Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 239,770 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2013, 10:31:09 PM
What of either of those things says "special authority" ... ?

The fact that no normal Aliens ever tell their brothers and sisters to refrain from killing a person.  :o

SiL

SiL

When have they had the need to?

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

Quote from: Hudson on Sep 04, 2013, 12:02:55 AM

The fact that no normal Aliens ever tell their brothers and sisters to refrain from killing a person.  :o
I'm just asking this because you said something that got me thinking,

If there was another alien in alien 3, would that alien be able to communicate to the other not to kill Ripley or would the second alien have to go up and "sniff" (for lack of a better term) Ripley like the alien does in the film?  If they did communicate would it just be through body language and/or audible noises or do the creatures use a telepathic form of communication?  Maybe it's not telepathy but just at a frequency the human ear can't hear.
You guys started talking about how a queen can communicate so I just got to thinking about this stuff.  I don't know really, I've read all sorts of stuff but just wondered how others thought it worked or if there's a definitive answer.

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

I'd like to know of a situation in which they needed to that appeared in the films, because I sure didn't see anything.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Sep 04, 2013, 12:13:18 AM
When have they had the need to?

Why did the Queen even need to? If the other Xenos ambushed Ripley she would've been dead in about half a second and maybe launched one grenade, which would've caused minimal damage compared to what eventually happened.

QuoteIf they did communicate would it just be through body language and/or audible noises or do the creatures use a telepathic form of communication?  Maybe it's not telepathy but just at a frequency the human ear can't hear.

I could go for something like that. I feel like the Aliens' heads are some type of sensory device (why they don't have eyes) that maybe detects something that is incompatible to how humans and other earth animals perceive senses. Not necessarily telepathy, but definitely not sight. Although I'm sure their sense of taste is just dandy.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy did the Queen even need to?

So Ripley wouldn't set fire to the eggs.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: saintssinphony on Sep 04, 2013, 12:20:54 AM

If there was another alien in alien 3, would that alien be able to communicate to the other not to kill Ripley or would the second alien have to go up and "sniff" (for lack of a better term) Ripley like the alien does in the film?  If they did communicate would it just be through body language and/or audible noises or do the creatures use a telepathic form of communication?  Maybe it's not telepathy but just at a frequency the human ear can't hear.
You guys started talking about how a queen can communicate so I just got to thinking about this stuff.  I don't know really, I've read all sorts of stuff but just wondered how others thought it worked or if there's a definitive answer.

Well in AVP2 the game. A scientist had confirmed the alien runners can communicate to other aliens from a frequency to recieve orders and send out information. The scientists datapad goes on to say it might be possible to override there orders if given time, equipment and a live queen (or empress in the game. Basicly a larger more dominant queen.) they could harness and control the hive. However it doesn't say the aliens all work on the same frequency. So it might only apply to runners or drones or predaliens.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Terx2 on Sep 04, 2013, 04:03:14 AM
Quote from: saintssinphony on Sep 04, 2013, 12:20:54 AM

Well in AVP2 the game. A scientist had confirmed the alien runners can communicate to other aliens from a frequency to recieve orders and send out information. The scientists datapad goes on to say it might be possible to override there orders if given time, equipment and a live queen (or empress in the game. Basicly a larger more dominant queen.) they could harness and control the hive. However it doesn't say the aliens all work on the same frequency. So it might only apply to runners or drones or predaliens.

That's a good point. However, although I agree with you, I want to point out this isn't film canon, since that's what folks seem to be going off of purely. Personally, I take all forms of EU into account when considering what is true and what is false (since that's what canon boils down to in the end, personal truth). AvP2 and the Aliens: Earth Hive series both mention a sort of frequency/telepathy that the Queens can use to communicate. In Aliens: Earth Hive, the Royal Queen Mother sends out signals to people all the way from the Alien home world, giving them mixed dreams of love and attraction to utter nightmares. I would venture so far as to call that more of a frequency misread as telepathy, since light has different frequencies, some that can be seen and others not, and can travel great distances.     

SM

SM

In AvP they operate in audible frequencies, but Resurrection suggests something outside the audible range.  Possibly even telepathic - as much as the concept irks me.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2013, 06:24:38 AMIn AvP they operate in audible frequencies, but Resurrection suggests something outside the audible range.  Possibly even telepathic - as much as the concept irks me.
The novelizatrion makes it very clear the aliens have some unspecified mental connection with the queen.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That isn't official canon as now you're bringing in EU material. That's a whole other issue.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I know, I wasn't suggesting it was definitive proof, just throwing it out there.

Although I'd consider the novelizations far more credible than all the other EU books. They're at least based on the official scripts.

SM

SM

Normally I'd take that into account, but since it's not verified in the film (plus the fact I don't like it) I leave telepathy out.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2013, 08:18:27 PM
Normally I'd take that into account, but since it's not verified in the film (plus the fact I don't like it) I leave telepathy out.

I was going to ask why you didn't consider it but you answered my question lol. I mean, considering it's fiction, is it really so wrong to:
A: Disregard the possibility of telepathy
B: Disregard all EU as possible explanations when they all build upon and respect the OC

BR1XER

BR1XER

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Sep 04, 2013, 10:05:46 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2013, 08:18:27 PM

I was going to ask why you didn't consider it but you answered my question lol. I mean, considering it's fiction, is it really so wrong to:
A: Disregard the possibility of telepathy
B: Disregard all EU as possible explanations when they all build upon and respect the OC
^this^

Besides, I've read many theories pointing towards telepathy, and most of them are backed up by solid film evidence. Plus, the AvP 2010 audio diaries just scream the concept of "hive mind", and the game itself comes pretty close to acceptable canon. And you can't ignore that a considerable amount of alien fans do believe in the alien telepathy theory.

Like PRJ said, it does no harm to leave telepathy an open option. Perhaps the xenomorphs communicate through a mixture of audibly perceptible or imperceptible sounds and telepathy, as we do with lingual forms and sign language.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed