Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,354,668 times)

blood.

Requiem28

Requiem28

BANE

BANE

Just started reading the JP novel.

Couldn't put it down.

Up until 3AM.

Motherf**k I love it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Aye, it's great. Read it twice before and wouldn't mind giving it another go.

inb4CvaldaHatesIt, of course. :-*

Shasvre

Shasvre

The novel is great. Muldoon and Gennaro are f**king badass. 8)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: BANE on May 03, 2014, 01:13:49 PM
Just started reading the JP novel.

Couldn't put it down.

Up until 3AM.

Motherf**k I love it.

They paint the Raptors in that book as inescapable killers. Not hesitating in cool poses and rearing back for 11 seconds to roar before springing into action. And that body count!

BANE, that is probably my most read book.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I f**king love the novel.

BANE

BANE

I never realized the book differed so much from the movie.

Missed opportunities abound.

I wish they'd allowed for an R rating.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Which is why when they were saying "Reboot" for the next film I was cautiously optimistic for a more faithful adaptation that combated the Spielbergian awe and wonder with gritty realism and a hard PG-13.   

Hell I'm still optimistic.

BANE

BANE

I mean, I actually feel bad for Nedry in the book...

And poor Mr. Regis.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Not to mention that Malcolm dies. And Hammond. And Wu. :D

Cvalda

Cvalda

The film is a lot better than the book :P

Aspie

Aspie

I like both pretty equally. ASSUMING, of course, we're talking about the originals.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Laufey on May 03, 2014, 03:09:00 PM
Not to mention that Malcolm dies.
He doesn't.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Crichton had a nack for researching cutting-edge scientific culture, technology and theory and conveying it in a way that's relatable to the lay reader, to an extent that I've never encountered in any other author or screenwriter. Of course being cutting-edge and theoretical, much of the thinking that went into Jurassic Park has since been rendered obsolete or impossible, but its lasting legacy is that it popularised the dinosaur revolution - the movement that proved them to be active, warm-blooded and sophisticated creatures rather than sluggish evolutionary dead-ends destined for extinction. As such, it's not exaggerating to call it a milestone in our history.

And aside from all the fantastic explanations of theory, which I could latch onto even as a 10-year-old but continue to find riveting and thought-provoking, JP's a hugely suspenseful and evocative thriller, with some brilliant action sequences and deeper themes revolving around the fundamental flaws in scientific culture.
Sure - the characters are mainly just ciphers for the worldview of their profession, and the language is simplistic, but this is missing the point entirely. It's a great book, and I can't stress enough how important it was.

Funny thing though, through both JP and The Lost World, and the handful of interviews I've seen, I never got the impression that Crichton loved dinosaurs. Seemed like he was trying to understand why other people did, and maybe challenge that outlook.

Quote from: BANE on May 03, 2014, 02:56:16 PM
I never realized the book differed so much from the movie.

Missed opportunities abound.

I wish they'd allowed for an R rating.

They're very different beasts really, personally I enjoy them both in different ways. I imagine that if Fox and James Cameron had won the film rights, we'd have seen something much closer to the novel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed