Johnny Handsome

dale07

dale07

sweet but i dont have a ps3 or anything :(

Krisjohn

Krisjohn

Quote from: dale07 on Sep 24, 2007, 06:23:28 PM

Neither do I, but I'm picking up the Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles I'm interested in that are out now, assuming they'll be pretty hard to get by the time I do finally get a player for them.  (I expect to be buying a secondhand PS3 and Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD add-on from a local secondhand games dealer when the next gen of consoles come out and they're cheap as chips.)

And if the format bombs, I've got a collector's item.

fluxcap

fluxcap

The thing with older films, how much better can the quality get? Unless they do frame by frame restoration which they won't cause it costs a crapload, I almost don't see the point in re-buying the film (if you already have it on dvd). The films I buy on blu-ray are only more recent films cause they can output the best possible picture quality.

Krisjohn

Krisjohn

I'm pretty sure film is better than normal old DVDs.  A really good transfer should result in a nice high-def offering.

It's only old TV shows that aren't worth releasing on high-def.

DaddyD302

DaddyD302

Quote from: Krisjohn on Sep 27, 2007, 02:15:01 AM
I'm pretty sure film is better than normal old DVDs.  A really good transfer should result in a nice high-def offering.

It's only old TV shows that aren't worth releasing on high-def.

According to Sony, the Blu-ray version is only as good as the original transfer.  I heard, and I'm not 100% sure but, I think it was The 5th Element, that people were complaining that it was not HD. So I'm not sure a movie this old can be transfer to HD. I'm sure it'll look better but don't expect something 300 quality.  Because 300 just came out it'll look better.

Krisjohn

Krisjohn

Quote from: DaddyD302 on Oct 06, 2007, 10:16:56 AM... The 5th Element ... a movie this old.

If you're saying Fifth Element is old, is this where I tell you to get off my damn lawn?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

The release date for this was just announced on Blu-ray.com, it comes out January 18th.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: fluxcap on Sep 27, 2007, 02:09:44 AM
The thing with older films, how much better can the quality get? Unless they do frame by frame restoration which they won't cause it costs a crapload, I almost don't see the point in re-buying the film (if you already have it on dvd). The films I buy on blu-ray are only more recent films cause they can output the best possible picture quality.

I just got Close Encounters of the Third kind on Blu-Ray and it looks truly amazing. Better than it ever has before. I hope they give the same treatment to the Pred / Aliens films that was given to this film.

kcirtap33

kcirtap33

Quote from: Krisjohn on Sep 27, 2007, 01:46:45 AM
Quote from: dale07 on Sep 24, 2007, 06:23:28 PM

Neither do I, but I'm picking up the Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles I'm interested in that are out now, assuming they'll be pretty hard to get by the time I do finally get a player for them.  (I expect to be buying a secondhand PS3 and Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD add-on from a local secondhand games dealer when the next gen of consoles come out and they're cheap as chips.)

And if the format bombs, I've got a collector's item.

you wont get any alien or predator movies for the xbox 360 hd-dvd add on coz fox only supports blu-ray.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Is the movie still comeing out on Blu Ray? The last time i hear info about it was back in early May.

Samus007

Samus007

I heard somewhere that Fox said that Alien, Aliens, AVP-R, and Predator 1 are all slated for release on Blu-Ray sometime next year. There are no plans to release Alien3, Alien 4 or Predator 2 in HD at this time.

Personally, I want a HD quadrilogy set. I know the extra content wont be in HD, but all the films can be, and I would sure buy it again.

I think i have bought the movie Aliens at least 8 times. I have 3 different VHS releases, 3 DVD versions, 2 Laser Disc releases, one opened and one still in the wrapper. LOL

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed