Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 88,215 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: nanison on Nov 23, 2023, 02:41:17 AMDo all Ridley Scott movies have a director's cut? What about Prometheus?

Prometheus, despite desperately feeling like it is in need of another cut (preferably, one that doesn't feel like they left a monkey alone in the editing bay to do the job), does not have one.

KiramidHead

Yeah, Prometheus and Exodus could use better cuts. And stuff like The Counselor got them, and nobody needs 20 more minutes of that mess.

PullthePlug

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 22, 2023, 11:02:35 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NlPaQcPdU

This guy is so flaky, he was praising it when he came out of the cinema, but now that the bad reviews are now he hates it lol. I thought it was really great and fun. The battle scenes are out of this world. For the most part is sticks to a linear storyline, but if you aren't familiar with Napoleon history it might take a second watch to appreciate that.

kwisatz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2023, 02:34:54 PMI, admittedly, have not actually seen either cut of Kingdom of Heaven yet and I know that is something I need to remedy soon.

Local Trouble

The director's cut is the only one worth watching.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 13, 2023, 06:08:16 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 13, 2023, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 13, 2023, 04:46:10 PMI need to go watch Kingdom of Heaven again.
Better be the director's cut!

Always.  The theatrical cut is little more than a trailer.

kwisatz

kwisatz

True, the scenes with Sibylla's child alone make it almost a completely different movie.

Although even the DC can not fix Bloom's acting.. he still kinda really fits the role lookwise , so 10 or 15 minutes in I'm always mostly able to ignore that

Eva Green on the other hand is just superb in this.

Local Trouble

Marton Czokas is so good as playing a total shitheel. He doesn't get enough work.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ja, and his dynamic with Brendan Gleeson is especially great in this

They're both over-the-top and realistic at the same time. Rare and such a joy to watch

ralfy

Imagine Bondarchuk or even Kubrick coming up with a director's cut.

Nightmare Asylum

Smilion

Smilion

Straight out of the cinema. Generally, the film is good, but not on the level of some other Scott's historical epics like KoH DC, Gladiator and The Last Duel. It seems to me that the same situation as was with Kindgom of Heaven has happened again, just maybe in a less extreme sense. Film is not bad in any way, just feels over edited down, especially in the first half.

The production value is top notch, the costume design, the set design, the photography ... I think this was the best depiction of battles and the consequences of cannon fire ever depicted, I can not stress how exceptional the film is in this regard. Another positive is the soundtrack. i haven't heard much of Martin Phipps music outside War and Peace, but he really knocked it out of the park .. some really memorable music cues, that stayed in my head latter on.

As far as the acting is concerned, it is Kirby who dominates, who plays Josephine brilliantly and is the key to the film. Phoenix's take on Napoleon is slightly subversive and not exactly expected, at times, especially in the personal sphere it slips into a slight satire (which reminded me of characterization of certain House of Gucci characters). I see how French may have a problem with this depiction. The other actors simply have too little screen time to be memorable.

The main problem with the film is that I always had the feeling that it lacked important scenes between certain historical developments that would give context to why characters behave in certain ways, and dialogues that would deepen and better explain certain actions. Especially in the first hour and a half, it seemed to me that the film is really over-edited, jumping all the time from one important moment to the next, important historical moments passing by as mere vignettes, without any real depth or reason why certain things happen (if you know history you might explain certain things yourselves, but the film leaves much to interpretation). In keeping with this, film lacks focus and certain character drive, as it feels like it just goes through moments; there is a lot of consequences without any prior reasons let's say (it reminded me in that way of Exodus: Gods and Kings, which I also felt was poorly edited and characters weren't given any proper motivation -> but it's generally much better film, fear not).  A lot of it, the film tries to explain through narration of letters from Napoleon to Josephine but it still leaves confused impression.  This gets much, much better in second half, when the film finally calms down, Waterloo sequence being really masterfully done.

I have seen Poor Things, Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer in cinema (all being long movies) and this was the first, where I thought the film would really use an additional minimum of 30-45 minutes at least. Really hope the director's cut is released as soon as possible, as I think it shall fix a lot of issues  I had with the film (I also missed any mention of political reforms of France under Napoleon, especially educational, legal (Code Civil), Illyrian Provinces etc.).

Ingwar

I haven't seen it yet :) Have you ? My plans suddenly have changed but I'm gonna see it next week.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Sounds like the consensus is a decent film but not very well organized. I'll see it later today.

Edit: after returning from the theatre my initial thought is that this was not a very good film. I'm happy it was made but the final product is far from good. Joaquin Phoenix was good (not really a great fit as Napoleon though), battle scenes were alright, the direction of the storyline atrocious.3.5/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed