Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 54,827 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I knew that this would happen. Fox will always ruin something when something too good happens. Remember when Cameron wanted to do Alien 5 in the early 2000's and Fox had the project die in order to do AVP. History has repeated itself again. This is why I feel like that we will never get a Alien 5 because something else has to get in the way first.

T Dog

Well I for one am glad this pussified nerd fan fic retcon isn't happening.

Xenomrph

Quote from: tmjhur on Oct 30, 2015, 08:37:15 PM

"Nerd fan fic retcon" I get, but I think you'll have to elaborate on "pussified".

Born Of Cold Light

Again, this is an opportunity to do the Alien equivalent of Jurassic World; a story completely in continuity, yet introduces totally new plot lines and characters for the next generation.

T Dog

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 30, 2015, 08:48:48 PM

"Nerd fan fic retcon" I get, but I think you'll have to elaborate on "pussified".
The crybaby "waaaahh waaaahhhhhh hicks and newt are dead" nerd faction who were then thrilled by the idea of a 23 year old plot point being "fixed". I just feel like these people were supporting artistic drivel, people who want things to be exactly like they wish and can't get over a 23 year old creative decision. Grow a pair, get a life!

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

I wasn't too keen on Blomkamp's ideas for the film so this "delay" doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm more excited for Paradise Lost and would take another story that expands an existing world rather than retconing away interesting stories from the old canon.

Shane Black said it best, why reboot when the old universe has such a rich lore to explore? Alien doesn't need to constantly rely on Ripley. Is it so hard for Mr. Blompamp to make a new strong female lead for the film? Isolation gave us Amanda Ripley, sure technically she's Ripley, but not ELLEN Ripley. I'd rather he get more creative and give us some new characters to enjoy.

whiterabbit

Quote from: tmjhur on Oct 30, 2015, 09:06:24 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 30, 2015, 08:48:48 PM

The crybaby "waaaahh waaaahhhhhh hicks and newt are dead" nerd faction who were then thrilled by the idea of a 23 year old plot point being "fixed". I just feel like these people were supporting artistic drivel, people who want things to be exactly like they wish and can't get over a 23 year old creative decision. Grow a pair, get a life!
Yea that's pretty much pussy. Guys need to just learn to deal with it. Hick and newt are dead and I can live with that.  :laugh:

For those Alien³ haters however, Ridley will retcon the movie by stating that the Alien was a bioweapon designed to only destroy man via the host method. Yep, it's like a virus and only attacks the host it was designed too. So, sorry, no dog or ox alien, Alien³ is done for. :P

As much as I want to see another alien movie... kind of glad the movie being hinted at won't happen.

The Alien Predator

^
Oi, viruses mutate!  :P

I am with you though, whiterabbit, I'd much rather see a new and interesting story with new and interesting characters that expands existing stories rather than contradicting them. Why can't he just not mention Alien 3 and Resurrection?

Predators ignored Predator 2, it didn't overwrite it so it's easy for people who enjoyed Predator 2 to also enjoy Predators as part of the same universe.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 30, 2015, 03:11:05 PM
What the hell has 'Genisys' got to do with this? The reasons that failed have nothing to do with it being a retcon and everything to do with poor script, direction and casting.

'Terminator 2' effectively retconned some of 'The Terminator'. Are we also going to say retcon = success because of that, too? A lot of people also seemed to like how the recent 'X-Men' film has also retconned a lot of that history, too - and that was successful. Silliness...

The reason for this undoubtedly has everything to do with Ridley Scott being a producer on Blomkamp's enterprise. He won't be able to do an effective job of that if he's simultaneously so immersed in helming the 'Prometheus' sequel. To say that slight delay therefore must mean the other film will no longer happen, has no basis in reality. It's been green-lit - the budget has been authorised. It's simply a matter of timing, no more, no less. Hardly a first in Hollywood.

Also, look at the quote: "Alien is kinda holding/pending 'Prometheus 2'."

That means P2's schedule is responsible for altering A5's. It's nothing to do with whether or not there is/isn't a retcon or whether it would/wouldn't work. Assuming a retcon features, any potential problems Fox might have with that would have already been dealt with.

It's just Scott having his fingers in too many pies and needing more time to commit. Possibly also some story elements he's told NB he'd like to have crossed over, but which need revealing in P2, first. But almost certainly finding time for obligatory producer duties.

Quoted for Wisdom, Truth and Clarity!

PRJ_since1990

Nothing has been written in stone. In fact, until we hear otherwise, this movie will happen. Way too much excitement [FOX -read "money"] for this to become a crumpled pile in the trash.

I love how this news post has devolved into the typical banter of "Retcon/No Retcon." Born of Cold Light has the idea I believe more fans should embrace. New characters, same timeline/universe.

Respect people's opinions guys, girls and guests. No need to get nasty.   

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 31, 2015, 12:23:53 AM
New characters, same timeline/universe.

Are we sure that this movie is going to be in the same timeline as Alien 3? I mean all signs point to it not really being such, given Blomkamp's statements regarding Ellen Ripley and the fact we're seeing a pulse rifle, which likely would've been discontinued in manufacturing post Resurrection era.

acrediblesource

The problem is people are too critical of this darn movie. It's like, yes its a cash grab, we know it, it's not going to re-invent the wheel, it's just another take like JC's Aliens on steriods. Nothing wrong with it, it will happen but the marketing machine tells us not to think about it too hard right now. I'm comfortable with that.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Beatnation on Oct 30, 2015, 03:46:13 PM
"...as much as I love the xeno- and Lt ripley"

Exactly!, he doesn't love the Alien movies, he just want Ripley be AGAIN AND AGAIN the main protagonist instead create a good story, he just want to erase Alien 3 in favor of wet fanfiction just because, I hope Fox get another writer/director who truly respect and love the Alien franchise.

If you had read or watched any interviews with the guy, you would never have written that. The guy loves the films. Has seen the original on a massive screen, in a way the rest of us simply can't afford to. Has been one of the few directors out there to say the series needs to return Freudian Lovecraftian themes to the subtext and Giger's biomechanics.

And you claim he doesn't appreciate the films?

You also forget he had an original story in mind already and it was Weaver who convinced him to modify it, so that Ripley can return.

Nobody on this site, including you, has even the slightest idea of what the story will be. Passing judgement on it at this point is arrogant in the extreme.

The Alien Predator

If that's true, then I wish he'd stick with whatever his original idea was.

I think it'd make this whole canon argument mute as he'd be able to tell a self contained story that'd fit in the rich lore of the original films and add more with whatever it is he brings to the plate. I'm all about adding more interesting stories to an existing one, giving it an in-universe history to look back on.

In the end, whatever happens, happens. It's his film and he's the one getting paid by Fox should this not get cancelled, he doesn't really owe us anything.

And yet, I still hope he doesn't incorporate Ripley into it. I want him to for once break the cycle and give us interesting new faces to meet.

Oh well, it's still not going to stop me from enjoying Alien 3 and Resurrection and just borrow whatever concept I may like in this new film to add to the old while disregarding the fact it has Ripley in it, I'll just pretend it's Hick's cryotube fuelled dream or something, Blonkamp can mess with the canon all he wants, but he can't mess with the power of head canons.  ;D

Ash 937

Right now, the Alien franchise could very well be the best weapon that FOX has against Disney's Star Wars.  Yes, Star Wars has a wider appeal but I can't recall any other Sci-Fi franchise under FOX's command that you can add prequels and sequels to that also has so much mainstream appeal (that also goes back 35 years).

Maybe FOX should try to capitalize on this franchise from multiple ends...just like what Disney is doing with Star Wars with the new sequels and anthology films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed