Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 241,009 times)

First Blood

First Blood

^ Yes, I agree with this. Kane in Muthurs chamber is not nearly as jarring as the egg scene – which the whole plot of Alien 3 hinges on.

HUTSON

HUTSON

the only thing worse than the egg from nowhere that somehow appears is the predaliens ability to lay eggs through its mouth in AVPR, what ridiculousness when Aliens have a queen that lays eggs and Predators have females they mate with, it was stupid as it made no sense IMO, so I rank A3 as well(or poorly) as AVPR

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: HUTSON on Mar 26, 2012, 12:30:06 AM
I rank A3 as well(or poorly) as AVPR

SM

SM

QuoteThey near enough are since they have more creative control and tend to tell people on sets what they want, they even edited things behind the directors back.
if they are not THE source of the problem then they definitely A source.

A source, yes.  Not THE source.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Mar 25, 2012, 11:54:10 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2012, 11:40:18 PM
Fox aren't writing the scripts.

They near enough are since they have more creative control and tend to tell people on sets what they want, they even edited things behind the directors back.
if they are not THE source of the problem then they definitely A source.

In case you didn't realize, David Fincher quit the movie and then the film was edited. He was a spoiled brat 27 year old kid given one of the bigger franchises the studio ever had its hands on, and it was his first feature. I'm not really sure why he was so surprised that he wasn't given much control over the direction the movie went in. Then he threw his hands up and quit. I don't really feel bad for him.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

David wasn't even brought on until late in production, fox were just  a bunch interfering little t@s who undermined him and everyone so their ideas could be implemented, they are the reason the AVPs were set on earth among other things.
Fox's reputation for executive meddling is infamous.

SM

SM

QuoteDavid wasn't even brought on until late in production

He was brought in during pre-production.

Quotethey are the reason the AVPs were set on earth among other things

That was John Davis.  John Davis isn't Fox.

Hudson

Hudson

Yeah, well considering the amount of time and money they already put into the film, you really think they were going to leave it in the hands of a 27 year old music video director of all people? I think the shock reaction people have when they find out about Alien 3's production history is blown a little out of proportion when they consider Fox's mess ups.

QuoteThat was John Davis.  John Davis isn't Fox.

There's one guy I'd really like to see just LEAVE the franchise and never come back.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 26, 2012, 01:19:06 AM
In case you didn't realize, David Fincher quit the movie and then the film was edited. He was a spoiled brat 27 year old kid given one of the bigger franchises the studio ever had its hands on, and it was his first feature. I'm not really sure why he was so surprised that he wasn't given much control over the direction the movie went in. Then he threw his hands up and quit. I don't really feel bad for him.

With the amount of shit Fox put him through, I don't blame him. It's like being thrown out to sea. Sink or swim.

SM

SM

What did he expect?

QuoteThere's one guy I'd really like to see just LEAVE the franchise and never come back.

'ken oath...

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 26, 2012, 01:34:21 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 26, 2012, 01:19:06 AM

With the amount of shit Fox put him through, I don't blame him. It's like being thrown out to sea. Sink or swim.

People have been through worse things than losing control on a multimillion dollar studio film before they even turn 30, and being able to leave with a paycheck. I don't even want Fincher to participate in any documentaries on the subject, I'm just going to lose respect for him as he whines his head off about the whole thing.

How can you quit production on your first feature, ESPECIALLY if its a studio film, and then have a career ahead of you in Hollywood? Amazing.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2012, 01:26:55 AM
QuoteDavid wasn't even brought on until late in production

He was brought in during pre-production.

Quotethey are the reason the AVPs were set on earth among other things

That was John Davis.  John Davis isn't Fox.

David was brought in late, i didn't watch much of the blu ray dvds with fincher's interviews etc so this will have to do:
from the wikipedia.
Alien 3 had a difficult production, with various screenwriters and directors getting involved in the project, and shooting even started without a finished script. The film was the big-budget debut of a young David Fincher, who was brought into the project very late in its development, after a proposed version written by Vincent Ward at the helm fell through. Fincher had little time to prepare, and the experience of making the film proved agonizing for him, as he had to endure incessant creative interference from the studio and had to shoot the film without having a definite script. The added weight was also to create a film worthy of the work of the two revered directors that had gone before him, James Cameron and Ridley Scott.  Upon completion, the studio dismantled and reworked it without Fincher's consent, including releasing a teaser trailer that suggested the film would take place on Earth.

SM

SM

The distinction here is "pre-production" and "production".

The film was still in pre-production when he was brought in.  They weren't shooting yet.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

The three production types are pre-production, production and post-production.
Did you mean very late in pre-production? the only thing i know is that he was brought in very late in development.

SM

SM

Late in pre-production.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed