Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,878 times)

Prez

Prez

The Predator
First time I've rewatched it in full since seeing it at the cinema.
Cut that last couple of minutes and it's actually a better ride than I remember.
Black & Dekker's (no pun) dark offbeat humour actually worked a lot better for me this time round.

I still have fun with this film. It tried to add something new to the mythos and whilst it was very hit and miss ... I would be curious to see how the 2 `friendly' predators would've worked out.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Maybe if they kept the spider Predators I would have given more of a shit. :D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on May 11, 2020, 02:01:47 PMThe Predator
Cut that last couple of minutes and it's actually a better ride than I remember.
Black & Dekker's (no pun) dark offbeat humour actually worked a lot better for me this time round.

The only stuff in it I outright hate are the ending and the dumb subplot about Predators invading Earth because global warming has made it a nice place for them to live - both of which were seemingly added by the studio in post and had nothing to do with Black.

Quote from: Prez on May 11, 2020, 02:01:47 PMI still have fun with this film. It tried to add something new to the mythos and whilst it was very hit and miss ... I would be curious to see how the 2 `friendly' predators would've worked out.

It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing it, but the more I hear about Black's original cut, the more I think I would've vastly preferred it.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 10, 2020, 07:18:29 PM
IT Chapter One

A resounding meh.  It isn't scary at all, Pennywise just isn't menacing in any way.  Worst of all, the characters aren't fleshed out enough, the film feels like it is missing twenty minutes of development.  Had I cared about the characters more, I might have found it a little more scary, but everything done in the movie has been done before.  Shame, the kid actors were all excellent in their roles.

Stephen king books work best at tv miniseries. Especially his books that have 400+ pages.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 11, 2020, 04:14:36 PM

The only stuff in it I outright hate are the ending and the dumb subplot about Predators invading Earth because global warming has made it a nice place for them to live - both of which were seemingly added by the studio in post and had nothing to do with Black.

Quote from: Prez on May 11, 2020, 02:01:47 PMI still have fun with this film. It tried to add something new to the mythos and whilst it was very hit and miss ... I would be curious to see how the 2 `friendly' predators would've worked out.

It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing it, but the more I hear about Black's original cut, the more I think I would've vastly preferred it.

The global warming thing was in the script, as I recall the Predator home world was cooling down. I mainly wish we had gotten Black's original cut since the climax read as way more action packed and, well, climactic.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 11, 2020, 04:14:36 PM

The cast performances are excellent IMO. Holbrook is actually a very likeable good lead and the others are equally fun too (the Loonies are great).
But yes that ending is just so ... like ... get in the bin. Urrgh.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I wish Black hadn't recycled a line from Last Boyscout. "Shove me again and I'll break your neck" is very obviously similar to "Touch me again and I'll kill you." Which come to think of it was also in his original draft of Lethal Weapon...

j0nesy

j0nesy

i also recently rewatched the predator; what were they thinking with traeger's character? i mean, it almost works in some weird kind of way, but wtf? also, the way he goes out :o

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah, his death is another reason why the third act is awful.

The Natural

I honestly wasn't expecting the bit where Michael Madsen runs right through a wall and dies. :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 11, 2020, 08:15:33 PMThe global warming thing was in the script, as I recall the Predator home world was cooling down.

Was it? Interesting. It wasn't in the novel which is why I'd assumed it was another thing added in post.

Quote from: j0nesy on May 12, 2020, 01:02:02 AMi also recently rewatched the predator; what were they thinking with traeger's character? i mean, it almost works in some weird kind of way, but wtf? also, the way he goes out :o

I agree on his death being wtf (the novel offers a passable explanation for what happens, but the film makes it look like he shoots himself simply because someone said his name lol) but otherwise I thought Traeger was one of the best things about the film.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

His death is anticlimactic in the script as well, where he gets sniped by soldiers working for Olmos' deleted character.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It wasn't that it was an anti-climax so much as it didn't make much sense lol.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And it happened so quickly and the lighting was so dark I didn't quite catch what happened at first.

Prez

Prez

So what actually happens to Traeger? I know Munn calls his name out and he turns along with his shoulder canon but ... it happens so fast that I'm still unsure why or what...

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Prez on May 03, 2020, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: Stitch on May 02, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
Just watched The Boat on Amazon Prime. Considering it's one guy stuck on a boat for 90 minutes, it's surprisingly good. Tense and taut.

That's the Maltese shot film you're talking about?
It is indeed. Worth a watch.

Last film I watched was Alien Covenant: Chaos Edition. It's well done, and had a lot of the edits in that I was thinking of doing myself. I think it's a significantly stronger film with the added footage, and it's a really well done edit, but I'm still not convinced it's a good film to start off with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed