Jack Palgen to Write the Script

Started by Aspie, Jun 17, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

Author
Jack Palgen to Write the Script (Read 54,134 times)

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 18, 2013, 10:01:21 PM
I would agree that Noomi's character is neither likable or memorable. She weighed the film down with her presence. Vickers had more gravitas and dimension then Shaw. I think I'm still in disbelief at how bad portions of this movie are. I just want to slap Scott upside the head. His mistakes are so P.T. Anderson, so beneath his experiences.

Folks, I have never been capable of sitting through Prometheus twice.

It has the terribly unsubtle quick cut opening scene with the pseudo alien font title card.
Followed by the pointless archaeology scene which leads to double exposition.
Followed by the UGLIEST visuals EVER in a Ridley Scott film - the wretched dream sequence.
Followed by douche bag guy giving his lecture with the shitty looking hollograms.

OH and you mean his mistakes are so Paul WS Anderson. P.T Anderson would make a great sci fi movie I bet.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 18, 2013, 09:56:39 PM
Ridley Scott is the only person on Earth who is allowed to screw up the series; he pioneered the A L I E N beginning after all!

No-one should be 'allowed' to screw it up. What you've just stated is precisely the problem with the public's perception... He, on his own, was not the one who pioneered it. It was the sum total of a lot of different visionaries. Sometimes, he hired people and didn't even bother to look over their contributions much, if at all. Chris Foss would be very much a case in point.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

But it was Scott's boner for a terrible idea that set this square wheel in motion.

Welcome back Bethesda! :)

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 18, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
The acting from half the cast is dreadful -- Rafe Spall can't even make up his mind whether to use a stupid southern accent in some scenes or speak normally in others.
It's been explained.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=44475.msg1418601#msg1418601

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If Prometheus 2 doesn't have some Alien like thing eating people's faces it will be as terrible as the first one.

SM

SM

QuoteSometimes, he hired people and didn't even bother to look over their contributions much, if at all. Chris Foss would be very much a case in point.

Not everyone gets their stuff on screen.  Esepcially when Cobb's stuff was superior.

And sometimes when you do get your stuff on screen, no one knows who you are and cream their pants over the other guy.  Hello, Roger Dicken.

xeno-kaname

Even the Prometheus facebook page has anounced the news about the writer. I know it doesn't mean much, but it's something.

echobbase79

Another thing that a Prometheus sequel needs is to be scary. Prometheus failed horribly in this department for me.

Powerloader

Prometheus 2 script will eventually end up where it belongs - in the dumpster. 

I can't wait for Fox to announce the news they are rebooting ALIEN.  :laugh: 

Salt The Fries

I hope they'll intertwine several subplots as well as go back in the past, show Weyland's motivations, his relationship with David and maybe reveal something about the company.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 18, 2013, 10:01:21 PM
I would agree that Noomi's character is neither likable or memorable. She weighed the film down with her presence. Vickers had more gravitas and dimension then Shaw. I think I'm still in disbelief at how bad portions of this movie are. I just want to slap Scott upside the head. His mistakes are so P.T. Anderson, so beneath his experiences.
not P.T. Anderson, it's  Paul WS Anderson. Paul Thomas Anderson would never make a sci-fi movie.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jun 19, 2013, 12:59:41 AM
Not everyone gets their stuff on screen.  Esepcially when Cobb's stuff was superior.

And sometimes when you do get your stuff on screen, no one knows who you are and cream their pants over the other guy.  Hello, Roger Dicken.

Quote from: 'Hardware - The Definitive SF Works Of Chris Foss'
In the Autumn of 1976 Chris was invited to work on 'Alien' (1979) as the movie's visual design consultant, Dan O'Bannon - who also co-wrote the story and wrote the screenplay - wanted to use the same team from 'Dune'. The studio was in downtown Los Angeles, on the Fox lot. Chris stayed with friends in a "fantastic" house on Mulholland Drive and the studio gave him a choice of exotic cars to drive. "I'd wake up to brilliant Californian sunshine and drive down to the studio. I was working with a lovely chap called Ron Cobb and we got on really well," he recalls. Because they were non-union the production had to keep them hidden, so they worked in everything from a washroom to an un-air conditioned shed over the carpenter's studio. However, Chris and Ron were having so much fun it didn't seem to matter. Their only contact with the production team was through O'Bannon, who was very supportive.

After several months of intensive work the director finally came to view their artwork. After looking around the room at the sea of concept drawings, Chris remembers he simply commented, "'Yeah, room full of spaceships' and walked out again." The only direction Chris and Cobb had was from O'Bannon, who had a very clear idea of what he wanted, "but he was getting countermanded as the 'Alien' production got bigger and bigger. Every day his car was getting more and more dents in it and we took that as a metaphor for the battering he was getting from the production.

From that, it seems...

1: RS wasn't just disengaged on a personal level, but on the very rare moment he went to see the concept artists (of the stuff which was going to be taking up a lot more screen time than the creature), he was disrespectful of their craft, too. Especially in light of their poor working conditions.

2: RS gave no creative feedback, whatsoever. Whatever the reasons for that, it's bad form for a working relationship.

3: O'Bannon was the one making an effort to try and co-ordinate the creative side of things. If not for what he was doing, the production might have turned out very different.

4: Cobb received the same treatment as Foss. It wasn't about whose work was ultimately chosen.

Doesn't mean RS is a 'bad person', but it does demonstrate how strangely disengaged he was with some very important aspects of the project. This is what I meant when I wrote that he shouldn't be considered the be all and end all of 'Alien'. A tremendously important factor, yes. But just one factor of several, nonetheless.

SM

SM

Riddles wasn't interested in science fiction, and Danny O'B was credited as 'Visual Design Consultant'.  The above sounds about right.

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jun 18, 2013, 11:22:25 AM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 18, 2013, 09:42:51 AM
are u aware guys that most of the sequels are much worse than the first movie? :P

Terminator 2 agreed
Aliens - DIFFERENT GENRE
American Pie 2 really? all of them is the same
Die Hard, Die Hard with a vengeance, rather watch the 3rd :P
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey agreed
Ghostbusters 2 no
TDK, TDKR agreed but forget that B 3rd movie
Superman 2 really? all of them is the same
Spiderman 2 really? all of them is the same
Beverley Hills Cop 2 really? all of them is the same

to name a couple of great ones

matter of taste diude mainly, but most of the sequels are just ripp offs to make money and most of the time with a completely differents cast, director and staff totally not understanding the whole concept for example Cube

Just hope some randome guy will dare to make better script for Promi than Sphait and Linde

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Yeah should have specified it was just my list of what I perceive to be great sequels, hopefully they can redeem themselves somewhere with the second script.  The script needs someone ballsy who will stick to their own ideas and not give in to FOX's demands, I'd personally love to see a fully controlled Fincher script! 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed