Flop?

Started by KirklandSignature, May 30, 2012, 03:00:25 PM

Author
Flop? (Read 9,219 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Thought police? How so? I'm asking valid questions. I've been balanced from the very beginning in terms of having a cautious optimism. So I hope the film is good, so shoot me.

I am laying out the difference between people who have walked into the theater predisposed to not liking the film (of which there is nothing wrong with) and those who have no qualifications to enjoy it. That's it.

By the way....the latest batch of official reviews are GLOWING....and this one http://moviecitynews.com/2012/05/review-prometheus-spoiler-free/  seems to outline some flaws, and yet, say, there hasn't been a serious science fiction film like this in years.

NGR01

NGR01

Just kidding ;)

Another glowi,g review!!!!
Yay the movie must be awesome then.
Majority and critcs can't be wrong ;)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: NGR01 on May 30, 2012, 06:13:35 PM
Just kidding ;)

Well I trust the opinion of the majority and professional critics over yours. Since we found out more details of the story in the interviews you have been negative about the whole thing. You were never going to be pleased with this film no
matter how it ended

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 30, 2012, 06:28:50 PM
Just kidding ;)

Well I trust the opinion of the majority and professional critics over yours. Since we found out more details of the story in the interviews you have been negative about the whole thing. You were never going to be pleased with this film no
matter how it ended

Your lack of faith is disturbing.
I dunno concerning NGR01 but I went with a forum member of planet-alien.com and we were both really excited.
I was just reserved concerning some aspect of the thing like "what explanation are they going to give about the SJ" but since they gives none my biggest fear just vanished and what I was afraid of had not killed the movie for me.
So my pessimist view on some points simply proved I was wrong about my negative expectation on those points.
What I thought sucks actually is what I would have never expected especially knowing the people who were working on this film.

Cvalda

Cvalda

This will not flop. It won't be a runaway hit, but it'll be a decent success. On a $200 mil budget with advertising costs included, it's going to make it's budget back during its theatrical run for sure, especially overseas.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

I think that's where we differ I have no preconceived ideas when it comes to the story. The whole story arch is up to creators, I'm just waiting to see if what they have come up with works. I'm not disagreeing with your views cos everyone's has there own opinion, I'm just saying I'm not going to take them on board as much other members of the forum (who sound they are not going to enjoy the film no matter what)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 30, 2012, 07:05:46 PM
I think that's where we differ I have no preconceived ideas when it comes to the story. The whole story arch is up to creators, I'm just waiting to see if what they have come up with works. I'm not disagreeing with your views cos everyone's has there own opinion, I'm just saying I'm not going to take them on board as much other members of the forum (who sound they are not going to enjoy the film no matter what)

There's no problem with saying you're not going to enjoy the movie before it cames out.
I said so for AVP-R.
I was right because I didn't enjoy it and even left the theater before the ending  :D

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

That is the total opposite of how you should go in to a film because then your just wasting your money.
And you cannot compare AVPR with Prometheus. That was created to please the fan boys, whilst Prometheus is a movie event.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 30, 2012, 07:13:33 PM
That is the total opposite of how you should go in to a film because then your just wasting your money.
And you cannot compare AVPR with Prometheus. That was created to please the fan boys, whilst Prometheus is a movie event.

Who said I'm paying?
Press conference my dear, very useful when you have relations in the business  :D

AVP-R was never meant to please the fanboys.
Though to sell it that's what they had to make you believe.
And Prometheus obeyed the same law.
They worked out their marketing in a smart way to make you believe so.

I'm sure that if instead of "Directed by Ridley Scott" it was "Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson" everybody would have had another opinion on the movie (including me probably).

Slithar

Slithar

Errr

Honestly. It shouldn't be a flop. I've the seen the movie today, and hell, this is freaking AWESOME. It truly is the movie I've been waiting for years. This is great. I don't know how many superlatives I need to use to say it.
Some people might say the script isn't "coherent". Wrong. The story is hard to understand, I admit it, but there are no "lies".

Even if I weren't such an alien fan, I would really, really enjoy it. There are links to the alien universe, yeah. And MUCH more stuff.

I was so afraid it would be a bad movie... and now I want to watch it over and over.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Le Celticant on May 30, 2012, 07:19:34 PM

Who said I'm paying?
Press conference my dear, very useful when you have relations in the business  :D

I'm sure that if instead of "Directed by Ridley Scott" it was "Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson" everybody would have had another opinion on the movie (including me probably).

the UK reviews are leaning towards the positive. Did the French have a different expectation from this movie? Saying its going to be a flop here was a bit redundant on my part, the new positive reviews have alleviated the worrys I had. I will dismiss Le Celticants and NGRS reviews as the occasional negative review among a sea of positive reviews.

Who said I'm paying?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 30, 2012, 05:56:07 PM
It's a dumb story because it brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Nothing.

By that logic, the original 'Alien' also features a "dumb story".

Dumb means lacking in intelligence and thought. Not whether something is new.

:D

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Although the French did create most film theory and analysis (mise-en-scene) they don't pay particular attention to sci-fi, they're a little behind the times

NGR01

NGR01

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 30, 2012, 06:28:50 PM
Just kidding ;)

matter how it ended

When you will realize that its not about trust (wtf does it have to do there we don't even know each other) and all about taste. As for knowing what I wanted of this movie i will just say that you are just again passing judgement on someone you don't know. We never discussed you and me, you just are repeating what you have read from thisisbethsetda.

You're just as dumb as the majority of moviegoers if you trust the majority and professional critics.
I never trust critics or the majority even when they go my way.
You just showed us that you have no personality.

And i'm not even talking about what i tought about the movie, this is not important.
Like i said many times but you people chosed to ignore, it's that my word is no gospel or universal truth.
BUT JUST MY VIEW. You can ignore it, but you can't ignore the scenes i described.
Just judge those scene and not my poor taste.
Be honest with you and try to make your brain work a little bit instead on relying onthe majority and proffessional critics LOL

Once again as long as the critics go you way they are trustfull LOL
Poor SOB you don't know what you're in for ^^

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: NGR01 on May 30, 2012, 04:26:20 PM
Quote from: PROM3TH3US on May 30, 2012, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: NGR01 on May 30, 2012, 04:13:15 PM
Not a flop.
But no hit neither.
Doubt the broad audience is gonna love it that much.
The unanswered question can pissed them off.

I disagreed.  Unanswered questions makes fun/thoughful discussion either good or bad.  The Matrix.  2001:ASO, Inception, Mulholland Drive, Alien and many more.

I'm talking about the regular audience wich represent 80% of the sales.
Those people who go see a movie because it's the latest tom cruise or brad pitt and don't give a damn about the actual movie they are seeing because it's just a way to pass time.
Those don't dwell into inanswered questions they want some simple popcorn flick.
The people who saw Drive expecting Fast and furious.

Those who discuss MATRIX or David Lynch are not the one the studio aim for we are already going to see those movie.
The real money is in Joe Shmoe.

Over here, Joe Shmoe paid a lot to see the matrix.  Movies don't make coin like that and only appeal to the "egghead" crowd.

Defending the French[not directed at NGR001]:  Film wise, maybe not as much but a few have been great.  Everyone is forgetting that Ridley Scott was very influenced by Metal Hurlant and Moebius.  Both are very french, both very scifi.  The French have always had a wonderful love of scifi in comic form, and it has leaked into a lot of films [heavy metal, fifth element, Alien [there are a few interviews i can think of which scott mentions both moebius and metal hurlant]etc etc].

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed