters are in when the script sends her off to die. If she died while standing on guard duty, I think people would've been more forgiving, but this abysmal script can't even give its characters a plausible death scenario.

I doubt it, it's not like being put on sentry duty isn't a signal of imminent death in movie land. That's just as much a trope if you ask me.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

My problem with Rosenthal's demise isn't that it's a trope, it's that it's a dumb trope. Having a character separate from the group for no logical reason - in a situation where you'd absolutely want to stick together for the added security that entails - just so they can be offed.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jul 25, 2017, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 01:24:16 PM
What else would you do? 

-Windebieste.

I doubt it, it's not like being put on sentry duty isn't a signal of imminent death in movie land. That's just as much a trope if you ask me.

Oh it is, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that AT LEAST that's something to do with the situation. It's better than "I'm gonna go wash myself"; it is by no means clever screenwriting.

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jul 25, 2017, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 01:07:58 PM

-Windebieste.

I think I see what you're saying, but I don't understand where else they might've gone with David that would have advanced the plot in a similar manner.  Sorry to be dense...
There's no problem with them going to Engineerville with David (other than the crew missing a giant alien city within walking distance while landing there in the first place). The problem is that while David and Walter sit around talking, everybody else also sits around talking as if they are safe instead of trying to come up with a plan secure the area.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed