What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,279 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

"A night to remember" sounds great, I have seen the movie. I think a good companion to that book would be "Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic". It's really short but hard to find for some reason.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 13, 2018, 01:23:40 AM
Currently trying to finish up House of Leaves, I've had this book for a while now and bought it because Silent Hill was inspired by this story. I was a lot younger when I first purchased the book and didn't get into it so much for one reason or another. But I've recently picked this book back up and can't put it down. It's such a creepy and fantastically written haunted house story. I'm about halfway through it and get chills at how eerie it gets. Also that poor little Pekinese.  :'(

Such a good decision. Best undertaken if you have a lot of freetime to get through some of the lengthier chapters in one sitting.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 14, 2018, 01:26:56 PM
"A night to remember" sounds great, I have seen the movie. I think a good companion to that book would be "Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic". It's really short but hard to find for some reason.

Never read Lifeboat 8. Definitely going to check it out. A night to remember is a fantastic book. Lord truly was the man. "Titanic: A survivors story" by Archibald Gracie with John Thayer's account is a good one as well. Both were passengers and Gracie began interviewing and investigating immediately after the disaster, until his death shortly thereafter. I believe Lord actually used some of Gracie's research when writing "a night to remember". Thayer was also one of the few people that swore he saw the ship break apart when it was sinking, if I remember correctly.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 14, 2018, 08:44:07 PM

Never read Lifeboat 8. Definitely going to check it out. A night to remember is a fantastic book. Lord truly was the man. "Titanic: A survivors story" by Archibald Gracie with John Thayer's account is a good one as well. Both were passengers and Gracie began interviewing and investigating immediately after the disaster, until his death shortly thereafter. I believe Lord actually used some of Gracie's research when writing "a night to remember". Thayer was also one of the few people that swore he saw the ship break apart when it was sinking, if I remember correctly.

I will check out the other Titanic books.  At the rate that "If it Bleeds" is going, there will be a story about the Predator on the Titanic.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Musui's Story
Aliens Omnibus: Vol. 1 - I'm on Nightmare Asylum now.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 15, 2018, 08:53:47 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Feb 14, 2018, 08:44:07 PM

I will check out the other Titanic books.  At the rate that "If it Bleeds" is going, there will be a story about the Predator on the Titanic.

I gotta admit, I'd read that story. I was in the process of re-watching the Alien films while I was reading a night to remember for the first time. Lo and behold, I had a dream about the Titanic being overrun and turned into a massive floating hive. The fatal damage to the vessel being the result of gunfire from the colonial marines. I would've thought wolf would be involved, but what're you gonna do? I was in the process of running towards the lifeboats, the sounds of gunfire and alien shrieks thundering through the depths of the ship, when reality came knocking and it was time to wake up for work.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Just finished reading the first draft of Alien: Resurrection (which is pretty much exactly like the movie except for the ending and same with the novel by AC Crispin)and the final draft of Alien 1979. I still haven't finished Earth Hive, it's a tough slog cause I feel like the writing could be better. I have to finish Alien and Philosophy soon and I am going to start on the second draft of Alien: Resurrection to see what the differences are.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 14, 2018, 08:30:24 AM
There's not a single story in that I disliked. It's a nice exploration of what you can do with the Predators.

Nice I was hoping to hear this from fans, looking more forward to reading some later.

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 14, 2018, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Feb 13, 2018, 01:23:40 AM
Currently trying to finish up House of Leaves, I've had this book for a while now and bought it because Silent Hill was inspired by this story. I was a lot younger when I first purchased the book and didn't get into it so much for one reason or another. But I've recently picked this book back up and can't put it down. It's such a creepy and fantastically written haunted house story. I'm about halfway through it and get chills at how eerie it gets. Also that poor little Pekinese.  :'(

Such a good decision. Best undertaken if you have a lot of freetime to get through some of the lengthier chapters in one sitting.

It's impressive how much detail and depth was put into writing this book. I feel like not enough people know about it. Love the messed up Johnny Truant character.

Jacku

Jacku

Just read 'The House of Shattered Wings'
It's a drama/political/murder mystery/fantasy set around fallen angels ruling over a worn-torn 1930's Paris (it's set decades later but it's not like they rebuilt so...)
Really good world building and interesting characters. I'm glad I picked it up.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Reading the Red draft of Alien 3... help. :laugh:

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 16, 2018, 09:22:39 PM

You have my sympathies

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: muthur9000 on Feb 17, 2018, 01:37:06 AM

You have my sympathies

At least it's relatively short. I remember the Oliver Stone Conan script that felt like it went on forever.

Still working on Phantom by Susan Kay. I thought the Persia chapter was excellent, and the one between it and the original story is pretty good, too. Erik's interactions with Charles Garnier have been gold so far.

Huggs

Huggs

Oh dear. Not the Alien Chickens. I had to re-write that script myself just to be able to stand it. As you can imagine, not alot stayed the same.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 15, 2018, 01:23:29 AM
Just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Are you reading for the first time?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed