Gladiator II

Started by Ingwar, Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Author
Gladiator II (Read 45,085 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 03:51:40 PM"Take no prisoners, apologize for nothing, be assertive" - Emperor Ridley Scott.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 04:01:16 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 03:51:40 PM"Take no prisoners, apologize for nothing, be assertive" - Emperor Ridley Scott.

Also, insert .jpeg of Ridley Scott on Blade Runner set with one hand in his coat, Napoleon style.  ;D

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1652018138425462784

This is, "is Ben Afflect Count Pierre or King Charles?" all over again...  ::)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Caracalla & Geta: Bearfight in the Colosseum, Lawrence Alma-Tadema, 1907

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 04:58:31 PMCaracalla & Geta: Bearfight in the Colosseum, Lawrence Alma-Tadema, 1907

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Caracalla_et_Geta.jpg/1280px-Caracalla_et_Geta.jpg

Nice find! I bet that image is up on the art department's pinboard already.

Pollice Verso by Jean Leon Gerome is of course not only the painting upon which the original film's look is based but was also used by the producers to hook Ridley into directing it:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (born Lucius Septimius Bassianus, 4 April 188 – 8 April 217), better known by his nickname Caracalla was Roman emperor from 198 to 217 AD. He was a member of the Severan dynasty, the elder son of Emperor Septimius Severus and Empress Julia Domna.

Publius Septimius Geta was the younger son of Septimius Severus by his second wife Julia Domna. He was born on 7 March in either Rome or Mediolanum, at a time when his father was only a provincial governor at the service of Emperor Commodus.

On 4 February 211, Septimius Severus died at Eboracum (present day York, England) while on campaign in Caledonia, to the north of Roman Britain. This left his two sons and co-augusti, Caracalla and his brother, Geta, as joint inheritors of their father's throne and empire. Their mother, Julia Domna, who had served as a crucial advisor and confidante to her husband, was able to maintain her political influence over two co-emperors. It is said that on the journey from Britain to Rome the two brothers kept well away from each other, not once lodging in the same house or sharing a common meal.

Their joint rule was a failure. The Imperial Palace was divided into two separate sections, and neither allowed the servants of the other into his own. They only met in the presence of their mother, and with a strong military guard, being in constant fear of assassination. The current stability of their joint government was only through the mediation and leadership of their mother, Julia Domna, accompanied by other senior courtiers and generals in the military. The historian Herodian asserted that the brothers decided to split the empire in two halves, but with the strong opposition of their mother, the idea was rejected, when, by the end of 211, the situation had become unbearable. Caracalla tried unsuccessfully to murder Geta during the festival of Saturnalia (17 December).

On 26 December 211, at a reconciliation meeting arranged by their mother, Geta was assassinated by members of the Praetorian Guard loyal to Caracalla. Geta died in his mother's arms. It is widely accepted, and clearly most likely, that Caracalla ordered the assassination himself, as the two had never been on favourable terms with one another, much less after succeeding their father.

Caracalla then persecuted and executed most of Geta's supporters and ordered a damnatio memoriae pronounced by the Senate against his brother's memory. Geta's image was removed from all paintings, coins were melted down, statues were destroyed, his name was struck from papyrus records, and it became a capital offence to speak or write Geta's name. In the aftermath of the damnatio memoriae, an estimated 20,000 people were massacred. Those killed were Geta's inner circle of guards and advisers, friends, and other military staff under his employ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(emperor)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracalla

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Just read up on that on Wikipedia myself, that joint Emperorship didn't work out too well, did it?  ;D

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yeah, it's bloody interesting story. Gonna read more about it. I'm digging it.

I wonder who's gonna portray their father, Emperor Septimius Severus and mother, Empress Julia Domna.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

How it started:

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PMIf this [news about Gladiator 2] is true (it cannot be) then I'm not gonna watch any Scott movie till end of my life.

How it is going:

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 05:21:01 PMYeah, it's bloody interesting story. Gonna read more about it. I'm digging it.

;D

Ingwar

Ingwar

What can I say ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

So I'm guessing someone will try to recruit Lucius to clean up the mess these two create.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 02:05:07 PMTraditionally, the director tells his production designer he wants a certain setting and then the production designer figures out how it will look and gives his art department (concept artists, draftsmen, set designers, construction workers, carpenters, painters etc.) the orders to make it so.

With Ridley the production designer's role is almost defunct because the production designer is merely carrying out Scott's very specific orders, turning his detailed sketches and reference photos into actual props and sets. He is no longer actually designing anything anymore, merely following Scott's orders.
It's always a collaborative process. A director who just says "make me a medieval village" with no further input sounds like a bad director. They should be bringing specific notes and references and visuals.

Every interview I've seen with his production designers says he's specific but very collaborative. Production designers do more than just designs; it's a fairly involved role that goes from preproduction through to the end of production, overseeing the sets and costumes and their relative departments on shooting days.

I'd love to see whatever quotes you've got of people avoiding him because I genuinely can't find any! By the sounds of it landing a production designer gig on a Scott project sounds like a career highlight.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Does that mean Vermillion can get full credit whenever we see half helmets in his movies?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2023, 11:03:35 PMI'd love to see whatever quotes you've got of people avoiding him because I genuinely can't find any! By the sounds of it landing a production designer gig on a Scott project sounds like a career highlight.

Quote from: Future NoirBlade Runner offered Scott an even larger canvas to draw upon- yet Michael Deeley knew his director was up to the challenge. "In a sense, no major art director would ever work with Ridley, because Ridley wouldn't let him do what he wanted," Deeley points out. "But he would be right in doing that. - Future Noir by Paul M. Sammon
Quote from: Future Noir"According to Michael Deeley, however, "It was really Ridley who was the overall Production Designer/Art Director on Blade Runner. It wouldn't be fair to say otherwise." - Page 81, Future Noir by Paul M. Sammon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 29, 2023, 11:05:52 PMDoes that mean Vermillion can get full credit whenever we see half helmets in his movies?

Yep, he was even bragging at the Venice press junket about how the brilliant helmet design was all his idea. And I have the Ridleygrams to prove it. I have it all on file.  ;D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 30, 2023, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: Future NoirBlade Runner offered Scott an even larger canvas to draw upon- yet Michael Deeley knew his director was up to the challenge. "In a sense, no major art director would ever work with Ridley, because Ridley wouldn't let him do what he wanted," Deeley points out. "But he would be right in doing that. - Future Noir by Paul M. Sammon
Quote from: Future Noir"According to Michael Deeley, however, "It was really Ridley who was the overall Production Designer/Art Director on Blade Runner. It wouldn't be fair to say otherwise." - Page 81, Future Noir by Paul M. Sammon
Thank you! But neither of those quotes are production designers saying they wouldn't want to work with Ridley Scott. It's one person's take - but the other production designers I've read from have loved the collaboration. I wouldn't have considered any them middle or bottom tier either.

(Also, is this in context to Blade Runner specifically, where Scott had only two features and experienced Production Designers might have been put off by a less experienced director having so much input? I haven't read the book.)

Has any major production designer gone on record balking at the prospect of working with him that you know of?

Scott's hardly the only director specific about what he wants with his own designs - Cameron used to do half his own concept art, but I never read of it being a problem for production designers.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Apr 30, 2023, 10:33:54 AMThank you! But neither of those quotes are production designers saying they wouldn't want to work with Ridley Scott. It's one person's take - but the other production designers I've read from have loved the collaboration. I wouldn't have considered any them middle or bottom tier either.

Has any major production designer gone on record balking at the prospect of working with him that you know of?

Well, it's not really the kind of thing a production designer would publicly say. One needs to keep a certain amount of decorum within the industry. I'm happy to go along with Deeley's take on it though.

I'm sure there are plenty of mid-level guys who wouldn't mind working for him just for the experience alone, even knowing they might not have much creative freedom. But the top guys out for Oscar's might give it a second thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed