Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 98,332 times)

oduodu

oduodu

Why am I getting that Deja vu "Prometheus all over a gain feeling' where you had a great story to start with and then someone came and ripped the heart out of it leaving the director in a state of "uh well that's the script we decided on but OK we will do that i don't understand why its A PROBLEM NOW BUT WHEN WE WROTE AND DECIDED THE STORY INITIALLY IT WAS GO AND GREEN LIGHTS " and a VERY  good (and very good script writing) director is left  completely bewildered. So when a true fan of the Predator franchise walks away saying i am glad this is over you know something is wrong.

Subs360

Subs360

It was so cool to see the fugitive predator. He felt a legitimate badass in this film. Loved when he used the human arm to signal to the driver that everything was ok. And when he waves hia fingers at the loony gang.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

This was alot of fun, but most of the humour could have been cut back and just keep with Baxley and Coyle and the motel scene.

But that final final scene annoyed the f**k out of me. wasnt needed at all.

I really want to see the original third act now.

couldnt help but laugh at the

"Wanna Meet a Predator" Line lol

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
f**k me this was awful.

The humour was so forced in places and just. Kept. Going. The movie derailed two important scenes for pussy jokes. Not cute tags at the end of scenes; major diatribes in the middle of the plot trying to get moving. What the everloving f**k.

Treating aspergers as a super power is bad enough, but actually saying that being on the spectrum is "the next stage in evolution" -- and doubling down on that by having the Assassin target the kid for his autistic spinal fluid is just ... who the f**k cleared this? Honestly?

My biggest issue is that it doesn't feel like a Predator movie, it feels like a Marvel film with gore and a bad guy that looks like a Predator. They could've had Deadpool in the lead and it would've fit right the f**k in. The Iron Man (really War Machine -- should cannons, grey colour, it's War Machine) suit at the end really didn't help.

The Assassin was pointless. He could've just been another Predator and it wouldn't have changed anything. Being bullet proof because of your skin and bullet proof because you're wearing armour is functionally the same to the plot. He added nothing of any real interest.

I liked McKenna and Nebraska. I thought Thomas Jane did a really good job until the last act.

But the constant forced humour, uneven plotting, limp third act and God-f**king-awful ending really spoil this film. I won't be surprised if this bombs at the box office. It's a dud.
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

I trust your opinion, and oh boy.

Seeing it this afternoon.

Huntsman

Huntsman

I have to wait until the weekend. Hoping I'm on the 'it was flawed fun' side of things. Pray for me.

Scott

Scott

The more I think about it over the course of the day. The more frustrated I am getting.

For those who have seen it.

Does anyone else feel that there was absolutely ZERO point in having the Upgrade as a roided up giant?

Thought I didnt mind but its really grating on me. He did NOTHING that a normal predator couldnt have done without being 12ft tall.

Could they not just have had a Predator who was just stonger and faster. Having it lumbering arund the place doing nothing but being a big CGI and bulletproof mess has done nothing to justify its existence.

Also as a side note:

* Spoiler *

Why did they edit the film in such a way that when McKenna asks the Upgrade "What are you" and it begins to answer; he immediately shoots it in the face?

If you've asked a question isnt it polite to wait for an answer?

Nychus

Nychus

I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. Judging by these other reviews, it ain't worth the trip to a cinema even if it is entertaining.

Subs360

Subs360

Quote from: Scott on Sep 13, 2018, 12:48:45 PM
The more I think about it over the course of the day. The more frustrated I am getting.

For those who have seen it.

Does anyone else feel that there was absolutely ZERO point in having the Upgrade as a roided up giant?

Thought I didnt mind but its really grating on me. He did NOTHING that a normal predator couldnt have done without being 12ft tall.

Could they not just have had a Predator who was just stonger and faster. Having it lumbering arund the place doing nothing but being a big CGI and bulletproof mess has done nothing to justify its existence.

Also as a side note:

* Spoiler *

Why did they edit the film in such a way that when McKenna asks the Upgrade "What are you" and it begins to answer; he immediately shoots it in the face?

If you've asked a question isnt it polite to wait for an answer?

I think that was a homage to the first one with a twist, nothing more.

I kinda agree, The fugitive was good enough

Huntsman

Huntsman

I think it's more about introducing a different class of Predator to the mythos.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The comics will do something cool with it, no doubt.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Seeing it later today as well

blood.

blood.

yeah this wasn't a predator movie.

Those weren't predators.

looked and sounded like predators, but didn't act like predators. At all. It seemed like some kind of spin off star trek movie set on earth, and an excuse for some unfunny jokes. I saw a lot of negative reviews, and read a lot of the spoiler free stuff and "switched my brain off" going in, in the hopes to enjoy this film. But nothing could prepare me for actually how bad this movie is.

jeanjean

jeanjean

People are never happy... I personally had a good times. Probably because my expectations were very low. The main problems were the jokes (not bad, but just too many. Including the predator makes a joke... seriously, the predator makes a joke ::) , and the autistic kid. This character was totally out of place. But I really loved the team, great actors. 
But at least they took risks to propose something different, instead of the same movie over and over again. I didn't like Predator 2010 for that, reason, too similar to the original.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Just got back and woah I must have seen a different movie.

This was a 5/5 experience for me and I absolutely loved it!

A good mix of OTT violence (and make no mistake there are
Spoiler
decaptations, intestines falling out, and spine tearing a plenty
[close]
despite only being rated 15 in the UK!!!!), amazing PREDATOR spaceship action, humour, good script, some funny razer sharp dialogue, suspense and tension.
There is just too much to cover but this is a 5 star PREDATOR movie that absolutely expanded the lore and Shane Black has hit the ball out of the park with the mythology whilst making a movie intended for the blockbuster market.
I don't think purists need worry this is a killer movie, but don't expect it at your local arthouse cinema like PREDATOR (1987) which sometimes get shown as an all-time classic with it's subliminal cinematography, camera-work and editing.

In terms of rumoured Alien Vs Predator easter eggs, whether nods or plot points such as
Spoiler
the mooted "Lex's Spear" from AVP in the artefact cabinet when Olivia Munn's character is being shown a tour of Project Stargazer as reported on social media and featured as news here at AVP Galaxy. I couldn't tell if it was the spear handed towards the end of AVP or mistaken for another PREDATOR-2 weapon
[close]

Spoiler
Also did I spot AVP-R actor Robert Joy who played Colonel Stevens whose character ordered the airstrike on Gunnison play an uncredited role in THE PREDATOR (2018). Either him or someone who looks and sounds like him was monitoring military air-jets on radar trying to intercept the PREDATOR ship and he says "calling in an airstrike, inbound from Norad".That was the exact same line from AVP-R LOL:laugh:
[close]

Spoiler
Didn't see Françoise Yip who played Ms Yutani in AVP-R- who was credited on IMDB as being in THE PREDATOR (2018) as a "head tracker". All I remember female cast wise was Olivia Munn and Yvonne Strahovski so I wonder if Françoise Yip scenes were cut
[close]

As for the expanded lore of
Spoiler
The PREDATOR wanting to conquer the world. I really hope an AVP-3 film set in the future could answer this question whereby the governments of the world finally realise they need to band together and use science and technology to emigrate to other planets in order to survive.................With the inevitable acid dripping Xenomorphs and Predator blades having something to say about the conflict of interest with species survivial and propagation. I really can see an opening for an ALIEN/PREDATOR cross-over as humans prepare for the future of space travel. Remember that AVP3 set in Africa where they are mining a resource for PREDATOR plasma used to power Weyland's Engine thrusters for space-trave based on reverse engineered technologyl?
[close]

Now for who worked on THE PREDATOR. Good to see Tom Woodruff Jr credited as puppeteer and practical effects. One the the Strauss Brothers from Hydraulx who did AVP-R and digital effects for countless other, more well received movies including MARVEL- as well as SKYLINE and the underated BEYOND SKYLINE were credited as digital effects.
Also SHANE BLACK did a fantastic job directing and I'll admit I really like his IRON MAN-3 although it appears to be cool to bash that movie for some reason despite the critical and box office success.

I hope THE PREDATOR is a success and I would definately like AVP3 now!

PS- nice of the cinema to give out a free hand out glossy poster as pictured by me.

https://imgur.com/a/gCiMbgI

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed