Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 76,825 times)

The Old One

The Old One

So am I, there's lots of elements here that make me anxious.

- The second half of Defiance wasn't so good.
- Weyland-Yutani being straight up evil.
- Genetically altered Xenomorph(s).
- "Alien" Enhanced synthetic(s).
-Taking place between Alien & Aliens.
- Amanda Ripley "Hero"

If it connects to Fire and Stone/L&D, it'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.

SM

SM

It doesn't.

The Company is BIG and known for having some employees having a cavalier attitude with the lives of others.

Local Trouble

As I stated in the Defiance thread...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 10, 2019, 09:29:07 PMIs this where the full-Umbrella version of W-Y came from?  This series seems to depict more of a military-industrial cabal of W-Y execs and USCM brass colluding with each other to bring the alien to Earth.

I haven't read Resistance yet, but are we to understand that this cabal is more of a collection of shadowy renegades than a formally sanctioned operation from the top down?

The Old One

The Old One

I hope so.

Perhaps a Deus Ex (2000) style- inner shadow organisation, within W-Y.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 25, 2019, 04:31:01 AM
As I stated in the Defiance thread...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 10, 2019, 09:29:07 PMIs this where the full-Umbrella version of W-Y came from?  This series seems to depict more of a military-industrial cabal of W-Y execs and USCM brass colluding with each other to bring the alien to Earth.

I haven't read Resistance yet, but are we to understand that this cabal is more of a collection of shadowy renegades than a formally sanctioned operation from the top down?

Was Burke working alone or was he formally sanctioned?

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Jan 25, 2019, 04:08:41 AM
The Company is BIG and known for having some employees having a cavalier attitude with the lives of others.

The problem is that those are the ones that are shown too often and even then their evilness is usually quite over the top. For once I would like the story to focus on something else other than the "Evil W-Y". Even the introduction refers to them as the "malevolent megacorporation".The series just can't seem to get away from that angle.

SiL

SiL

I find WY much more interesting when they're just nudging people into shitty directions to see what happens, rather than overtly trying to endanger/f**k with/murder people. They were inspired by corporate negligence, but today they're just ... actively evil. Even if we say it's sleeper groups within the Company, it feels like a cheap way to have our cakes and eat it.

Burke was an individual concerned with personal gain, who arguably went against his own Company to achieve that goal (attempting to lay claim on the find rather than run it up the corporate ladder, where he would be forgotten). He wasn't in a position to, say, air-drop eggs on an unsuspecting colony to see what happens, for example.

SM

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 25, 2019, 11:30:38 AM

The problem is that those are the ones that are shown too often and even then their evilness is usually quite over the top. For once I would like the story to focus on something else other than the "Evil W-Y". Even the introduction refers to them as the "malevolent megacorporation".The series just can't seem to get away from that angle.

So just ignore 38 issues worth of Fire & Stone, Life & Death and Dead Orbit, then?

426Buddy

Ultramorph

Truth. Lorimer got killed before he could turn heel in L&D, and the Company was pretty much entirely absent in the others.

The Old One

The Old One

Dead Orbit's excellent.

But yes, I'd advise everyone to ignore the former two.  :D
I think SiL nailed it;

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2019, 01:13:44 PM
I find WY much more interesting when they're just nudging people into shitty directions to see what happens, rather than overtly trying to endanger/f**k with/murder people. They were inspired by corporate negligence, but today they're just ... actively evil. Even if we say it's sleeper groups within the Company, it feels like a cheap way to have our cakes and eat it.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 25, 2019, 09:48:56 AMWas Burke working alone or was he formally sanctioned?

I don't know...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 08, 2014, 09:35:50 PM
The way Burke phrased it, it sounded like it was someone else at the company who agreed to pick up Ripley's flight contract.  Maybe they did it at Burke's behest with no questions asked.  I don't know.  I'm not saying that whoever did it was in on it.  If anyone was in on it to any degree, I'd say it was someone in the bioweapons division who was expecting a specimen of "something interesting."

SM

SM

There may have been people Burke was working with, but the film gives us the distinct impression he's working alone.  He's the kind of guy who would've issued SO 937.  Both working without any official go ahead from higher up.

This is that but on a larger scale.  Though not too large to avoid continuity issues.

No one is under any obligation, of course, to like this approach.  :)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Jan 25, 2019, 01:20:10 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 25, 2019, 11:30:38 AM

So just ignore 38 issues worth of Fire & Stone, Life & Death and Dead Orbit, then?

Key word "too often," not "always".

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 25, 2019, 01:55:05 PM

Not sure what you are getting at.  :P

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 25, 2019, 03:46:22 PM
Dead Orbit's excellent.

But yes, I'd advise everyone to ignore the former two.  :D
I think SiL nailed it;

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2019, 01:13:44 PM

I agree with that too, negligence and ambiguity works, being a superhero or spy style villian does not.

Local Trouble

It might help if we ever saw some powerful executives in the mining and terraforming divisions of Weyland-Yutani express some sort of resentment or disdain for their corporate siblings in the weapons division.  That could serve to offset the perception that the entire company is rotten to the core.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed