Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,089 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Vampires (1998)

"After six hundred years, how's that dick working? Pretty good?" :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

CUBE (1997)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Mate of mine rung me up last week to tell me he'd finally got his new OLED TV and a copy of Predator in 4K, so I went round to christen his home cinema on Saturday. I'll be honest, I'm not convinced by 4K (I'm aware a movie shot in a jungle in the 80s probably isn't the best reference point for the format, but this isn't my only exposure). The film still probably looked better than I've ever seen it look before, but I don't feel a pressing need to upgrade. But whatever, the movie itself was a blast, obviously.

I also convinced him to throw in Predator 2, which he'd only ever seen once years before and turns out he barely remembered beyond the main plot points. As much unfair shit as I feel this film gets, it's clearly not as good as the first one. Still a bitchin' action ride though, and dare I say it the Predator itself is done better.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Tango and Cash
Cheesy goodness

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2019, 11:57:24 AM
Mate of mine rung me up last week to tell me he'd finally got his new OLED TV and a copy of Predator in 4K, so I went round to christen his home cinema on Saturday. I'll be honest, I'm not convinced by 4K (I'm aware a movie shot in a jungle in the 80s probably isn't the best reference point for the format, but this isn't my only exposure). The film still probably looked better than I've ever seen it look before, but I don't feel a pressing need to upgrade. But whatever, the movie itself was a blast, obviously.

Yeah personally, I was very disappointed with Predator 1987 in 4K.  I've read the film cameras used were not the best, therefore the 4K doesn't really bring out any additional detail in my comparisons to the blu, and sometimes the grain experienced was insufferable. So I personally choose just the blu-ray when it comes to Predator 87, waxy faces and all.

Predator 2 and Alien is another matter though.

I've been sitting on some comparison pics that I've been meaning to start a thread on. Maybe I'll do it now.

*Edit
Here's the new thread:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62914.msg2429017#msg2429017

QuoteI also convinced him to throw in Predator 2, which he'd only ever seen once years before and turns out he barely remembered beyond the main plot points. As much unfair shit as I feel this film gets, it's clearly not as good as the first one. Still a bitchin' action ride though, and dare I say it the Predator itself is done better.

My man

The Old One

The Old One

Predator's Blu-ray is atrocious though? Unless you really hate film grain, how the film is supposed to look. When you see it in 4K with a proper set-up, it's no comparison.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 29, 2019, 04:25:02 PM
Predator's Blu-ray is atrocious though?

I never said atrocious. I said "insufferable"!  :P

QuoteUnless you really hate film grain, how the film is supposed to look.

Not quite always. Many AV enthusiasts smarter than me are starting to realize that some 35mm grain is being boosted in processing, meaning no longer natural. Mix that with the low grade cameras used and whamo-bamo it goes back to it's my opinion!  ;D

QuoteWhen you see it in 4K with a proper set-up, it's no comparison.

Between my wonderful 4K viewings of Alien and Predator 2, my setup flips to improper?

You get a big ol' eyeroll for that one!
::)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2019, 11:57:24 AM

I also convinced him to throw in Predator 2, which he'd only ever seen once years before and turns out he barely remembered beyond the main plot points. As much unfair shit as I feel this film gets, it's clearly not as good as the first one. Still a bitchin' action ride though, and dare I say it the Predator itself is done better.

Predator 2 is f**king awesome

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 29, 2019, 04:25:02 PM
Predator's Blu-ray is atrocious though? Unless you really hate film grain, how the film is supposed to look. When you see it in 4K with a proper set-up, it's no comparison.

The Ultimate Hunter Edition sucks, but it was released before that and that one's okay. No DNR.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I owned that one for years- barely above the DVD in terms of picture quality, I just see the 4K one as an enormous leap from that. I just can't understand why anyone might prefer Predator: The Wax Museum edition is all.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've yet to upgrade Predator to Blu, purely because they seem to keep botching it.

I was hoping when the 4K came out that they'd use that for a corresponding regular HD, but I remember hearing the Blu that came out at the same time used one of the old masters.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 29, 2019, 07:04:44 PM
Yeah, I owned that one for years- barely above the DVD in terms of picture quality, I just see the 4K one as an enormous leap from that. I just can't understand why anyone might prefer Predator: The Wax Museum edition is all.

Because other than the grain that sometimes was insufferable to me, often the resolution wasn't an improvement in 4K. As you can see on my screenshots in the below thread, sometimes objects on the blu-ray is actually clearer to make out than the 4K!  It's crazy!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62914.msg2429017#msg2429017

Huggs

Huggs

I have the ultimate Blu-ray that came in the triple pack. I don't get what the big deal is. Everything looks sharp as a razor.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 29, 2019, 08:00:04 PM
I have the ultimate Blu-ray that came in the triple pack. I don't get what the big deal is. Everything looks sharp as a razor.

A few closeups of the actor's faces have a waxy look due to the DNR, Carl Weathers' in particular.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Ringu

Classic, not much more needs to be said.

Spiral

It has a few scattered moments of quality (it nails the ending on the beach, for example), but overall it's a bad sequel to Ringu, a horrid adaptation of a very good book, and frankly dull and uninteresting as a movie.

Ringu 2

This was a replacement sequel after Spiral didn't go over so well, but it really isn't any better. It's basically just a string of nonsensical scenes and set pieces, with not much of a plot tying things together. I still have no clue what to make of the weird pseudo-science shit with the water, or whatever the hell happened in that ending.

Ringu 0

Surprise surprise, this is a pretty strong prequel, that deepens the character of Sadako and adds a whole new dimension to the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed