Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 241,002 times)

SM

SM

Kind of.

I don't recall any script set on Gateway.  Red, Gibson, Twohy and Ward all set theirs on space stations.  Twohy's was a prison in Earth orbit I believe.

stephen

stephen

"TITS AND FREE BEER

now that we've got your attention - come see our movie"

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2012, 01:53:31 AM
That promo shows and mentions Earth.

It's a blatant mislead to the audience.  People had a reasonable expectation that Alien3 was going to be on Earth.  We know now that Fox never had any intention of doing anything of the sort.

I thought it just hovered over that alien egg in space?

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Well its a good job alien 3 was not set on earth as we know how that went for AVP 1 and 2 although that was more to do with avp films simply being bad films with poor plots and cardboard characters rather than the setting but a lot of fans and average viewers in general reckon it would have been a bit better if it was set in space.
Anyway, that was a dick move on fox's part to mislead people like that.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Apr 04, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Well its a good job alien 3 was not set on earth as we know how that went for AVP 1 and 2

It was very different. AVP I thought had a great idea to set it in Antarctica, most isolated place on the planet. AVPR on the other hand made a joke of the entire series and an idiot out of Ripley, which is now made out to be an overreacting paranoic. show what she wand everyone else would say would happen - mass infestation. If you have to set it on Earth, make the aliens spread. Theres a wildlife all round the town, dont make them conveniently stay in one town when theres life all over, or dont place the movie in such setting at all. It doesnt take a huge budget to show a global infestation - The Signs did it wonderful. Just show a small town barricaded and seeing everything on TV or through radio, and there you go

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

I agree that the first AVP had potential though the lack of character development, sped up life cycle, a few errors with the facts of Antarctica etc let the film down. The film could have been very well done and very good but it became very big disappointment, though its something i know had potential and its something i can watch just fine. AVPR is indeed one big joke and took a big stinking dump on the franchises, its funny how the directors call themselves fans and then messed up the established life cycle and made a mockery of everything. Although i hear they wanted to do it in space originally and then when they couldn't they were going to kill the predalien off in the crash (which might have improved the film) but fox had them make it the main antagonist. The stupidity of the characters and bad acting was so awful. Say what you want about A:R and alien 3 but AVPR is most the hated of the films (to my current knowledge anyway since i only know one person who views it as one of the greatest films ever) :laugh:

SM

SM

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 04, 2012, 11:49:41 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2012, 01:53:31 AM
That promo shows and mentions Earth.

It's a blatant mislead to the audience.  People had a reasonable expectation that Alien3 was going to be on Earth.  We know now that Fox never had any intention of doing anything of the sort.

I thought it just hovered over that alien egg in space?

Pulls back from the egg, it cracks and we're hovering over the Earth.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

And the tagline.
"In space, no one can hear you scream. On Earth, everyone can hear you scream."

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Apr 04, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Well its a good job alien 3 was not set on earth as we know how that went for AVP 1 and 2 although that was more to do with avp films simply being bad films with poor plots and cardboard characters rather than the setting but a lot of fans and average viewers in general reckon it would have been a bit better if it was set in space.
Anyway, that was a dick move on fox's part to mislead people like that.

None of the faults of AVP or AVPR had to do with it being on Earth, honestly. None of those that you mention. Bad characters, bad dialogue, bad plotting... That could just as easily happened in space or on another planet.

Alien 3 being set on Earth would have made thematic sense actually, and if they would have done that, but kept the religious elements that were cropping up in all the drafts, it could have given the series a very apocalyptic ending.

The doom that was hinted at in the first film. (The Jockeys.)
The war that was fought in the second film. (The Marines)
The apocalypse that could have occurred in the third film. (Ripley's sacrifice)

I just think it would have been nice had they played to that idea. Oh God, they finally made it to Earth. That thing we've been worried about for two movies has finally happened.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

AvP and Requiem were completely at fault for putting the Aliens on Earth, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but their was no sense of urgency, both times and especially Requiem the Aliens didn't spread rapidly across the world as Ripley had feared killing everything, instead they just dicked about in restaraunts, bushes and sewers not really doing anything

SM

SM

The Predator probably did more harm with shithouse aim than the Aliens.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Yep, another gripe.  For a badass experienced Predator Wolf'made a lot of noise and caused a lot of damage... plus killing and skinning the cop... WHY!!

SM

SM

Idiotic writing leads to idiotic Predator.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 05, 2012, 01:06:26 AM
AvP and Requiem were completely at fault for putting the Aliens on Earth, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but their was no sense of urgency, both times and especially Requiem the Aliens didn't spread rapidly across the world as Ripley had feared killing everything, instead they just dicked about in restaraunts, bushes and sewers not really doing anything

Again, that's not the fault of the movies being on Earth so much as the writing generally just sucking. It -could- have worked, and with the first film, the general scenario did work okay enough. It was an isolated environment and there weren't too many aliens. It worked well enough. That other movie doesn't even... Just, no. It was bad on every level.  :)

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 05, 2012, 01:53:52 AM
Quote from: Novak 1334 on Apr 05, 2012, 01:06:26 AM

Again, that's not the fault of the movies being on Earth so much as the writing generally just sucking. It -could- have worked, and with the first film, the general scenario did work okay enough. It was an isolated environment and there weren't too many aliens. It worked well enough. That other movie doesn't even... Just, no. It was bad on every level.  :)

I understand what you were saying, it's just a bit of a f**k you to the Ripley's whole battle against the Alien and the Company

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed