Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 240,936 times)

SM

SM

My position doesn't come into it.

But it's something to keep in mind when spending $65m on a franchise film.

Quote from: stephen on Feb 21, 2012, 05:59:50 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2012, 05:58:36 AM
Ripley's sacrifice was the best bit.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Sacrificing yourself for the greater good is something you have a philosophical problem with?

Basher917

Basher917

QuoteI always disliked the film's plot holes, not the damn killing of characters or not being some stupid action bullshit that allow f**king Kenner to market the film toward mindless children with irresponsible parents.

You were saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSv85mJEmY#

QuoteHicks and Newt were great characters and had the best character development I've seen in a sequel

http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/alien/

now as far as I know parents weren't against the Aliens toys as much as the Alien toy.

It's also interesting to note that the Aliens toys came out on the same year of Alien 3, yet the toys are based of the action film Aliens

SM

SM

They were also based on the premise of host influencing the look of the Alien, which was to the fore of Alien3.  Without Alien3 we wouldn't have have the KILLER CRAB ALIEN!!!  (TM)

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2012, 06:15:25 AM
Quote from: stephen on Feb 21, 2012, 05:59:50 AM

We will have to agree to disagree.

Sacrificing yourself for the greater good is something you have a philosophical problem with?

It is by far a topic best discussed elsewhere but in short - yes.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Ripley's sacrifice was a well shot, well edited, incredibly well scored, and beautifully done sequence that not only serves as the artistic high point of the film, it was proper for Ripley's character.
Seeing the film at the age of 12, I was struck by how well made the sequence was. It is only made stronger after studying film and being able to notice the superb artistry that went into it. As a film scholar, I find little fault in this sequence.
It is one of Ellen Ripley's most triumphant moments.

SM

SM

And most of it was slapped together several weeks before the film's release.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Basher917 on Feb 21, 2012, 06:31:55 AM

QuoteI always disliked the film's plot holes, not the damn killing of characters or not being some stupid action bullshit that allow f**king Kenner to market the film toward mindless children with irresponsible parents.

You were saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSv85mJEmY#

QuoteHicks and Newt were great characters and had the best character development I've seen in a sequel

http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/alien/

Those are kinda surreal too. Gotta love the 70s and 80s for marketing R rated movies to kids

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 21, 2012, 04:44:52 PMThose are kinda surreal too. Gotta love the 70s and 80s for marketing R rated movies to kids

Kids will grow with a passage of time, that's why they were premeditatedly aiming at young audience, lol

Basher917

Basher917

Quote from: aliennaire on Feb 21, 2012, 06:16:41 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 21, 2012, 04:44:52 PMThose are kinda surreal too. Gotta love the 70s and 80s for marketing R rated movies to kids

Kids will grow with a passage of time, that's why they were premeditatedly aiming at young audience, lol
These days, kids can't even play with small parts due to a "choking hazard".

Puss-ass companies are too afraid of damn lawsuits made by soccer moms of various sizes.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2012, 02:36:47 PM
And most of it was slapped together several weeks before the film's release.

I was about to say that it felt like an "add-on".

While it might have been shot well, thematically it feels off (in my opinion).  But that aside, it doesn't feel like Ripley to me.  I don't think it was fitting for Ripley's character at all.  The whole thing just feels contrived - what with the way the sequel is set up in the first place (the damn mysterious egg on the sulaco).  It's like there's no reason for it.

Cameron at least gave a reason for the sequel. At least for Ripley.  Because it was ripely's movie.  Ripley survived the first film physically, but not mentally.  By giving her a reason to go back, instead of just having her "stumble" across them again like what happened in the third film, it sets up the movie in a more "reasonable" light.

Alien 3's "oh no the alien is back" set up deflates this.

Ripley's sacrifice, to me feels out of character and seemingly (to me anyway) comes out of nowhere.  Leaving aside my philosophical objection to the self-sacrifice theme, I think the lead up was poorly done and not executed well.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: stephen on Feb 21, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
Ripley's sacrifice, to me feels out of character and seemingly (to me anyway) comes out of nowhere.  Leaving aside my philosophical objection to the self-sacrifice theme, I think the lead up was poorly done and not executed well.
Seriously? You think Ripley, after an entire trilogy trying to wipe out the alien, is going to go "Oh, okay Bishop II, let's go back to your ship and you can have the last alien inside me. Whatevs." The ending is perfect and completely in-character.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 21, 2012, 10:50:26 PM
Quote from: stephen on Feb 21, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
Seriously? You think Ripley, after an entire trilogy trying to wipe out the alien, is going to go "Oh, okay Bishop II, let's go back to your ship and you can have the last alien inside me. Whatevs." The ending is perfect and completely in-character.

No I don't - which is why I spoke about the film as a whole.  The way alien 3 was set up affects the ending.  It's a nothing.

I spoke about Cameron giving Ripley a reason to "go back".  The film itself is flawed is my point.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: stephen on Feb 21, 2012, 10:56:45 PM
No I don't - which is why I spoke about the film as a whole.  The way alien 3 was set up affects the ending.  It's a nothing.
The setup of the film is that everyone she has ever loved is dead, everything she's fought for has been in vain, and now she is stranded in a hellish prison planet with an alien queen inside her. How such a horrifying, soul-crushing series of events would be somehow incongrous with her killing herself at the end is beyond me.

Basher917

Basher917

I can't comprehend why you think that.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 21, 2012, 11:11:02 PM
The setup of the film is that everyone she has ever loved is dead, everything she's fought for has been in vain, and now she is stranded in a hellish prison planet with an alien queen inside her. How such a horrifying, soul-crushing series of events would be somehow incongrous with her killing herself at the end is beyond me.

The set up of the film is the egg on the sulaco.  There's no reason for it.  Which is why I spoke about what Cameron did with Aliens.  He gave her a reason to "go back" to the alien. There is an old interview with Cameron - it's on one of the earlier Aliens DVD's where he speaks about this.  He says "I could have just had the ship float back to the planet...." - his point being is that that's just silly.  Give the main character a reason to go back.

Alien 3 does the old hoky thing and just plops and egg on the ship - "oh no the alien".  It's a cheap set up.

And the whole "everything she has fought for has been in vain" is a part of my point.  What is the point if that is the case.  Alien 3 is ultimately a depressing film.  I don't like depressing films.

Quote from: Basher917 on Feb 21, 2012, 11:14:18 PM

I can't comprehend why you think that.

See above - but of course people will disagree with me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed