The Reviews/interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Nov 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Author
The Reviews/interviews Thread (Read 324,227 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Can't remember. Part of a preview or interview, I think.

WeaN

WeaN

Quote from: AJL on Feb 01, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
Sega Nerds preview

Quote from: Sega Nerds PreviewWith the Alien missions, my biggest complaint is the overuse of the same sayings the Marines use throughout the levels.  Across three levels I played, I heard the Marines use and re-use about three lines of script.

RIght now I can only remember one; "Keep it together Marines."  At one point I overheard four Marines in a row, in the same room, say that same bloody saying.  Things like that can really ruin the atmosphere and it just seems very lazy - I don't expect Shakespearian style silioques from a game like this, but it's not hard to come up with a few vaguely original lines of script for the AI to use.

Damn ... I can already tell I'm really gonna hate this, especially after having played Halo games ...

Brother

Brother

They see me rollen', they h8ten'...

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Aus gamer preview is the most glowing pre. yet i think i've read that and ign!!!

Bring on this bloooomin demo for god sake so all this pain will easy for a short time!!

;D

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

For some reason, Australia is going AvP crazy. There's a proportionally massive amount of pre-orders for it here. Apparently it's near the top of Game Trader's pre-orders list, impressive considering its competition.

Brother

Brother

The banned - not banned trick worked.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I don't think it's that as much as it's the nature of AvP as compared to the nature of Australia.

We Aussies live in a country where spiders the size of cars live in subways and the only thing bringing rain is the occasional rainsong from whichever Aboriginal shaman happens to be nearest. So we don't really feel like the Aliens or Predators are scary - they're like old friends that we like to run over with trains and discriminate against on the basis of a dark, racist, white supremacy past. AvP isn't so much AvP to us as it is 'Australia: The Game'.

It's almost national identity, it is.

skull-splitter

Quote from: WeaN on Feb 01, 2010, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: AJL on Feb 01, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
Sega Nerds preview

Quote from: Sega Nerds PreviewWith the Alien missions, my biggest complaint is the overuse of the same sayings the Marines use throughout the levels.  Across three levels I played, I heard the Marines use and re-use about three lines of script.

RIght now I can only remember one; "Keep it together Marines."  At one point I overheard four Marines in a row, in the same room, say that same bloody saying.  Things like that can really ruin the atmosphere and it just seems very lazy - I don't expect Shakespearian style silioques from a game like this, but it's not hard to come up with a few vaguely original lines of script for the AI to use.

Damn ... I can already tell I'm really gonna hate this, especially after having played Halo games ...

Welcome in 2010.

What I hated more is his remark on MP-levels: it's the same tight levels all over again...

Xhan

Xhan

Actually the destroy lights thing didn't work in AvPG against anyone with a brain... seeing as Marine night vision was bled out by light sources. If you broke all the lights you made his NV perfect and then you got skeetered in the crotch.

affinity

affinity

Marines have no night vision this time (thankfully.  its scarier and more fun with just shoulder lamp, which AVP didn't have until AVP2.)

It's possible maybe one of the maps will feel as large as Stranded, but with a dense jungle.   I know they dont want people sniping across the map but AVP needs more than quake sized maps for MP.

Drewid

Drewid

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 01, 2010, 02:37:05 PM
I don't think it's that as much as it's the nature of AvP as compared to the nature of Australia.

We Aussies live in a country where spiders the size of cars live in subways and the only thing bringing rain is the occasional rainsong from whichever Aboriginal shaman happens to be nearest. So we don't really feel like the Aliens or Predators are scary - they're like old friends that we like to run over with trains and discriminate against on the basis of a dark, racist, white supremacy past. AvP isn't so much AvP to us as it is 'Australia: The Game'.

It's almost national identity, it is.
Fantastic.   

I've seen a magazine spread in the UK, (PC zone IIRC), which has chunks of text from the Classification Operations Board of Australia detailing the various ways in which characters can be dismembered, along with the strapline "I bet you can't wait to play it now."    ;D ;D

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: Drewid on Feb 01, 2010, 04:32:48 PM
Fantastic.   

I've seen a magazine spread in the UK, (PC zone IIRC), which has chunks of text from the Classification Operations Board of Australia detailing the various ways in which characters can be dismembered, along with the strapline "I bet you can't wait to play it now."    ;D ;D

LOL. The first report was amusing as well. I think all the buzz the game made in Australia was the best promotion. Thanks Classification Board.

Also, SEGA just posted the multiplayer modes list.

DEATH MATCH:
If you love a game with frantic, brutal chaos then Death Match in AVP multiplayer is for you. It's all about getting the most kills in the time limit set. Players can also win the match by hitting the target score before anyone else.

INFESTATION:
For total over-whelming mayhem, nothing comes close to the tension and potential for pant-wetting scenarios than INFESTATION. One player starts the match as an Alien Hunter and their task is to kill the Marine prey. When a Marine player is killed they will join the Alien Hunter team and help to kill off any remaining Marines.

MIXED SPECIES DEATH MATCH:
just like Death Match, but with mixed species. Two teams, made up from all three species fight to get the most kills in the set time limit or to reach the target score before the other team.

SURVIVOR:
For the ultimate test of stamina, play Survivor Mode. Survivor allows for up to four players to enter an arena to fight waves of progressively stronger aliens. Each arena will be set up with two main areas. One will be a platform which is relatively easy to defend; the other will be an area where ambush by aliens is more likely. Supplies of health and ammo will re-spawn in this second area.

PREDATOR HUNT:
If you're after a more stealthy multiplayer game go for Predator Hunt. In this mode one player is selected to become the Predator Hunter, the rest of the players take the role of the Marine prey. The Hunter must use the Predator's stealth abilities and advanced equipment to pick off the prey and score points. The Marines will need to defend themselves from this threat and if possible, to kill the Hunter.

SPECIES DEATH MATCH:
Species Death Match pits a Marine team, Alien team and Predator team against each other in a race to get the most kills within the set time limit or to reach the target score before any of the other teams.

DOMINATION:
Take capture the flag to a whole new level with Domination. In Domination two teams fight for ownership of Control Points around the level. Owning a Control Point gives the team a small and steady, stream of points. The more Control Points owned, the more that team scores. A team will win when their score has reached 100 points.

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/02/01/aliens-vs-predator-multiplayer-modes-dissected/

Xhan

Xhan

Domination sounds intriguing.

Brother

Brother

No evac :/

WeaN

WeaN

The way it should be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed