Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 849,387 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: D88M on Feb 03, 2018, 01:17:44 PM
Creep 2.

I love found footage horror movies, when done right it gives and unique experience and atmosphere, a very visceral reaction.

Despite being more humorous, i think is just as good as the first one, is different, but still good, cannot wait for the third one.

I have mixed feelings about this one.
It certainly has its moments of greatness. But in some way I think it would be better suited as part 1, if you remove the opening scene.
Did thought it was more entertaining than the first. That one dragged on a little too long for my taste.

Btw, I like (love) found footage too. Favorites are The Tunnel, Trollhunter, Chronicle, Frankenstein's Army, Man Bites Dog, Hardcore Henry and more I can't remember.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Cloverfield Paradox

That was crazy and entertaining as all hell.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Feb 04, 2018, 07:45:22 AM
Quote from: D88M on Feb 03, 2018, 01:17:44 PM
Creep 2.

I love found footage horror movies, when done right it gives and unique experience and atmosphere, a very visceral reaction.

Despite being more humorous, i think is just as good as the first one, is different, but still good, cannot wait for the third one.

I have mixed feelings about this one.
It certainly has its moments of greatness. But in some way I think it would be better suited as part 1, if you remove the opening scene.
Did thought it was more entertaining than the first. That one dragged on a little too long for my taste.

Btw, I like (love) found footage too. Favorites are The Tunnel, Trollhunter, Chronicle, Frankenstein's Army, Man Bites Dog, Hardcore Henry and more I can't remember.

The first one did drag a little around the middle, for the sequel i would have liekd a little more horror but is an okay movie and is a worthy sequel.

From those that you mention i have only seen Frankenstein Army and Hardcore Henry, both are lots of fun, i believe that a Doom movie should be in first person like they did with HH, i woudl recommend to you: Noroi: The Curse, Home Movie, The Last Prayer, Exhibit A, Grave Encounters, and Megan Is Missing off the top of my head

Last movie i watched: Under The Skin, very well shot, experimental, a little horror, indie movie, is pretty strange but i liked it, it was worth the time watchign it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Bone Tomahawk

I knew all about the horrific slaughter scene in this film from the buzz back when it came out. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of telling my mate (who, excuse my Australian, is a c*nt) how repulsive I thought it sounded, and so he bought me the DVD for Christmas, knowing full well that - as a present - I'd have to watch it :laugh:

It's actually a very, very good film. Kurt Russell, Matthew Fox and Richard Jenkins in particular are excellent in it. There's no denying it contains some truly upsetting violence - in particular the aforementioned butchering scene - but in the context of the film it doesn't necessarily feel gratuitous, as the reaction it incites is exactly what the film intends.

Worth a look if you can stomach the gore.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 05, 2018, 05:12:33 AMThe Cloverfield Paradox

What's the deal with that? I only learned about it this morning.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 04, 2018, 06:30:16 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 03, 2018, 12:40:15 PM

One thing I didn't remember was the mini tag at the end advertising the originally planned sequel "Dead Easy", which they replaced with Bordello of Blood.

You don't like Bordello of Blood?  Fun movie, IMO. 

Oh I loved Bordello of Blood. I mean I'd forgotten about the tag for a film they decided no to make after they released Demon Knight

Coco
Pixar do it again. such a brilliant and beautiful film. Its always great when they jump into a completely original world. Im not crying, you're crying

Halloween II (1981)
I forgot how bloody this sequel is compared to the first one. Shame that this wasn't the end of Myers story like it was obviously planned. But Its a great film.

Dreamcatcher
The book is definitely better. Although the cast is spot on. With various bits cut, it does feel like 2 or 3 films mashed together

Robocop (Original)
Still a fantastic film. Its timeless and Peter Weller is just perfect

Total Recall (Original)
Perfect Arnie Fodder. Im actually a fan of the downbeat ending theory. What about you guys?

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 05, 2018, 05:12:33 AM
The Cloverfield Paradox

Whats this?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 05, 2018, 12:18:25 PMTotal Recall (Original)
Perfect Arnie Fodder. Im actually a fan of the downbeat ending theory. What about you guys?

My biggest problem with the remake was how it almost entirely jettisoned the is it/isn't it real thing the original had going on throughout. It added so much to the film.

As for thoughts on the ending, unusually I have no opinion on whether it really happened or not, but I really enjoy the ambiguity all the same.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 05, 2018, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 05, 2018, 12:18:25 PMTotal Recall (Original)

My biggest problem with the remake was how it almost entirely jettisoned the is it/isn't it real thing the original had going on throughout. It added so much to the film.

As for thoughts on the ending, unusually I have no opinion on whether it really happened or not, but I really enjoy the ambiguity all the same.

That ambiguity was definitely what gave the original its edge. The remake was pointless. well it would have been better if they'd kept the Ethan Hawke stuff anyway

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

More than anything, I hated how the remake recycled some of the scenes from the first that muddied the waters as to whether this was real or an illusion... but altered them to make it abundantly clear it was never an illusion.

Take the scene where the guy from the Recall ad visits Quaid on Mars to try and talk him down. In the original, that's an amazingly layered scene. In the remake they cut the guy from the ad and replaced him with Quaid's mate, thereby removing all the subtle mind-f*ckery the original entailed, while also making it totally obvious that his buddy was playing him, gutting all the mystery and tension.

It made you feel the people involved were being wilfully ignorant.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

They stripped the fun from it definitely

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 05, 2018, 12:17:34 PM

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 05, 2018, 05:12:33 AMThe Cloverfield Paradox

What's the deal with that? I only learned about it this morning.

It's the third film that was announced a while back. Bad Robot dropped a surprise  teaser during the Super Bowl revealing that it was premiering on Netflix after the game ended.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)
Movie itself started out alright but became more and more average.
The Cloverfield tie-in was unnecessary, again.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Feb 06, 2018, 04:10:24 AM
The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)
Movie itself started out alright but became more and more average.
The Cloverfield tie-in was unnecessary, again.

See I loved the tie-in ...

Spoiler
Explains a lot about the events in the original film - that is where big ol Clover came from and why. Film was alright - I enjoyed it but I think the Original and 10 Cloverfield Lane are far superior films.
[close]

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Winchester
An okay Horror that works better with the Psychological stuff, than what comes across as stupid Jump Scares. You can tell with the outside stuff that they are trying to disguise that its filmed in Australia. But the design of the house is brilliant

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Blue Thunder

Mad 80s action flick about the LAPD being chosen to test a heavily-armed helicopter gunship (Why? Who cares) and a government conspiracy revolving around the craft.

Can we count the number of 80s action movie clichés this film checks?
  • A hero who drives a classic muscle car, bucks authority and has a dark past involving Vietnam.
  • A preposterous plot.
  • Even more preposterous action sequences.
  • A good old-fashioned R rating.
  • A charismatic villain played by a Brit.
  • A newbie partner who clearly won't survive the movie.
  • Token nudity.
For added what-the-f*ckness, it was written by Dan O'Bannon of Alien fame; the two films couldn't be further apart tonally.

Also the hero is a cop called Murphy and the male newsreader from RoboCop is in it, again playing an anchor, so this is officially a prequel about Alex Murphy's estranged brother :P

Vertigo

Vertigo

Slightly too on-topic for this subforum, but did anyone ever approach Dan O'Bannon about further developing the Alien universe? Writing a sequel or consulting, that sort of thing?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed