Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,909 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 04, 2019, 03:17:07 AM
Quote from: P-Rock on Oct 03, 2019, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Oct 03, 2019, 03:22:14 AM
The Thing (5/5)

Great to see someone else who loves The Thing 2011!

That one is more of a (2.5/5)

It was a good idea, but I think it could've been executed a bit better.

In short, practical effects.

https://youtu.be/fBzpT7VmSaU 

But above all, the early pilot design was more interesting.

There's an article at Monster Legacy about that.

Quote from: Monster LegacyIn the final film, said Pilot was replaced by the hologram tower (labeled as "the Tetris version" by the film's own director). As a result, the Thing manifests itself in the form of a mutated Sander; the Sander-Thing was designed in a fairly quick time period, brought on the screen directly as a digital effect. "We created the Sander-Thing the last minute," the director said, "and it shows, unfortunately." The replacement was established after test screenings, and as such the Pilot-Thing can be still briefly seen in the film — hidden by the shadows and camouflaged among the machinery. This is in all probability unintentional, and the question comes up:

Why was the Pilot fired from 'The Thing'?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

I rather saw practical effects but I don't think the digital ones were that bad.
It's the (pre?) ending that was more of a letdown to me. Too much of a typical "final girl vs creature" scene.
But overal not a bad movie, certainly if you take the many crappy reboots, remakes and prequels into account.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I just really don't care about what happened at the Norwegian base. The Thing got out, they all died, that's it. No point in padding that out into a movie.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 04, 2019, 03:57:16 AM
I just really don't care about what happened at the Norwegian base. The Thing got out, they all died, that's it. No point in padding that out into a movie.

Totally. But it's still a decent movie.
And it's arctic/icy horror. There's barely any of that. Guess it's too expensive and unpractical or something.
Even semi-snowy stuff is rare. There's this German soap opera set series set in the Alps called Sturm Der Liebe (I noticed during flipping channels) and it has some beautiful locations. Always makes me wonder why there are slim to non movies set in such locations.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 04, 2019, 05:02:40 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 04, 2019, 03:57:16 AM

Totally. But it's still a decent movie.
And it's arctic/icy horror. There's barely any of that. Guess it's too expensive and unpractical or something.
Even semi-snowy stuff is rare. There's this German soap opera set series set in the Alps called Sturm Der Liebe (I noticed during flipping channels) and it has some beautiful locations. Always makes me wonder why there are slim to non movies set in such locations.

While it is more like historical fiction with drama, I dig "The Terror" (season 1) for the very reason: arctic/icy horror. Although the polar bear of Game of Thrones scares me more  :laugh: but I understand the philosophy behind the design of the Tulpa, and what artists wanted to tell about the dark side of human nature in situations of struggle for survival. At the Mountains of Madness deserves its honorable mention as well. A fictionalized account of Dyatlov Pass has potential  too.

Also, I want more horror movies taking place in Nordic countries such as Midsommar or The Ritual.  8)

P-Rock

P-Rock

Imo The Thing is a good prequel. They've shown enough respect towards the original Carpenter movie. Was it a necessary movie? Nah. I didn't have a problem with the cgi. As I understand it's practical effects painted over with cgi. The only things I didn't like about the movie are 1.) Too many people (hard to remember everyone's name) and 2.) For some reason the thing keeps exposing itself, instead of hiding like in the Carpenter movie.

There's a movie called Devil's Pass about the Dyatlov Pass incident, but it's pretty shit tbh.

I do like The Colony with Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 04, 2019, 03:57:16 AMI just really don't care about what happened at the Norwegian base. The Thing got out, they all died, that's it. No point in padding that out into a movie.

This.

It's much more effective just seeing the creepy aftermath in the Carpenter film than knowing what actually went down.

Rocky IV

Still my favourite of the series. Basically just a succession of awesome montages, and also a robot butler for some reason. I especially love that Ivan trains for the final fight in some super hi-tech bionic gym of the future, while Rocky just goes to a barn and doesn't shave for a month. Only real shame is that they didn't get Bill Conti back to do the score; his Rocky theme is sorely missed, but Vince DiCola does a good job on replacement duties.

Rocky V

I stand by my earlier comments - I really don't get why this is so reviled in comparison to the other sequels. I think it was time for them to go in a different direction after the previous three movies basically had the same plot. It's no more silly than three and four, and its moral message that you can solve all of life's problems by beating people up in the street is hilarious. As for the downer stuff about Rocky losing everything, it might actually be an issue if it looked like he and his family were genuinely depressed by it, but as soon as they're back in Philly they all seem to be perfectly content with their new lives. And good God, Richard Grant is amazing in this. I've seen plenty of scenery chewing over the years, but I can't think of anything that compares to the relentless ferocity with which he devours all around him, he totally steals the show.

Oh yeah, and I totally forgot this ended with an Elton John song :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Joker

A fantastic character study with some brutal moments. It also has a great soundtrack. Dat White Room. 8)

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 04, 2019, 08:51:39 AM

Rocky V

I stand by my earlier comments - I really don't get why this is so reviled in comparison to the other sequels. I think it was time for them to go in a different direction after the previous three movies basically had the same plot. It's no more silly than three and four, and its moral message that you can solve all of life's problems by beating people up in the street is hilarious. As for the downer stuff about Rocky losing everything, it might actually be an issue if it looked like he and his family were genuinely depressed by it, but as soon as they're back in Philly they all seem to be perfectly content with their new lives. And good God, Richard Grant is amazing in this. I've seen plenty of scenery chewing over the years, but I can't think of anything that compares to the relentless ferocity with which he devours all around him, he totally steals the show.

Oh yeah, and I totally forgot this ended with an Elton John song :laugh:

Stallone's performance kind of kills it for me. It feels more like a spoof of Rocky than the actual character.

The Old One

The Old One

Covenant's a superior film to Resurrection, Prometheus, AVP, AVPR and The Predator put together.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 05, 2019, 01:00:29 AM
Covenant's a superior film to Resurrection, Prometheus, AVP, AVPR and The Predator put together.

This came out of nowhere. Wrong thread?

Spoiler
Prometheus > Covenant
;D
[close]

Prez

Prez

Doom: Annihilation
For a straight to VOD flick and also taking in that truly terrible trailer release, this was actually not bad at all. LIke watching an extended episode of your favourite 90s action/sci-fi TV series.

And they took out that terrible `Die, die, die!' cut from the trailer thank goodness.

Not a patch on the Johnson/Urban film which I know get's a lot of stick but as someone who wasn't a massive Doom gamer I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it (pun intended).

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Low Tide (2019)
Well filmed and goodlooking A24 flick with a nice cast and decent acting but it was so unoriginal and predictable.

The Old One

The Old One

I rewatched Covenant, and apart from the ending it's ridiculously superior to everything Alien on film since 1979/1986/1992.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I dunno. The first half is probably better than anything since the third Alien, but I really can't stand it once David shows up. I still think Resurrection is better overall at what it's trying to be, even if what's it's trying to be is all wrong.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

First Blood

Stallone should have gotten at least a nomination for this, his performance at the end is remarkably good.

Also, I've only just now noticed that both of his big movies from 1982 end with a freeze frame. I wonder if Rambo has a painting of this one hanging somewhere around his ranch. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed