The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really

Started by Peakius Baragonius, Mar 01, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Will fans ever make peace?

No, whoever wins, we lose
21 (46.7%)
Yes! I was totally wrong about Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Predator 2/AVP/Predators being a bad film!
4 (8.9%)
Perhaps someday
7 (15.6%)
Forget this poll, enough with the god-forsaken canon rant threads already!!! :-)
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really (Read 35,609 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

RagingDragon

That's because you take things literally.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 11, 2012, 07:08:40 PM
I was pointing out the generalization.  That phrase seems randomly taken out of context, and to me simply means that an Alien EU exists.

As far as being a declarative statement about canon, no.  It says nothing about how coherent it is, if there are contradictions, what these contradictions mean to story continuity, etc...

Don't try and make it mean something it doesn't.  It's just a line on a DVD special feature, probably said in passing.

Actually the word Saga is a pretty powerful word to use when talking about a group of stories.  Saying they are in the "SAGA" or that the "SAGA lives on through such and such" is more official than going out stating which individual stories are canon and non-canon.  George Lucas recently allowed one of his  cronies to make a statement that "Everything in the end is in the SAGA."  He was talking about games, books, novels, toys, movies.   You will not find anything that is NOT canon that is also in a SAGA.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 11, 2012, 08:39:39 PM
I was pointing out the generalization.  That phrase seems randomly taken out of context, and to me simply means that an Alien EU exists.

As far as being a declarative statement about canon, no.  It says nothing about how coherent it is, if there are contradictions, what these contradictions mean to story continuity, etc...

Don't try and make it mean something it doesn't.  It's just a line on a DVD special feature, probably said in passing.

Actually the word Saga is a pretty powerful word to use when talking about a group of stories.  Saying they are in the "SAGA" or that the "SAGA lives on through such and such" is more official than going out stating which individual stories are canon and non-canon.  George Lucas recently allowed one of his  cronies to make a statement that "Everything in the end is in the SAGA."  He was talking about games, books, novels, toys, movies.   You will not find anything that is NOT canon that is also in a SAGA.

Except, you know, the stuff that's not canon. Star Wars Infinities man. Star. Wars. Infinities.

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Mar 11, 2012, 08:41:49 PM

Except, you know, the stuff that's not canon. Star Wars Infinities man. Star. Wars. Infinities.

It's canon alternate reality, starwars has a multiverse, but hey you prob didn't know this or even like Star Wars seeing how it is you were backing up one of your friends that made a statement like this.

Quotef**k. The Thing could even copy a Jedi and use the f**king force.

Yup you guys sure were unbiased.

chupacabras acheronsis

was hybrid newborn the one who said that?

because this "you guys" or "your team" shit is getting on my nerves. i don't agree with that by the way.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 11, 2012, 08:48:19 PM
Quote from: HybridNewborn on Mar 11, 2012, 08:41:49 PM

It's canon alternate reality, starwars has a multiverse

1. Please stop with the snide personal remarks.

2. Star wars does not have a multiverse. Infinities is the official term for non-canon stories and material.

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Mar 11, 2012, 09:00:17 PM

Stop talking to me then, I would prefer silence over you and your friends talking to me.

2. Star wars does not have a multiverse. Infinities is the official term for non-canon stories and material.

Really

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru%27s_universe

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Otherspace

RagingDragon

Yeah he, uh, we don't really know each other.  Lol, keep pushing the friend idea.

I understand the definition of saga. 

You can tell by the surrounding context what the term saga is meant to imply.  Of course they're all in the same saga, they had to get a license to use said saga.  The most likely answer is that they were talking about the EU itself, not making any declarative statements.

You could be right, but you'll need some more evidence to back it up.  If they were trying to say something about canon (which they probably weren't) there should be some other quotes you could pick up from the conversation to support it. 

Dear lord is that the line that everybody uses to say that Fox has declared every last little thing canon?

HybridNewborn

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 11, 2012, 09:09:42 PM

Stop talking to me then, I would prefer silence over you and your friends talking to me.

Perhaps you shouldn't reply to me if you don't want to interact with me?

Really

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru%27s_universe

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Otherspace

I stand corrected. There is a star wars multiverse. Last i checked however, the infinities stories were stilled deamed non-canon while still being part of the overall star wars saga.

Xenomrph

Yeah the Infinities stuff is non-canon. Waru (and Otherspace) are part of another universe/dimension, but Infinities stuff is literally non-canon. Lucasfilm and the Star Wars wiki are very clear on this point.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Everybody chill the f**k out. KingAngel & HybridNewborn, I suggest you check your PM's.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 12, 2012, 12:01:07 AM
Yeah the Infinities stuff is non-canon. Waru (and Otherspace) are part of another universe/dimension, but Infinities stuff is literally non-canon. Lucasfilm and the Star Wars wiki are very clear on this point.

Quote"We've stuck to a very clear branding strategy for the past decade. This is Star Wars. Individual movies come and go, as do TV shows, video games, books. They all contribute to the lore of Star Wars, but in the end it is one saga and that saga is called Star Wars. We've wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga."
    ―Jim Ward

Those stories happen in a different universe, perhaps if you red up on string theory and super-string theory you would understand that it is impossible for the infinities NOT to have happened in a parallel universe.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 11, 2012, 09:13:11 PM
You could be right, but you'll need some more evidence to back it up.  If they were trying to say something about canon (which they probably weren't) there should be some other quotes you could pick up from the conversation to support it. 

Dear lord is that the line that everybody uses to say that Fox has declared every last little thing canon?
There are a bunch of other quotes, I'm really not sure why he focuses on that one so much. Hell, I never gave that one any credence at all, for the same reason you pointed out.

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Mar 12, 2012, 12:19:53 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 12, 2012, 12:01:07 AM

Quote"We've stuck to a very clear branding strategy for the past decade. This is Star Wars. Individual movies come and go, as do TV shows, video games, books. They all contribute to the lore of Star Wars, but in the end it is one saga and that saga is called Star Wars. We've wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga."
    ―Jim Ward

Those stories happen in a different universe, perhaps if you red up on string theory and super-string theory you would understand that it is impossible for the infinities NOT to have happened in a parallel universe.
This really doesn't change the fact that LucasFilm has said that Infinities stuff is non-canon. Like you just cited the Star Wars wiki to point out that Star Wars has multiple "universes", but when someone uses the same wiki to point out that Infinities stuff is still non-canon, it's not good enough? What the f**k? ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed