Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 745,475 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Well, her image is becoming more human (far less digitized face and hair as a visible start), so I'm certain they'll use that as a thematic device-- which would be very cool.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 14, 2012, 03:52:50 AM
Halo/Prometheus mashup...pretty awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHJWDB0nOY#ws

That was great.

Oh assassinations in Halo 4? I'm sold. Well, even more sold.

Nightlord

Nightlord

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but we won't be fighting flood in Halo four

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postsm814552_The-Flood-s-return.aspx#post814552

Doesn't rule out Halo five or six though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm certainly going to miss them, that's for sure. They can be annoying as hell, but they're a big part of Halo. :(

Still, like you said, I doubt we've seen the last of them. There's no doubt in my mind that we will see them again before the trilogy ends. I, for one, am desperate to learn more about our old friend the Gravemind.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Six other Halo arrays still exist, each with their own Flood samples, so they definitely still exist. Not to mention they're extragalactic in origin.

I know many people hated playing against the flood, but I always liked it. Were fun missions

Elliott

Elliott

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 15, 2012, 09:56:57 PM
Six other Halo arrays still exist, each with their own Flood samples, so they definitely still exist. Not to mention they're extragalactic in origin.

I know many people hated playing against the flood, but I always liked it. Were fun missions

Cortana on Legendary... *shudders*

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'd love to revisit Installation 05 from Halo 2. We left it in such a mess last time, maybe we should go clean it up a bit :D

And I think in one of the novels humanity recently discovered Installation 03, so that could get interesting.

And yeah, Halo Wars showed that Flood can be found on other places than the rings themselves. HW took place on a Shield World, just like Halo 4 is. I guess Requiem was probably a bit more well maintained by the Forerunners than the Shield World in HW was :)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Six other Halo arrays still exist
D:

I'm not sure I can handle 42 more Halo rings, man.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 15, 2012, 09:52:33 PM
I'm certainly going to miss them, that's for sure. They can be annoying as hell, but they're a big part of Halo. :(

Still, like you said, I doubt we've seen the last of them. There's no doubt in my mind that we will see them again before the trilogy ends. I, for one, am desperate to learn more about our old friend the Gravemind.
Oh thank god, I hated the Flood! They always pissed me off, and I was glad to know their wasn't much of them in Reach or ODST.

QuoteCortana on Legendary... *shudders*
That's gonna bring back the nightmares I had...feel this 'Vietnam War' flashback coming in my head from dealing with Post Traumatic Flood Disorder.

QuoteI know many people hated playing against the flood, but I always liked it. Were fun missions
They were quite the challenge dealing with them and it was addicting at times.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Well, on the bright side (if I remember correctly) there are still years of war between the Covenant and the Seperatist (Elites) after the events of Halo 3. There's a chance we might get into that bloody mess, how big or small of a chance I have no idea.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 15, 2012, 11:54:06 PM
Six other Halo arrays still exist
D:

I'm not sure I can handle 42 more Halo rings, man.

Think of it as the Pacific War in WW2, one island at a time.  :)

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

See when I thing of a mix of organic and sort of synthetic music I think of this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHoHtH0YEA
Which could actually be pretty cool

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Don't have a source, but I heard that there might be some Halo 4 news on Conan tomorrow. Anyone else hear about this?

On another note, I've been thinking about having a Summer of Halo; picking up CE and 2, playing through all the games. I thought maybe I should check out the books, too. But I have to ask; are they good? Any that I should skip over? Would it be worth it to buy them, or just get 'em from the library? And is there a particular order they should be read in?

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 17, 2012, 05:36:43 AM
Don't have a source, but I heard that there might be some Halo 4 news on Conan tomorrow. Anyone else hear about this?

On another note, I've been thinking about having a summer of Halo; picking up CE and 2, playing through all the games. I thought maybe I should check out the books, too. But I have to ask; are they good? Any that I should skip over? Would it be worth it to buy them, or just get 'em from the library? And is there a particular order they should be read in?

It comes from Halo 4's facebook page. I read about the same thing there.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

That little thing at the mouth of chief's new armor bugs the SHIT out of me.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 17, 2012, 05:36:43 AM
On another note, I've been thinking about having a Summer of Halo; picking up CE and 2, playing through all the games. I thought maybe I should check out the books, too. But I have to ask; are they good? Any that I should skip over? Would it be worth it to buy them, or just get 'em from the library? And is there a particular order they should be read in?

I did the summer of Halo thing last summer. Played through all six games in chronological order, and it was awesome :)

As for the books, I read the first seven of them, and would recommend them all. I'll give you a brief run down, if you want to know what they're about. And I would say read them in the order that they were released (the order I posted them in) rather than chronological, because events tend to span over the course of years and overlap from book to book.

The Fall of Reach- This one is often considered to be the best. It deals with the start of the Spartan II program, ultimately concluding with the fall of Reach (as the title says). Unlike the game set on this planet, Master Chief is the star here.

The Flood- This one is probably the most skippable. Its a retelling of Combat Evolved, so most of it is already known. The most interesting parts were those that weren't about Chief, and dealt instead with other UNSC forces on the ring or the Covenant.

First Strike- This one here is a direct follow up to CE/The Flood (in the same way the CE/The Flood are followups to Fall of Reach). Bridges the gap between Halo CE and 2 and shows what happened to Chief in the meantime. Really good, from what I remember.

Ghosts of Onyx- This one here was my absolute favorite. Its the first one that doesn't deal with Master Chief, but instead another Spartan II named Kurt. Its about the start of the Spartan III program, and for the most part is set in the timeframe of Halo 2.

Contact Harvest- Some people don't like this one, but I loved it. Its about Sgt. Johnson and the start of the war on Harvest. Also has some very interesting stuff about Tartarus and the brutes, as well as an interesting subplot about a grunt and an engineer.

The Cole Protocol- Probably my least favorite of the bunch, but no terrible. Its just that its not very memorable. I'd still say to check it out, though, because it had some cool stuff with Gray Team (a team of SIIs), Captain Keys, and some jackals. I think it takes place around the time of Halo Wars, after Harvest has already fallen.

Evolutions- This one is a compilation of short stories by various authors. Most are worth great, a few are average, and there is only one that comes to mind that I didn't like at all. Amongst my favorites were "Human Weakness" and "The Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole". If possible, get this as two separate volumes rather than one large book. Supposedly if you go with the smaller format, each volume has an extra story.

After that comes Cryptum (the first Forerunner book), then Glasslands (the first post Halo 3 book as well as a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx), and then Primordium (the second Forerunner book). Coming soon is The Thursday War (second post Halo 3 book). I haven't read these, but I've heard good things.

But yeah, the order I posted is the order they should be read in to get the most out of it. They are cheap enough that buying them shouldn't be a problem, but getting them from a library wouldn't lessen the impact or anything. For being based on a video game, they are surprisingly well written.

EDIT: If you can get your hands on Dr. Halsey's journal, the book that came with the special editions of Halo Reach, that is also well worth the read. It clears up a few small continuity errors that exist between Fall of Reach and Halo Reach, and is a very entertaining read. I was able to get a copy off of ebay for cheap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed