What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,275 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Mass Effect Revelation.

Hudson

Hudson

Finished Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot. 5/5 from me, super engaging memoir. Really intense.

Also read The Sarah Book by Scott McClanahan. Another 5/5. Heartbreaking depiction of a divorce with such crazy detail. Both of these books were hard not to finish in about a day each. They're not super long or short, but extremely engaging and entertaining. Almost to the degree of Cherry by Nico Walker.

I started There There by Tommy Orange and also Frozen Hell, the extended version of "Who Goes There?" which was recently discovered in some archives. Not bad so far.

I've been checking out some graphic novels too. The White Donkey, the book-length piece by Maximilian Uriarte, was incredible. His comic strip, Terminal Lance, is pretty integral, but I found this full-length deployment narrative to encompass a lot of true things about the Marines and deploying, and then coming home. He really nailed it.

I got the DC/Darkhorse Aliens book and re-read the Batman/Aliens books. The first one was decent, it's the one I read a few times as a kid. The characters are memorable but the whole story is kind of self-contained. I haven't read other Batman comics really so I don't know how much it remains in the spirit of that material. Batman/Aliens II kinda sucked. The first two issues were interesting, but the third just went totally nuts and ended up being goofy.

I've looked at some of the other new comics too. I thought Dead Orbit was alright, cool art but not much to it. I didn't like the ending. Dust to Dust I preferred some more. I thought they both did a great job of staying in the spirit of the films instead of going off the rails like so many of the other graphic novels do. Still need to investigate plenty more of these.

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 21, 2019, 09:38:57 AM
Been reading Alien and Predator stuff for 1,5 years nonstop and am actually almost finished and kind of fed up as well.

I've only ended up reading a few of the books per year on average. I get burned out if I read too many at a time.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 20, 2019, 08:57:26 AM
Fair. It is pretty whack. Suffered for me though because it felt as though everything that was different made the story objectively worse. It's a neat curio but I didn't think it was an especially good book.

Second was a far better read in every regard, I thought.

Not to mention the first book is pretty damn racist throughout. I don't remember how close the second one came (beyond the obvious plot elements), but maybe this is why Titan aren't reissuing them.

Wweyland

Wweyland

How many books do you read in a year?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 21, 2019, 05:15:39 PMNot to mention the first book is pretty damn racist throughout.

Yeah, that was as bizarre as it was unpleasant.

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 21, 2019, 05:15:39 PM...maybe this is why Titan aren't reissuing them.

That's actually not a bad suggestion.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I've started reading The Eye of the World. I hope to have a least a good chunk of the Wheel of Time done before Amazon airs the show next year.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 22, 2019, 10:15:27 AM

If this is a general question, then 1-3 per week.

The Old One

The Old One

I require a good bookmark.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 22, 2019, 10:15:27 AM

I fell off a bit last year but I've kept it around 30 per year on average recently.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Started to read Tarzan vs. Predator, quite fun (and cheap!) and ties into other Hollow Earth stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Huggs

Huggs

Escape from Alcatraz - by J. Campbell Bruce

The Old One

The Old One

I attained a good bookmark.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Eye of the World

Really kicking into high gear. Great stuff.

Huggs

Huggs

Spartacus - by Howard Fast

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 06, 2019, 04:50:08 AM

Would you recommend it?

I am in the mood for historical novels and the Spartacus uprising is a very interesting subject.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jul 06, 2019, 11:29:15 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 06, 2019, 04:50:08 AM

Would you recommend it?

I am in the mood for historical novels and the Spartacus uprising is a very interesting subject.

I don't know yet. I got about 2 pages in and fell asleep because it was so late.  :laugh:

But I believe it's not strictly historical. It's more of a dramatization that led to the film. I had to track down an old copy on eBay. But hey, $5 plus free shipping. Not too bad really. I hear it was so full of questionable material, the author had to sell it himself at first. I'll see if I can get a good feel for it, and I'll get in touch with you.

But I hear what you're saying. I prefer historical stuff. I've got "Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich" by Joachim Fest and "I heard you paint houses" by Charles Brandt lined up next. After that I've got a couple of novels on 9/11 and The Commission Report that I'd like to order and read.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed