Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 04, 2010, 05:12:36 PM

Author
Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized (Read 238,752 times)

SiL

It means we live together in groups and share responsibilities and help each other.

Kradan

Kradan

Are there any other species apart from humans that are "social" ? Probably bees ?

SiL

Is this a joke question ???

Most mammals and birds. Lions, primates, whales, dolphins, dogs, wolves. Anything that lives in a herd or a flock or a colony. So many animals are social.

Kradan

No, it wasn't, And thanks for clarification btw  ;)

Ok, are there animals that are NOT social ?

SiL

Most reptiles, invertebrates, some mammals and birds.

Kradan

Are being social and wanting to be loved the same thing ?

Sorry for the question fest

SiL

Not necessarily, but they are related.

Crazy Rich

I do think love is overrated but still has it's importance to the point there are aspects of love that are actually underappreciated so there's a guarantee our reasoning differs.

I believe love is a natural part of social life and that there is no escaping from the fact that humans as a species/animal are highly social creatures as it is a part of our strategy and strength for survival.

Where I start to think that love is overrated is when it's considered mandatory for happiness and success in modern life, that's where I call bullshit, though it could very well be due to personal bias given my background.

The background:
Spoiler
Much of my life ever since childhood was consumed by self-hatred (often times bottled up), mostly because I negatively viewed my autism as an obstacle to belonging and having value, and in my long pursuit for greatness and achievement I also desired recognition and praise from others which is normal on it's own... but it got to the point where it played a role in me growing to be overly dependent on others and so in the social sphere if I wasn't getting the attention or recognition I wanted it meant I didn't belong (yea great attitude not at all prone to bizarre logic that shifts to the mood of the moment). Even once upon a time on this very forum and into UV there were a few members I had put on so high of a pedestal that they could of never have possibly lived up to my unrealistic and unfair expectations, and when they inevitably didn't I'd act out and I think in hindsight it perhaps created a wedge between us overtime.

Combined though with broken dreams and depression in between 2010 and 2015 and after so much pain and suffering I finally came to understand that I needed real help, which started in 2015 as autism consulting where there was a strong emphasis on gaining greater independence and learning self-love. That's where I feel love is actually underappreciated, learning to love yourself. By now in the 2020's I am indeed far more independent, my outlook on my autism is now positive now that I have a better and more informed understanding of it and now embrace it as part of who I am, so much more changed for the better but the main point is that I've finally been able to make peace with my past and find a measure of happiness in my life....

.... without any relationships. Happiness is not something that a relationship can guarantee and in fact you could be even more miserable instead, happiness is something I believe comes from within when you can learn to love, nurture and take care of yourself, and this in turn has a way of attracting others which is how I am more independent but not lonely anymore.
[close]

Also I don't think love in a relationship sense makes one more dependent (unless you allow it), if anything from all that I've learned and researched each partner maintaining their own independence actually makes for a much healthier relationship.

BlueMarsalis79

I think you're right Rich.

[cancerblack]

There are certainly types of love that can weaken a person. Unrequited feelings developing into Limerence. Codependent relationships. Abusive relationships.

But when people genuinely "click", respect each other, and are mature enough to work through issues together, it tends to strengthen both parties because they feel safe and supported enough to grow both as individuals and a team.

Note that I'm only really talking about "romantic" love, not familial or platonic, but similar things apply there too.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 23, 2022, 09:42:53 PM
I do think love is overrated but still has it's importance to the point there are aspects of love that are actually underappreciated so there's a guarantee our reasoning differs.

I believe love is a natural part of social life and that there is no escaping from the fact that humans as a species/animal are highly social creatures as it is a part of our strategy and strength for survival.

Where I start to think that love is overrated is when it's considered mandatory for happiness and success in modern life, that's where I call bullshit, though it could very well be due to personal bias given my background.

The background:
Spoiler
Much of my life ever since childhood was consumed by self-hatred (often times bottled up), mostly because I negatively viewed my autism as an obstacle to belonging and having value, and in my long pursuit for greatness and achievement I also desired recognition and praise from others which is normal on it's own... but it got to the point where it played a role in me growing to be overly dependent on others and so in the social sphere if I wasn't getting the attention or recognition I wanted it meant I didn't belong (yea great attitude not at all prone to bizarre logic that shifts to the mood of the moment). Even once upon a time on this very forum and into UV there were a few members I had put on so high of a pedestal that they could of never have possibly lived up to my unrealistic and unfair expectations, and when they inevitably didn't I'd act out and I think in hindsight it perhaps created a wedge between us overtime.

Combined though with broken dreams and depression in between 2010 and 2015 and after so much pain and suffering I finally came to understand that I needed real help, which started in 2015 as autism consulting where there was a strong emphasis on gaining greater independence and learning self-love. That's where I feel love is actually underappreciated, learning to love yourself. By now in the 2020's I am indeed far more independent, my outlook on my autism is now positive now that I have a better and more informed understanding of it and now embrace it as part of who I am, so much more changed for the better but the main point is that I've finally been able to make peace with my past and find a measure of happiness in my life....

.... without any relationships. Happiness is not something that a relationship can guarantee and in fact you could be even more miserable instead, happiness is something I believe comes from within when you can learn to love, nurture and take care of yourself, and this in turn has a way of attracting others which is how I am more independent but not lonely anymore.
[close]

Also I don't think love in a relationship sense makes one more dependent (unless you allow it), if anything from all that I've learned and researched each partner maintaining their own independence actually makes for a much healthier relationship.

Great post, especially the part about the relationship between happiness and love

Also, what I think is overrated is the idea that there's only one person in the entire world that you can be happy with i. e. "he/she's The One". If so.why people tend to fall in love with people that live pretty f**king nearby ?  What makes one think that one's life partner doesn't live on the other side of the planet ? Would be funny if people actually would have to make a round-the-world trip to find their One True Love

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah so funny can't imagine that.

SiL

Oh yeah the idea of "the one" is some bullshit.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 23, 2022, 10:56:44 PM
Would be funny if people actually would have to make a round-the-world trip to find their [...] Love

Yeah... hilarious...

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 23, 2022, 11:25:30 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jan 23, 2022, 10:56:44 PM
Would be funny if people actually would have to make a round-the-world trip to find their [...] Love

Yeah... hilarious...

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 23, 2022, 11:18:15 PM
Yeah so funny can't imagine that.

I just love how you two get mad at me sometimes. It's almost like you're a couple or something

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed