Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,230 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 21, 2020, 09:32:09 PMThe Prestige

Nolan's best, IMO.

Bold claim. I might not disagree though.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Da 5 Bloods

Overall excellent, and Clay Davis says sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit. ;D And pretty much everything with Boseman is goddamn eerie watching it now.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 22, 2020, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 21, 2020, 09:32:09 PMThe Prestige

Nolan's best, IMO.

Bold claim. I might not disagree though.

There's just something incredibly compelling about the lengths Bale and Jackman go to to outdo each other. And the movie itself is goddamn insane with some of the directions it takes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 22, 2020, 11:06:04 PMThere's just something incredibly compelling about the lengths Bale and Jackman go to to outdo each other. And the movie itself is goddamn insane with some of the directions it takes.

I mostly remember it for not even realising David Bowie was in it until after I'd finished watching it. He was so good as Tesla.

Been working my way through a DVD box set over the last week and a bit.

Dirty Harry

As much as I enjoy all five of these, there's no denying the original is comfortably the best of the series, thanks in no small measure to the villain Scorpio, who's played brilliantly by Andy Robinson. He's not just the best Dirty Harry baddie, he's one of the best movie psychos I've ever come across. I especially like how, whenever the chips are down, he instantly switches from cold-blooded killer to snivelling little bitch, and you totally buy it either way. Also, the scene where Harry genuinely tortures him for the location of the girl he's kidnapped is still pretty shocking.

Partner casualty count: One hospitalised, plus dialogue mentions one killed and another hospitalised before the events of the movie.

Magnum Force

Well, it didn't take long for this franchise to become completely self-aware. (Actually, you could argue it happened even before the end of the first film, when Scorpio's going down the freeway in the school bus he's just hijacked and he sees Harry standing on a bridge in the distance, waiting for him like some avenging angel.) Overall this one feels a bit too long, but it's still a solid entry. The bit at the end where Harry mows a motorcyclist down with his car is a highlight.

Partner casualty count: One dead - mailbomb to the face.

The Enforcer

Probably the funniest of the series, with Harry at his most devastatingly scathing. It certainly tries to up the ante from the previous two, with the bad guys now packing assault rifles and rocket launchers, but really the scenes with Harry and his new female sidekick are it's strongest asset.

Partner casualty count (in what is comfortably the bloodiest of the series in this regard): Two dead - one stabbed, one shot.

Sudden Impact

I always remembered not liking this one much, but seeing it again I think there's a case for it being the best of the sequels. It definitely has the most interesting plot, and Mitch is the most hateable unhinged villain the series has had since Scorpio. Add to which Harry actually lets the murderer go because he comes to understand their killing spree, which I'd totally forgotten about. Also, I especially like the bit where Harry walks into his hotel room to find his buddy has had his throat slit, but he doesn't get really angry until he sees the bad guys have superficially hurt his dog too. That's some John Wick-level shit.

Oh yeah, and it'd be remiss of me not to mention how Harry trades in his trusty .44 revolver for a f**king CHROME .44 SEMI-AUTO HAND CANNON.

Partner casualty count: Harry doesn't actually have one, so to make up for it his cop buddy gets tortured and killed.

The Dead Pool

I only just noticed how it took them four sequels to finally give one a title that bears some actual relevance to the plot :laugh: This one's frequently daft (that car chase lol) but it might actually be the sequel I enjoy the most. It's just so much fun. Jim Carry isn't in it for very long, but while he is he's a riot. Also contains probably the best one-liner of the whole series: "f**k with me, buddy, and I'll kick your ass so hard you'll have to unbutton your collar to shit."

Partner casualty count: One hospitalised.

Conclusion: Five entertaining films, and don't be Harry Callahan's partner.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Shrek 2

'For you baby, I could be." :laugh: No joke, this is a better Banderas Zorro movie than the actual sequel.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 23, 2020, 11:15:24 AM
Been working my way through a DVD box set over the last week and a bit.

Dirty Harry

As much as I enjoy all five of these, there's no denying the original is comfortably the best of the series, thanks in no small measure to the villain Scorpio, who's played brilliantly by Andy Robinson. He's not just the best Dirty Harry baddie, he's one of the best movie psychos I've ever come across. I especially like how, whenever the chips are down, he instantly switches from cold-blooded killer to snivelling little bitch, and you totally buy it either way. Also, the scene where Harry genuinely tortures him for the location of the girl he's kidnapped is still pretty shocking.

Partner casualty count: One hospitalised, plus dialogue mentions one killed and another hospitalised before the events of the movie.

Magnum Force

Well, it didn't take long for this franchise to become completely self-aware. (Actually, you could argue it happened even before the end of the first film, when Scorpio's going down the freeway in the school bus he's just hijacked and he sees Harry standing on a bridge in the distance, waiting for him like some avenging angel.) Overall this one feels a bit too long, but it's still a solid entry. The bit at the end where Harry mows a motorcyclist down with his car is a highlight.

Partner casualty count: One dead - mailbomb to the face.

The Enforcer

Probably the funniest of the series, with Harry at his most devastatingly scathing. It certainly tries to up the ante from the previous two, with the bad guys now packing assault rifles and rocket launchers, but really the scenes with Harry and his new female sidekick are it's strongest asset.

Partner casualty count (in what is comfortably the bloodiest of the series in this regard): Two dead - one stabbed, one shot.

Sudden Impact

I always remembered not liking this one much, but seeing it again I think there's a case for it being the best of the sequels. It definitely has the most interesting plot, and Mitch is the most hateable unhinged villain the series has had since Scorpio. Add to which Harry actually lets the murderer go because he comes to understand their killing spree, which I'd totally forgotten about. Also, I especially like the bit where Harry walks into his hotel room to find his buddy has had his throat slit, but he doesn't get really angry until he sees the bad guys have superficially hurt his dog too. That's some John Wick-level shit.

Oh yeah, and it'd be remiss of me not to mention how Harry trades in his trusty .44 revolver for a f**king CHROME .44 SEMI-AUTO HAND CANNON.

Partner casualty count: Harry doesn't actually have one, so to make up for it his cop buddy gets tortured and killed.

The Dead Pool

I only just noticed how it took them four sequels to finally give one a title that bears some actual relevance to the plot :laugh: This one's frequently daft (that car chase lol) but it might actually be the sequel I enjoy the most. It's just so much fun. Jim Carry isn't in it for very long, but while he is he's a riot. Also contains probably the best one-liner of the whole series: "f**k with me, buddy, and I'll kick your ass so hard you'll have to unbutton your collar to shit."

Partner casualty count: One hospitalised.

Conclusion: Five entertaining films, and don't be Harry Callahan's partner.

I could never get on board with Sudden Impact. Out of the blue Harry is letting a criminal go? Yeah right. :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 24, 2020, 12:02:12 AM
Shrek 2

No joke, this is a better Banderas Zorro movie than the actual sequel.

Word.

God damn that sequel was bad.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 24, 2020, 12:02:12 AMI could never get on board with Sudden Impact. Out of the blue Harry is letting a criminal go? Yeah right. :laugh:

I dunno, I actually buy it given the circumstances.

Plus it was the only one directed by the actual Dirty Harry, and I figure he'd know best :P

Kradan

Kradan

Alien: Covenant

Billiken

Billiken

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 24, 2020, 03:13:18 PM
Alien: Covenant

I still enjoy it. Hope they finish series.

Prez

Prez

Love Actually

Finally watched this in one sitting with the missus.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Wonder Woman 1984 - 8/10

Fun, heartfelt, good natured and colourful. Wonderful movie.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

"He's a molesterer!" :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery

The Predator

Austin Powers 1-3

Krull

Lightning Jack

The Ascent

Excalibur

Office Christmas Party

Finding Dory

Who Dares Wins

Moana

Cars 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Coco

This Island Earth

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Finally caught this (minus the first ten minutes or so) on TV. I never really rated the previous one, but that seems positively great compared to this. There were a few glimmers of decency in the finale in the house, but even those were undone by the recurring stupidity. Add to which I honestly didn't give a shit about anyone in it. Christ, even Jurassic Park III (which I hate) managed to have vaguely interesting characters.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2020, 11:53:26 AM
Krull

I still have yet to fully watch this, and I've always been a sword & sorcery fan too!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Perfect Blue

A very interesting mindf**k of a thriller. But damn, that late 90s "what is this internet thing?" exposition was hilarious.

Prez

Prez

Perfect Strangers
A great Italian film about friends, marriage, relationships and the secrets we keep.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed