Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,347 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 15, 2018, 07:04:29 AM
Island in the Sky - John Wayne

Not his best movie, but something to watch. I give it 1.5 out of 5.

I'm not really familiar with his work.
What would you say his best movies are? Considering acting performance and overal quality of the movies?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 15, 2018, 07:12:34 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 15, 2018, 07:04:29 AM
Island in the Sky - John Wayne

Not his best movie, but something to watch. I give it 1.5 out of 5.

I'm not really familiar with his work.
What would you say his best movies are? Considering acting performance and overal quality of the movies?

There are too many to list. But if I had to choose a few that definitely were near the top, I'd say:

The Searchers, True Grit, The Quiet Man, and The Shootist.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 14, 2018, 09:12:04 PMIn the Mouth of Madness

A few iffy calls here and there, but overall a very good film and the last really great one from Carpenter. Having Sam Neill in the lead helps immensely, of course.

Might be my favourite film ending of all time.

Moonraker

Got my Bond Blu-rays back, so I put this on. A very uneven film - for everything dumb that happens (and there are some seriously dumb moments), there seems to be something really dark to balance it out. In particular, Drax setting his dogs on his secretary for helping Bond is a really harrowing scene. And as dumb as the entire concept of Bond going into space (with zero training!) is, the actual flight into orbit sequence is played totally straight, superbly shot and helped no end by Barry's excellent score. Most of the model shots still hold up really well too; you can tell they spent a lot of time on them.

Still far from the best even Bond and saddled with too much slapstick, but better than I remembered it being.

Also it contains what might be my favourite film set of all time - the Moonraker launch control centre in the Amazon jungle, constructed entirely from huge television monitors. It's incredible, looks like it cost an absolute fortune... and is seen on screen for about 90 seconds :laugh:

Oh yeah, finally, the Venice stuff - I lol'd at how Bond walked into a shop in St. Marks' Square, then somehow ended up in a glass museum actually found on the island of Murano some 30 minutes away, before going upstairs and throwing Drax's henchman through a clock face back in St. Marks :laugh:

Re-watching some Bond also made me put on Licence to Kill. Not so much to say about this, except that it's awesome and the reason I've always liked Robert Davi. I wish he could've got some other starring roles because he's superb as the villain in this.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 15, 2018, 04:40:35 AM
I have a fantasy of John Carpenter cranking out one last amazing movie starring both Kurt Russell and Sam Neill.

Maybe he could make Escape from Earth with Neill playing the Duke of Mars or something.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 15, 2018, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 15, 2018, 04:40:35 AM
I have a fantasy of John Carpenter cranking out one last amazing movie starring both Kurt Russell and Sam Neill.

Maybe he could make Escape from Earth with Neill playing the Duke of Mars or something.

I kind of wish they'd do something like "Unforgiven". With Sam Neil in the Sheriff role.

I just watched 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire. I hated 300 when it first came out, but I'm coming to appreciate it more and more each time I watch it. Rise is nowhere near on the same level - it's literally a load of ott fight scenes strung together with a few bits of dialogue.

But its still really entertaining.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 15, 2018, 09:47:43 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 14, 2018, 09:12:04 PMIn the Mouth of Madness

A few iffy calls here and there, but overall a very good film and the last really great one from Carpenter. Having Sam Neill in the lead helps immensely, of course.

Might be my favourite film ending of all time.

Moonraker

Got my Bond Blu-rays back, so I put this on. A very uneven film - for everything dumb that happens (and there are some seriously dumb moments), there seems to be something really dark to balance it out. In particular, Drax setting his dogs on his secretary for helping Bond is a really harrowing scene. And as dumb as the entire concept of Bond going into space (with zero training!) is, the actual flight into orbit sequence is played totally straight, superbly shot and helped no end by Barry's excellent score. Most of the model shots still hold up really well too; you can tell they spent a lot of time on them.

Still far from the best even Bond and saddled with too much slapstick, but better than I remembered it being.

Also it contains what might be my favourite film set of all time - the Moonraker launch control centre in the Amazon jungle, constructed entirely from huge television monitors. It's incredible, looks like it cost an absolute fortune... and is seen on screen for about 90 seconds :laugh:

Oh yeah, finally, the Venice stuff - I lol'd at how Bond walked into a shop in St. Marks' Square, then somehow ended up in a glass museum actually found on the island of Murano some 30 minutes away, before going upstairs and throwing Drax's henchman through a clock face back in St. Marks :laugh:

Re-watching some Bond also made me put on Licence to Kill. Not so much to say about this, except that it's awesome and the reason I've always liked Robert Davi. I wish he could've got some other starring roles because he's superb as the villain in this.

Agreed about Moonraker, one of the other reasons I enjoyed though it was because of Jaws, though his scare factor was reduced

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Club Dread
Hadnt seen this film in years. such a great spoof of Slasher films featuring a great performance by Bill Paxton

Freddy vs Jason
Jesus Christ I forgot how quickly this film goes. Its done in like 80 minutes

Funny People
A great story but its too overlong to be really enjoyable. Loved the various cameos

PredBabe

PredBabe

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom- just about as disappointing as Jurassic Park 3. It does have some very sad moments that can pull at your heart strings, like
Spoiler
that poor long neck who missed the boat
[close]
. But in general it is a very mediocre movie with newer characters that you don't feel anything for.

Russ

Russ

Dredd. It's a pass.

Such an awesome movie - i love the colour grading they used... like, you'd expect it to be grey/blue and its warm reds and browns. It really looks like an irradiated sun-blasted hell-city.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Dredd was awesome but unfortunately the box office saw to it that a sequel would be unlikely. However, I have read they are supposedly making a tv show called Megacity One. I just hope the fans don't get it cancelled like they did with Ash vs Evil Dead.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 17, 2018, 08:58:23 AM
Dredd was awesome but unfortunately the box office saw to it that a sequel would be unlikely. However, I have read they are supposedly making a tv show called Megacity One. I just hope the fans don't get it cancelled like they did with Ash vs Evil Dead.

The fans got Ash Vs Evil Dead cancelled?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

By illegally downloading. Starz was already limited enough by the fact it was geo-restricted, so that was already hurting them since not everyone could get the app and keep the ratinga going. Fans unwittingly added to the problem by downloading instead using one of those VPNs.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Kamisama no iu tôri (2014) aka As The Gods Will
Based on some manga.
Not sure how crazy this is by Asian standards but it was weird.
Entertaining and interesting but a tad too long.
Noticed it's a little typical for Asian flick to have certain amount of dramatic/emo conversations.

Range 15 (2016)
Veterans vs zombies
Cheap horror comedy that sometimes is so bad it's good.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?

A great little documentary about a film that almost happened.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 18, 2018, 02:52:45 AM
The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?

A great little documentary about a film that almost happened.

The Burton/Cage film yer?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed