Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,988 times)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 17, 2018, 08:58:23 AM
Dredd was awesome but unfortunately the box office saw to it that a sequel would be unlikely. However, I have read they are supposedly making a tv show called Megacity One. I just hope the fans don't get it cancelled like they did with Ash vs Evil Dead.

I struggle to understand why it wasn't a smash. I mean, this was the movie the "fans" had been screaming for.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The Raid beating it to cinemas and being the exact same movie but better probably didn't help.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Prez on Jul 18, 2018, 03:59:32 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 02:52:45 AM
The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?

A great little documentary about a film that almost happened.

The Burton/Cage film yer?

Yes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Star Trek into Darkness

I was never all that wild on the 2009 film (I certainly didn't think as much of it as a lot of people seemed to), which is probably why I didn't see this when it came out. I think I ended up preferring it to the previous one. More action-packed, and the militaristic elements of the plot reminded me of The Undiscovered Country, which is probably my favourite Trek film. Decent, but still not as good as the best of the old movies.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

I've always far preferred this film's immediate predecessor, but for whatever reason, I was really in the mood for this more outlandish (and cartoonish) sequel yesterday, which I've not watched in ages.

This is one of those films that I feel winds up somehow being less than the sum of its parts - there are some brilliant scenes and characters, but the end product ultimately feels like a bit of a let-down. I think part of the problem is the wildly shifting tone from scene to scene - you have laugh out loud comedy mixed with some really dark stuff, and it doesn't seem to blend all that well. Still, it's got a brilliant cast; I dunno what it is about Rodriguez, but starting with this he's managed to routinely assemble absolutely kick-ass casts for his films. Looking back on it now, this really anticipates the grindhouse style he's adopted with most of his movies since. Also loved the subtle little references to the other two films in the trilogy that I'd somehow never noticed before, like Rourke's chihuahua being called Moco (the villain from the first movie) or the ringtone on Banderas' mobile being the song he performs over the opening credits of Desperado. Great little touches.

Not as good as the superb Desperado, but still an immensely fun ride.

p.s. To any Mexican members we may have on the forums, I have one question for you: "Are you a Mexican? Or a Mexican't?" :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2018, 01:39:08 PM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico

I've always far preferred this film's immediate predecessor, but for whatever reason, I was really in the mood for this more outlandish (and cartoonish) sequel yesterday, which I've not watched in ages.

This is one of those films that I feel winds up somehow being less than the sum of its parts - there are some brilliant scenes and characters, but the end product ultimately feels like a bit of a let-down. I think part of the problem is the wildly shifting tone from scene to scene - you have laugh out loud comedy mixed with some really dark stuff, and it doesn't seem to blend all that well. Still, it's got a brilliant cast; I dunno what it is about Rodriguez, but starting with this he's managed to routinely assemble absolutely kick-ass casts for his films. Looking back on it now, this really anticipates the grindhouse style he's adopted with most of his movies since. Also loved the subtle little references to the other two films in the trilogy that I'd somehow never noticed before, like Rourke's chihuahua being called Moco (the villain from the first movie) or the ringtone on Banderas' mobile being the song he performs over the opening credits of Desperado. Great little touches.

Not as good as the superb Desperado, but still an immensely fun ride.

p.s. To any Mexican members we may have on the forums, I have one question for you: "Are you a Mexican? Or a Mexican't?" :laugh:

Honestly, it would be better if it were just about Johnny Depp being a bastard and manipulating everybody. The El Mariachi character doesn't really fit in a story with such large scope. And it doesn't help that they not only showed flashbacks of what looked like a much more interesting movie, but the bad guy he's out to get revenge on is a total blank slate who's barely in the movie and does less than nothing. And the sidekick maraichis suck. Enrique Iglesias is worse at acting than he is at singing. Somehow. :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

All valid points.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 07:35:56 PMAnd it doesn't help that they not only showed flashbacks of what looked like a much more interesting movie, but the bad guy he's out to get revenge on is a total blank slate who's barely in the movie and does less than nothing.

I honestly can't remember him even speaking until the scene where Mariachi kills him :laugh:

In fairness though, weren't they hamstrung by the fact Hayek was only available for a week or so to film her parts?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2018, 07:46:06 PM
All valid points.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 07:35:56 PMAnd it doesn't help that they not only showed flashbacks of what looked like a much more interesting movie, but the bad guy he's out to get revenge on is a total blank slate who's barely in the movie and does less than nothing.

I honestly can't remember him even speaking until the scene where Mariachi kills him :laugh:

In fairness though, weren't they hamstrung by the fact Hayek was only available for a week or so to film her parts?

Ah, didn't know that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 07:47:15 PMAh, didn't know that.

I can't remember where I heard that, but I definitely remember hearing it, and it would certainly explain why she's barely featured in the film.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 18, 2018, 07:49:50 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 07:47:15 PMAh, didn't know that.

I can't remember where I heard that, but I definitely remember hearing it, and it would certainly explain why she's barely featured in the film.

And yet is still second billed and all over the advertising.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Equalizer

This wasn't all bad. Denzel was great, the concept for his character was great, and that hardware store massacre, f**k me. The rest of it is desperately in need of a good tight edit, though. It takes forever for the main bad guy to get onto him, and so much time is wasted on useless subplots like the fat guy's mom. And the villain is so ridiculous he's impossible to take seriously.

I'll stick with Wick 1 if I want to see Russian mobsters getting offed.

Dirty Harry

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross. " :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 20, 2018, 01:58:03 AM
The Equalizer

This wasn't all bad. Denzel was great, the concept for his character was great, and that hardware store massacre, f**k me. The rest of it is desperately in need of a good tight edit, though. It takes forever for the main bad guy to get onto him, and so much time is wasted on useless subplots like the fat guy's mom. And the villain is so ridiculous he's impossible to take seriously.

I'll stick with Wick 1 if I want to see Russian mobsters getting offed.

The pole saw was just savage.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 20, 2018, 01:58:03 AMDirty Harry

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross. " :laugh:

Love the Dirty Harry films. Even the unofficial sixth one, The Rookie :P

The Old One

The Old One

Nah the unofficial sixth is Gran Torino.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Krampus
I'd been really looking forward to this but yeah was fun but no way near as good as I thought it would be

Commando
Still a cheesy great film to watch. There were really random cuts though on the DVD I have that ive only just noticed lol

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 20, 2018, 09:54:05 AMNah the unofficial sixth is Gran Torino.

That would be the seventh, because The Rookie is honestly a Dirty Harry film in all but name.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed