What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,284 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 27, 2023, 09:42:58 PMFinally finished Carrion Comfort. It's not bad, but not my favorite Dan Simmons book. I went in expecting a horror story, and got a trashy thriller with Bond movie elements and a supernatural angle. I also reread Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, a very solid read.

Is that the book The 13th Warrior was adapted from?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Dec 15, 2023, 10:34:07 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 27, 2023, 09:42:58 PMFinally finished Carrion Comfort. It's not bad, but not my favorite Dan Simmons book. I went in expecting a horror story, and got a trashy thriller with Bond movie elements and a supernatural angle. I also reread Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, a very solid read.

Is that the book The 13th Warrior was adapted from?

Yes, Eaters of the Dead is.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 15, 2023, 06:57:49 PMA little over half way through Heat 2, some thoughts:

-Hanna's prequel story is really good.

-The McCauley and crew prequel story is mostly good, but McCauley's characterization ain't it, chief.

-The sequel story with Shiherlis in South America is terminally uninteresting. What in Tom Clancy's ghost is this tech thriller crap? Is this what Blackhat is like?  :laugh:

I felt the same.
McCauley's character doesn't even mention his time in jail or the main motto of "have no one in your life" that somebody mentions to him in the yard. Did that happen later in the timeline? Probably not.
Hanna's character is spot on though, you can feel Pacino reading the dialogue in your head.
Shiherlis story felt like something from another book the author wanted to write but shoved Shiherlis in there.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 16, 2023, 07:23:15 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 15, 2023, 06:57:49 PMA little over half way through Heat 2, some thoughts:

-Hanna's prequel story is really good.

-The McCauley and crew prequel story is mostly good, but McCauley's characterization ain't it, chief.

-The sequel story with Shiherlis in South America is terminally uninteresting. What in Tom Clancy's ghost is this tech thriller crap? Is this what Blackhat is like?  :laugh:

I felt the same.
McCauley's character doesn't even mention his time in jail or the main motto of "have no one in your life" that somebody mentions to him in the yard. Did that happen later in the timeline? Probably not.
Hanna's character is spot on though, you can feel Pacino reading the dialogue in your head.
Shiherlis story felt like something from another book the author wanted to write but shoved Shiherlis in there.

His time in jail is mentioned, and his motto comes up early on, attributed to what happens in 1988.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Oh god, still reading Heat 2 and Shiherlis just quoted Doors lyrics. Does Mann know that Kilmer played Jim Morrison, too?  :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Finished up rereading The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy for the first time in over 15 years. Overall it's quite good.

Now I'm listening to Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym and it's not grabbing me. So far it's been a lot of stock lost at sea stuff.

And in physical books I'm starting up on Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green. Dense, but very interesting so far, providing some context for Alexander's reign that I was unaware of before now.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Black Dahlia was excellent and a good prequel to the LA trilogy, I also read it about 12 years ago.
I'm currently reading Vasquez, it's pretty good after Rift War.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Still reading Neuromancer (I'm taking my time) but also started The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Brilliant, weird and dreamlike.

Now I know what I'm gonna spend £135 for ;D

https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/the-book-of-the-new-sun-2-volume.html?srsltid=AfmBOop2UkF24UaMFtlL0_ynVua1CvhZN9hbWOkxjqPONiSXnGT1gmmiWuU

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Started the year off with Raymond Chandler's first couple Philip Marlowe novels: The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely.

Will be resuming with these soon, but going to take a little break before starting the next one I think. Going to reread Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep next. Haven't read it in quite a few years, and I feel like it'd follow nicely after some hard-boiled detective fiction.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I finished listening to The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, and for me it ended just as it was getting interesting. Now I'm listening to Timeline by Michael Crichton, which is very entertaining so far.

On the physical front I'm still working on Alexander of Macedon, which is endlessly fascinating, and full of stuff I didn't know before.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Trying to finish Dune before the part 2 movie comes out. Currently about 55% of the way through according to my kindle.

Acid for Blood

Acid for Blood

I'm currently half way through William Gibson's Alien 3.

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

I'm halfway through Mickey7, soon to be a movie directed by Bong Joon-ho (and retitled Mickey 17).

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Wolf In Shadow - The John Shannow Trilogy. Book 1 - David Gemmell (Audio Book) My favourite fantasy novels as a child/teenager - A great way of passing the 1 hour forty five minute walk to and from work

Neverwhere - Neil Gaimen - My morning book (One of my all time favourites)

The Witcher - Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski - My lunchtime break book (Thoroughly enjoying it so far)

Salem's Lot - Stephen King - My before bed book. Salem's Lot is hands down my all time favourite novel. I read it at least three times a year

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Jan 19, 2024, 04:19:21 PMNeverwhere - Neil Gaimen - My morning book (One of my all time favourites)

The Witcher - Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski - My lunchtime break book (Thoroughly enjoying it so far)

Thumbs up!

I just finished Neuromancer by Gibson and utterly weird but fascinating The Shadow of the Torturer (first volume of The Book of the New Sun) by Gene Wolfe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed