ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 400,005 times)

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 04:47:31 AM
The licensed material is spawn out of the films, so the films take precedence.  Just like Alien3 and Resurrection ignoring the licensed material to that came before.

Doesn't this just support the claim that the films are the true canon while the EU isnt?

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 04:47:31 AM
Do you know any film franchise that dictates to a new film entry that it must conform to some comic or novel, that the audience of said new film may not be familiar with?

Star Wars does after its purchase by Disney.  There is a committee called the "Lucas film Story Group" that keeps track of everything and makes sure that the future films, comics, etc fit within existing canon.

I feel that we are getting off topic here so we may want to continue this discussion elsewhere...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on May 01, 2016, 04:53:15 AM
Transformers live action series, and there are even a few video game series that do that.

In the case of Transformers, well... that's explained as having a multiverse. Even the live action series has it's own continuity cluster and is designated by name, and there are sub-branches within their branch.

As far as video games... the only known video game series which I know has an EU is Street Fighter that I actively read, and those generally aren't considered canon within the series. As for others... I don't know. I don't read other series like Halo or Mass Effect.

SM

QuoteThe GI Joe live action series, Transformers live action series, and there are even a few video game series that do that.

None of those began as films though.  If they made a Half Life film, I would expect the source material, the games, to be canonical, and the spin off films to have their own continuity.

QuoteDoesn't this just support the claim that the films are the true canon while the EU isnt?

If you like.

We'd be able to have a more open conversation if NDAs weren't involved.  ;)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 05:21:34 AM

Are you involved in more projects now, cause... that kinda threw me off there.

marrerom

If you like.

Well yeah, I do like.  :P

And your comment on NDA's leads me to believe that there are some big plans in motion regarding the continuity of the franchise...

predxeno

QuoteThe GI Joe live action series, Transformers live action series, and there are even a few video game series that do that.

None of those began as films though.  If they made a Half Life film, I would expect the source material, the games, to be canonical, and the spin off films to have their own continuity.

No, I mean the movies actually follow the comics that were written in the film's universe and NOT the original multiverse.  In GI Joe, they brought back Storm Shadow despite his death in the first movie in the comic book continuation of the story and then the 2nd movie had to conform to it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: marrerom on May 01, 2016, 05:38:23 AM
And your comment on NDA's leads me to believe that there are some big plans in motion regarding the continuity of the franchise...

Personally, I think there has been enough big changes to the continuity of the franchise. The only thing I can hope for, and I have some hope for it, is that Alien 5 is set in an AU and it change the way we look at canon.

SM

If there were big plans and I was aware of these big plans - of course I wouldn't be able to talk about them.  :)

(No, I'm not aware of any big plans.)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Just got done reading through the WY Report.

Overall I'm... kinda disappointed.

Like it's got some neat tidbits here and there, but they're few and far between, with too much emphasis on (very) pretty pictures and not enough emphasis on actual meaningful content that expands or enhances on the movies.

There's a ton (a TON) of missed opportunities in this book, from the way info is presented, to what is/isn't said, to opportunities for speculation or theorizing. It's kind of a shame because the book starts out REALLY strong, and even the Prometheus chapter is cool and has a lot of neat ideas, but then it starts to nosedive in the 'Alien' chapter, goes right into the ground in the 'Aliens' chapter, and really never recovers. Even the "practical applications of Xenomorph science" bit, which is literally a blank slate for cool and interesting ideas, starts out strong and then ends up being a wet fart.

Did we really need an entire page devoted to a verbatim transcript of Apone talking in the hive, telling everyone to unload their ammo? I've seen the movie. Why not replace that with something we haven't seen/read before, like a transcript of Ripley's report that none of the Marines read, or a transcript of a mess hall conversation that the audience doesn't hear, or a transcript of Bishop's observations on the facehuggers in the medlab while the Marines are venturing to rescue the colonists?

Did we really need a full two-page cutaway of the Dropship, when it was done better and in more detail in the USCM Tech Manual? I'd have rather seen a cutaway of the Auriga, or a cutaway of the Betty or Prometheus, something we haven't seen before.
On that topic, did we need a two page drawing of the Sulaco? The USCM Tech Manual handled that in much, much greater detail. Shit, if you're going to devote two pages to it, at least make it an interesting cutaway or something. The collector's edition of Colonial Marines came with a more visually interesting diagram of the Sulaco than the WY report did.

As cool as the artwork is, did we really need nearly three full pages of paintings of the Dog Alien from Alien3? Why not replace one of those with something we haven't seen before, like a blueprint of the Fiorina 161 facility?
And speaking of the Alien3 section, I really wish they'd gone into a little more detail on the prisoners (especially since it only lists 17 of the 22). There's a ton of unused space on those pages.

It's a really recurring problem with the book - nearly every page has a ton of unused space that's just filled up with images from the movies or whatever. It's really a case of style over substance: the book is this big hard-bound tome that feels really substantial, but the pages are all unnecessarily thick paper stock, and the content itself is sparse or repetitive of things we've seen in the movies. With the $40 price tag, it feels like I'm paying for the binding rather than the content. Hell, the USCM Tech Manual's last chapter crams more interesting insight on Alien biology and applications into like 15 pages than the entire WY Report does in the whole book, and the Tech Manual is half the price.

I'm just trying to figure out who the intended audience for this book really is. It's regurgitating a ton of content straight from the movies (often verbatim) without really expanding on any of it (aside from the Prometheus section, as mentioned), which tells me it's not aimed at die-hard fans of the movie because those sorts of people will already know everything the book is presenting them. But at the same time it's a $40 hardcover book, which makes it a really hard sell for casual fans looking to learn more (especially when the superior USCM Tech Manual is $20).

I'm really, really glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Sideshow special edition version of this book for several hundred dollars.
Christ, what a missed opportunity.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 01, 2016, 05:52:33 AM
Just got done reading through the WY Report.

Overall I'm... kinda disappointed.

Ouch! And you're a really big fan, probably a bigger one than me!

SizzyBubbles

It's cool. (The collectors edition is a total a joke  :P ) The regular book is a nice alien fan collector's piece. That's about all it did for me.

SM

In regards to the prisoners, you'll note the heading says 'Notable staff and inmates' - emphasis on the notable.

The reason there were big pictures of the Sulaco and dropship and big spreads of weapons - and indeed a large section of the book is given over to Prometheus, Alien and Aliens - is they're the most popular films, that even casual fans might be drawn to.

It's not supposed to replace something like the great slabs of text in the CMTM, which wouldn't attract the casual fan.  It's more a coffee table book and a completely different beast.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah I was really looking forward to the book, and the USCM Tech Manual is pretty much the gold standard of "in universe tie-in books" for any franchise ever. It's just chock full of content from cover to cover, and the level of detail is mind-blowing. I got Lance Henriksen to sign my copy on the page about Artificial Persons (he wrote "I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid") and he couldn't stop saying "Holy shit, is this a real book? This is real. This is a real book" as he paged through it.
And the Tech Manual absolutely deserves a reaction like that.

The WY Report was an amazing opportunity for something similar, but even broader in scope (covering 5 movies instead of 1) and from a different perspective. Tons of opportunities for clever corporate double-speak, expansion on ideas presented in the movies, creative ways of presenting information (or not presenting information, if the book had chosen to be strict in what the Company did or didn't know), all kinds of stuff.

There's a ton of information presented that, if the book were handled "realistically" as an in-universe document, the Company shouldn't know, or at least the book doesn't really go into detail about how it knows what it knows. Why not include a bit about a "debriefing" of the Bishop android after the Company salvages him on Fury 161? That could have been cool as heck.
The book flat-out says WY salvaged the Auriga's AI, but then doesn't have any sort of transcripts of that AI saying or doing anything. Seeing Father's reactions to the chaos happening onboard the ship could have been really cool.

Just the way things are presented is really inconsistent. Even 'Star Beast', allegedly an excerpt from a larger book, isn't presented as an excerpt. Like, the 8 pages straight up summarize the entirety of 'Alien3', while providing no insight into any of the characters or the events going on. If that's the excerpt, and it covers literally the entire movie, how long was the whole book? Is the excerpt just the introduction, and then the rest of 'Star Beast' is reiterating the introduction in greater detail? It's not made clear.
And then the Alien3 chapter has the gall to say, "not much useful information was gained from the Fury 161 incident", while having entire pages devoted to repetitive artwork, and the Bishop salvage getting a one-line mention. Like, seriously?

Or the Resurrection chapter being a nearly barren wasteland of information (other than half-disguised snark at how inept the USM is), and then including multiple references to information WY is apparently "going to get" in the near future after they get more data from the USM. That felt like the biggest cop-out ever, that's the kind of stuff you put in a book like this if there's a new movie on the horizon and you don't want to reveal spoilers or have your book be contradicted. Like, it made sense in the Prometheus chapter when dealing with David and Shaw, but not with the Resurrection chapter, where there are no new movies on the horizon that the book could spoil. It felt like a lazy excuse to not include more content, but then rub it in the reader's face that "there totally is more content forthcoming once we get those files from the USM!".

Even the "Alien applications" chapter is a swing and a miss, when 80% of the "applications" are literally "ways to combat more xenomorphs" (and a couple of them don't make sense). Using Alien biology to fight Aliens really isn't expanding human knowledge or practical applications for everyday life.

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 06:05:45 AM
In regards to the prisoners, you'll note the heading says 'Notable staff and inmates' - emphasis on the notable.

The reason there were big pictures of the Sulaco and dropship and big spreads of weapons - and indeed a large section of the book is given over to Prometheus, Alien and Aliens - is they're the most popular films, that even casual fans might be drawn to.

It's not supposed to replace something like the great slabs of text in the CMTM, which wouldn't attract the casual fan.  It's more a coffee table book and a completely different beast.
Sure it says "notable", but with the available space on the pages, why not include all 22 prisoners? For as "notable" as they're supposed to be, the ones that do get listed don't get enough information about them to show why they're notable and the other 5 aren't. One of them doesn't even warrant a photo for some reason.
I was ecstatic when I got to those pages because I figured it would finally let me to faces to names for all the prisoners, because even I have trouble remembering who they all are or what they look like. Instead once I realized it didn't list everybody, I was left saying, "Wait, what the f**k?"

I get that Alien and Aliens draw the biggest crowds, but even those sections of the book were just regurgitations of the movie without anything interesting to offer. There's ways to appeal to both hardcore fans and casual fans, because the Tech Manual does it. It's got pretty (and amazingly detailed) pictures about all your favorite weapons and gear and vehicles from the movie, but expands on the movie in ways that are comprehensible to casual fans who have seen the movie and want to know more, and then also has lots of in-depth crazy shit to appeal to the hardcore crowd.

I'm just disappointed because even if it wasn't "intended" to be a companion piece to the CMTM, it absolutely could have been. It just feels like a massively missed opportunity.

SM

QuoteOne of them doesn't even warrant a photo for some reason.

Chalk that up to the faceless prisoners, being played by stuntmen.  Same with Ed, Lawrence, Christopher, Martin and Janni.  The film doesn't even know what it did with Vincent - seeing as he's never present after the explosion, yet is the first prisoner being chowed when Kevin finds him and the bait and chase sequence starts.  Of all the aforementioned characters, I think the only one identifiable is Martin.

QuoteWhy not include a bit about a "debriefing" of the Bishop android after the Company salvages him on Fury 161?

A Bishop AP was present at LV-426 and Fiorina 161 in 2179, giving us some of the most valuable data we have concerning Xenomorph XX121. page 36.

Any "bebriefing" is distilled into the content.

QuoteOr the Resurrection chapter being a nearly barren wasteland of information (other than half-disguised snark at how inept the USM is), and then including multiple references to information WY is apparently "going to get" in the near future after they get more data from the USM.

I liked the snark - hardly half-disguised, it's right out on front street. Same as the criticism of the actions of Prometheus crew.  Does this version have Gediman's haiku?  That was inspired.

As much as I dig the CMTM, it's for a very narrow audience about a narrow subject, so it's not a very fair comparison.  Maybe a 'History of United Systems Military' would be comparable.  This is for a wider audience and therefore doesn't have the same level of detail.  I'm not sure anything out there has the same level of detail as the CMTM.

Personally I find the illustrations in WYR to be streets ahead.

Xenomrph

QuoteChalk that up to the faceless prisoners, being played by stuntmen.  Same with Ed, Lawrence, Christopher, Martin and Janni.  The film doesn't even know what it did with Vincent - seeing as he's never present after the explosion, yet is the first prisoner being chowed when Kevin finds him and the bait and chase sequence starts.  Of all the aforementioned characters, I think the only one identifiable is Martin.
That's what I'm getting at, if the page real estate is there (and it is) and it's already listing people without a picture, then it might as well list everybody for completion's sake.

QuoteA Bishop AP was present at LV-426 and Fiorina 161 in 2179, giving us some of the most valuable data we have concerning Xenomorph XX121. page 36.

Any "bebriefing" is distilled into the content.
I meant more of an actual transcript of the debriefing. Maybe have Bishop reacting to Ripley's death, maybe he has thoughts on the Alien and for what purposes his knowledge would be used (whether he likes it or not).

QuoteI liked the snark - hardly half-disguised, it's right out on front street. Same as the criticism of the actions of Prometheus crew.  Does this version have Gediman's haiku?  That was inspired.
I thought the snark about the USM was entertaining, but it was just at the expense of actual interesting content in my opinion.
I definitely agree with the criticisms of the Prometheus crew, and it helped really point out what the audience had been saying all along: "yeah, these people are kinda dumb".

And yeah, the haiku line was present (and hilarious).
Like don't get me wrong, there's little flashes of brilliance (Michael Bishop having cybernetic enhancements) but then there's just a ton of stuff that's either inconsistent in tone, or feels really superfluous. Like the book starts out by saying "Order 937 is cool and good, crew expendable is an acceptable thing" but then by the Alien3 chapter it insists that the Patna was dispatched to Fury 161 to rescue the prisoners and Ripley, and that Ripley's survival post-operation was of the utmost concern. There's a pretty huge disconnect there.

Or when it has big multi-page spreads about the Pulse Rifle and USCM armor and talks about how they're the preferred Alien-killing weapons and equipment and how awesome and rad they are, completely forgetting that this book is supposed to be written two centuries after 'Aliens'. It felt like really blatant fan pandering, and it's as if the book didn't want to fully commit to its "in universe report" premise.

QuoteAs much as I dig the CMTM, it's for a very narrow audience about a narrow subject, so it's not a very fair comparison.  Maybe a 'History of United Systems Military' would be comparable.  This is for a wider audience and therefore doesn't have the same level of detail.  I'm not sure anything out there has the same level of detail as the CMTM.
That's fair, but I'd still absolutely love to see a "Weyland-Yutani Report: Special Security Clearance Edition" that went into CMTM levels of detail. Shit, I'd love to contribute to a project like that. Maybe a project like that could be viable if Alien: Covenant is a success.

As for other stuff with comparable levels of detail to the CMTM, I'd say some of the Star Wars "essential guides" come close, especially the Essential Atlas and the Essential Chronology.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed