Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 239,769 times)

DC

DC

Personally read through the whole thread, and I still don't understand why people hate Alien³ so vehemently. If anything, if it hadn't been for Newt's and Hick's deaths, . . . I'd rate it higher than the first two.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I think one of the big reasons is in comparison with the first two movies, which really end on upbeat notes.
Alien for example, as dark and intense as it is, has the most peaceful and relaxing conclusion you could ask for in a movie about space rape, further enhanced by Goldsmith's score. This was later repeated in Aliens.
What these two films did so successfully was put the audience on a ride which offered no guarantee of safety or a happy ending, but still gave it to them in a way that didn't feel like a cheat. With the bittersweet nature of Alien 3s conclusion, it is understandable that some would feel blindsided by the tonal shift.
It is by no means a bad film, but it does have a lot of issues, and Hicks n Newt are the least of its problems.

DC

DC

Quote from: TheMonolith on Aug 15, 2013, 07:49:35 PM
I think one of the big reasons is in comparison with the first two movies, which really end on upbeat notes.
Alien for example, as dark and intense as it is, has the most peaceful and relaxing conclusion you could ask for in a movie about space rape, further enhanced by Goldsmith's score. This was later repeated in Aliens.
What these two films did so successfully was put the audience on a ride which offered no guarantee of safety or a happy ending, but still gave it to them in a way that didn't feel like a cheat. With the bittersweet nature of Alien 3s conclusion, it is understandable that some would feel blindsided by the tonal shift.

Which is why I would rate Alien³ higher than Alien and Aliens since the only things I really didn't like about it was the absence of Newt and Hicks. I personally loved the SHIT out of the ending and the tonal shift. They could have done it without killing off Newt however.

SM

SM

QuoteAlien for example, as dark and intense as it is, has the most peaceful and relaxing conclusion you could ask for in a movie about space rape, further enhanced by Howard Hanson's score.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: DC on Aug 15, 2013, 08:03:37 PM

Which is why I would rate Alien³ higher than Alien and Aliens since the only things I really didn't like about it was the absence of Newt and Hicks. I personally loved the SHIT out of the ending and the tonal shift. They could have done it without killing off Newt however.
They could've had only Ripley's pod eject due to malfunction, then have the Sulaco and Patna race to Fury at the end, but they were going for a gut punch I guess.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: SM on Aug 15, 2013, 11:44:13 PM
QuoteAlien for example, as dark and intense as it is, has the most peaceful and relaxing conclusion you could ask for in a movie about space rape, further enhanced by Howard Hanson's score.
Thanks SM. Learn something new everyday.  ;)

SM

SM

Interesting to note that no Alien3 script featured Ripley, Hicks and Newt all together.

DC

DC

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 15, 2013, 11:47:11 PM
Quote from: DC on Aug 15, 2013, 08:03:37 PM

They could've had only Ripley's pod eject due to malfunction, then have the Sulaco and Patna race to Fury at the end, but they were going for a gut punch I guess.

Wat. That other ship in Alien³, or the one from Aliens: Colonial Marines?

SM

SM

This...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is Patna in any Joseph Conrad books?

SM

SM

Lord Jim.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 16, 2013, 12:30:29 AM
Is Patna in any Joseph Conrad books?

Lord Jim

DC

SM

SM

Nope.

DC

DC

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2013, 01:22:21 AM
Nope.

QuoteThat other ship in Alien³, or the one from Aliens: Colonial Marines?

::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed