What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,284 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Earlier today I finished David J. Skal's publication of the classic 1920s Dracula play, both the Hamilton Deane and John Balderston versions. It was a pretty interesting read, seeing how they both differed from the original novel and from each other, and the extent to which they influenced the Universal film. Deane's was a bit closer to the original Stoker, but Balderston's read a lot better and felt more polished. I did kind of do a double take at how Van Helsing and company throw Renfield at Dracula as bait, and get the poor guy killed in the process. Like seriously, what the f**k, guys? :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 07, 2018, 12:18:14 AM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's extremely good. Very clever

I couldn't get through this novel.  I like Gaiman well enough but this didn't catch my imagination at all.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reading Star Wars: The Paradise Snare, the first in the Han Solo Trilogy in preparation for the upcoming movie.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 25, 2018, 08:32:29 PM
Reading Star Wars: The Paradise Snare, the first in the Han Solo Trilogy in preparation for the upcoming movie.

Have you (or anyone) read Splinter of the Mind's eye? I bought a copy earlier in the year with a plan to check it out this summer.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 26, 2018, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 25, 2018, 08:32:29 PM

Have you (or anyone) read Splinter of the Mind's eye? I bought a copy earlier in the year with a plan to check it out this summer.
I have read the comic book version which was part of the Star Wars: Early Victories Omnibus. Don't remember much about it but I think they changed the story a bit from the book to fit the continuity of the later films.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

I picked up The Dawn Watch by Maya Jasanoff, which is really turning out to be a "silver mine"* of fodder for the site. The author is currently (where I'm bookmarked) giving a very readable background of Conrad's formative years. If she's half as good at discussing his writings, this will have been money well-spent.

Cheers!

*extra credit given if you 'get' this reference.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reading The Good Sleeper by Janet Krone Kennedy.

Stitch

Stitch

Alien: The Cold Forge by Alex White. About halfway through now and it's pretty good. Interesting links to prometheus.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Star Wars: Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover

I'm loving this so far. Aside from my man Mace kicking ass and being cool, it's an unflinching look at the ugliness of war. If Rogue One was the SW equivalent of The Dirty Dozen, this is Apocalypse Now.

Huggs

Huggs

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey.

Written from the journals of Dick Proenneke. This is the third time I will have read it in my life. Such a masterpiece. Anything to do with Proenneke always seems to level me out and remind me of the important stuff. I feel like I know where I'm going and what's truly valuable in life, everytime I read that mans words.

Maybe after I'm done, I'll finally be able to finish the "More Readings" book after all this time. There's supposed to be a third book coming out near the end of the year I believe.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Finally got around to reading Predator: Incursion, the first book in the Rage War trilogy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's a rather different feel to Alien and Predator but I really dig that series. The Predators are a little too underpowered in that one for my liking but they're badass in the next 2.

I'm currently reading the first Expanse book.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I like that the author "spinned-off" on the story in Aliens: Bug Hunt and Predator: If It Bleeds.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, it's nice to see related stories like that. Alex White said he'd love to do a short about how they got the eggs in Cold Forge if they did another anthology.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2018, 08:44:07 AM
Yeah, it's nice to see related stories like that. Alex White said he'd love to do a short about how they got the eggs in Cold Forge if they did another anthology.
He's certainly a brave soul...   ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed