Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 199,083 times)

Luckygreycat

Luckygreycat

Quote from: FACEBOX on Oct 28, 2007, 04:26:01 AM
Quote from: Luckygreycat on Oct 28, 2007, 04:15:47 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but I wonder if this whole vomiting thing was just born out of necessity.  In other words, maybe the Strause brothers would have liked to have a regular queen as well as Predalien and would have liked to stay within the true lore of the franchise perhaps with a superfacehugger but it just wasn't in the budget.  The more I think about it the more it feels that way to me.  Why would they want to create such a radical departure unnecessarily.  It just doesn't make sense.  They wanted a Predalien and lots of warrior aliens but didn't have the budget for a queen also so there you have it.  A vomiting impregnating Predalien born out of necessity.  Really, without a regular queen its the only way you could do it.  If this is the case I don't think the Strause brothers could admit it even if they wanted to and I wouldn't blame them.  You know how FOX is.  The Strause brothers are probably victims of the stinking bottom line which is really all FOX cares about.  Hence a vomiting impregnating Predalien.  Or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.  :-\

I could have thought of a better solution in one second.
Pred-ship crashed, releasing 50 facehuggers into the environment.
Boom. AVP 2.

Perfect.  Can you imagine facehuggers crawling all over the town on the buildings and in the trees just waiting to pounce.  How cool.

Colin_Strause

Colin_Strause

This must set the record for the longest thread on something no one has actually seen yet. :)

13thpred

13thpred

I just want to see it before I really judge it.

Does it just hold them down then throw up into their mouths with the eggs in the puke.

or does it just pin them down then shoves it tounge down the victims throat and then the second mouth releases the eggs into the stomach?

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on Oct 28, 2007, 04:42:26 AM
QuoteI could have thought of a better solution in one second.
Pred-ship crashed, releasing 50 facehuggers into the environment.
Boom. AVP 2.

Might not be the only reason, but that level of excess in facehuggers and the people they take seem prone to make some heavy headlines, drawing media attention from beyond merely the town.  Keep the number down to a few, and the missing peoples will just slip under the radar of the rest of the world until the government can move in and hush hush it.

what? And having a shitload of aliens overrun your town, slips under the radar? The government is involved in this film, you see military generals in the trailer. They decide to nuke the town. Who would believe headlines involving alien parasites anyway? (crocodile boy saves santa..etc. lol, you know what i mean, the fake newspapers that have that sort of thing in them)

All the people searching for the hunter and his son, most likely go missing or end up dead. How does that not draw attention? So if they're killed by wolf and not facehugged, no suspicions arise? You could have had a huge chunk of the search party find the crashed ship and the eggs and get facehugged. Then the aliens which came out of them could have hunted down others and brought to the remaining eggs to be hosts, while wolf tries to stop them and deals with the people shooting at him in the middle of it all.

Otnip

Otnip

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Oct 28, 2007, 04:46:15 AM
This must set the record for the longest thread on something no one has actually seen yet. :)

Perhaps :D Colin, are queens only born fully developed if a super facehugger impregnates something and the queen is born from them? Because thats the main confusion going on right now about this new life cycle development following canon. 

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

well, if you wanted to get people talking about this new reproductive method featured in the film, you did succeed, i will give you that.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Also you seem to imply that an idea that sounds completely retarded may still have the possibility of looking great and making perfect sense once we've all seen the film. Sorry but the notion is laughable, and belongs in something like hmm.. "Alien vs Hunter" maybe. lol

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

You had to know it'd be a controversial direction when you filmed it, surely?

As for us naysayers...we await the film to prove us wrong as to whether it's a good idea or not.  :)

My predictions would be; best case scenario the addition works but never shows up again...worst case is future polls asking "Which AvP was worse?"

Luckygreycat

Luckygreycat

Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 28, 2007, 04:26:22 AM
Quote from: Luckygreycat on Oct 28, 2007, 04:15:47 AM
Back to the main point. You know its not like the directors and effects crew got everything else exactly perfect to the point where this is just going to be the only thing people take issue with. Also for the first film that the strausse brothers have done, they should not have tried to do controversial and far-reaching things, save that for when you already have a list of badass films under your belt.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but I wonder if this whole vomiting thing was just born out of necessity.  In other words, maybe the Strause brothers would have liked to have a regular queen as well as Predalien and would have liked to stay within the true lore of the franchise perhaps with a superfacehugger but it just wasn't in the budget.  The more I think about the more it feels that way to me.  Why would they want to create such a radical departure unnecessarily.  It just doesn't make sense.  They wanted a Predalien and lots of warrior aliens but didn't have the budget for a queen also so there you have it.  A vomiting impregnating Predalien born out of necessity.  Really, without a regular queen its the only way you could do it.  If this is the case I don't think the Strause brothers could admit it even if they wanted to and I wouldn't blame them.  You know how FOX is.  The Strause brothers are probably victims of the stinking bottom line which is really all FOX cares about.  Hence a vomiting impregnating Predalien.  Or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.  :-\

If that's the case, Colin had every oppurtunity to explain that, but never did. He even stated "its one of the coolest scenes in the movie" so he obviously likes the fact that it was included in the film as opposed to, saying "f**k it, we need something in the absence of a queen to tie the story together, lets just do the best we can with it."

That's true but we have to remember that this is Colin's job and how he makes a living.  If he came out and said that it was out of necessity it would sound like s**t and make FOX sound like the greedy $$$ mongers that they really are.  We have to remember that in the end Colin is still being employed by FOX and is attempting to make an entrance into directing.  Respectfully, of course he is going to say its one of the coolest scenes in the movie whether he thinks it is or not.  Inside he may be cringing and wishing they could have done it differently if they had more money.  Or not.

Also its not the only thing they could have done without showing a queen. They didn't need to have the predalien molt into a queen at all or do this regurgitation. Why would it not be sufficient in the budget to have a bunch of eggs on the crashed ship? There you have lots of aliens without the need for this bullshit. The lack of a huge crested queen head would saved money and time on the predalien design, would it not?
The tension could have still been that one of them was bound to have a queen facehugger, and wolf has to get to it to stop it from impregnating someone with a queen embryo, while trying to stop the other aliens and the predalien(who could have still been the end battle by the way) You'd never have to see the queen burst out and if you did, a small chestburster can't cost that much money, especially if it was partially c.g.i

I like your style.  Its incredible that some of the ideas that people on this forum come up with within seconds are 10 times more compelling than what they have come up with.  Your idea would have worked well and likely been within budget.  I don't think molting belongs in the lore and not vomiting either.  I guess we have to expect FOX to screw it up to some degree.  They've been doing that since 1987.  Alien 3, hey here's an idea, let's pick a release date when we don't even have a script and oh, lets arbitrarily kill one of the most beloved sci-fi characters ever created (Dwayne Hicks) oops.  A:R  Hey let's make it a comedy, oops.  We have to expect that they will stick their fingers in this project to some degree and well, you know.  Don't mean to bring you down.  

13thpred

13thpred

this is a pretty big wait and see moment

The Cleaner

The Cleaner

Quote from: 13thpred on Oct 28, 2007, 04:47:15 AM

or does it just pin them down then shoves it tounge down the victims throat and then the second mouth releases the eggs into the stomach?
That sounds like a pretty cool idea.

13thpred

13thpred

yeah it pretty much just does the facehuggers job for it but it would be pretty freaky to see it on screen

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 28, 2007, 04:59:55 AM

You had to know it'd be a controversial direction when you filmed it, surely?

As for us naysayers...we await the film to prove us wrong as to whether it's a good idea or not.  :)

My predictions would be; best case scenario the addition works but never shows up again...worst case is future polls asking "Which AvP was worse?"

Im sure this film is going to be at least a little better than the first one, no matter what they f**k up. You'd have to purposefully f**k with shit to not pull that off. lol. But sadly bullshit has been injected, as opposed to "returning to the roots of the franchises". Yeah i forget which classic Alien film features an alien vomiting in someone's mouth. Oh wait..there wasn't one. It is not canon anymore than ideas in the comics that take a new and weird direction that is completely unnecessary are. I suppose the alien King is next, or some xenozip made from the "royal jelly" lol.
Its not just a matter of "nothing in the other films will contradict something" its also a matter of "is it necessary and does it explain something else that needs an explanation but we've never seen, but have wondered about". I don't think the vomiting fits the latter category. The young queen thing is fine, provided there was no regular alien molting into one. That is a good example of something you know exists in the alien lore, but we've just never seen. Like the aliens actually constructing the hive. We know they do it, so a film that wanted to show that, would not be breaking canon.

However not doing your homework on the alien franchise and all the lore regarding their lifecycle/reproductive cycle is tantamount to a slap in the face of the fans. You can't introduce any idea you want and defend it by saying, "it doesn't contradict anything we already know and have seen".
By this logic, extremes of never-intended alien behavior or lifecycle adaptations could fill the gap, but they really shouldn't be resorted to. There needs to be some respect for giger's design and for what the directors of the better films of the franchise have done with it.

So here's an idea how about cut the vomit scenes from the film and save them as deleted scenes when the dvd comes out, and optional ones as well not spliced back into the film. I think that would stop everyone's bitching. But i suppose its past the editing phase. >:(

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 28, 2007, 05:09:21 AM
However not doing your homework on the alien franchise and all the lore regarding their lifecycle/reproductive cycle is tantamount to a slap in the face of the fans. You can't introduce any idea you want and defend it by saying, "it doesn't contradict anything we already know and have seen".
By this logic, extremes of never-intended alien behavior or lifecycle adaptations could fill the gap, but they really shouldn't be resorted to. There needs to be some respect for giger's design and for what the directors of the better films of the franchise have done with it.

But every movie screwed with the lifecycle in one way or another:

Aliens - killed the idea of egg-morphing by having a Queen (really there is no point to Queens if you can use egg morphing).

Alien 3 - the whole egg on the Sulaco fiasco.

Alien Resurrection - the newborn.

AVP - sped up lifecycle.

So maybe it's better if aliens could just reproduce however they see fit.  Afterall, they're alien.

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Oct 26, 2007, 08:51:52 PM
Where do you think the queen came from in Aliens? Perhaps one of the domiant warriors became a young and queen and started the process. The simple fact is that it has never been shown before, so what are you arguing about?

The problem is this was already answered in Alien 3's deleted scene with the Queen facehugger.
And if someone doesnt like that, doesnt a queen just randomly get born by normal chestbursting? There are OPTIONS, I dont know how strapped for ideas one has to be to think up vomit. Im sorry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed