Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 282,874 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Regarding many preceding posts: I'm glad to see I'm not crazy.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 20, 2017, 09:06:35 PM
Apparently, the studio wanted the bombing scene out, but Ridley insisted on keeping it in.

I gotta go with the studio here, it was pretty pointless. I think David's actions throughout Covenant tells the audience what happened to the Engineers.

I think they should've shown the bombing scene in The Crossing prologue.

Ah yes, because studio interference in the Alien series has been notorious for making the films better, no?  :laugh:

Thank God this scene wasn't cut.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Alionic on May 21, 2017, 02:15:45 AM
Apparently, the studio wanted the bombing scene out, but Ridley insisted on keeping it in.

I gotta go with the studio here, it was pretty pointless. I think David's actions throughout Covenant tells the audience what happened to the Engineers.

Ah yes, because studio interference in the Alien series has been notorious for making the films better, no?  :laugh:

Tell me what this scene added to the movie? On a story level the audience should be able to figure out what happened on their own. The scene itself works as a very nice gruesome set piece, but how does that move the story?

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 02:24:52 AM

Tell me what this scene added to the movie? On a story level that the audience couldn't figure out on their own. The scene itself works as a gruesome set piece, but how does that move the story?

It showed how the accelerant is weaponized and quite effectively portrayed how effective it is. I had been wondering about this since David found the canisters in Prometheus.

echobbase79

echobbase79

True, but we saw that in Prometheus. I'll give you that though. It did show it on a more massive scale.

Still the scene could've been cut and the movie would've been fine.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Darkness on May 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM
Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be.

Wait, unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be? Have you seen Alien or not? The bar for the Alien series is: "One of the best films of all time."

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Hudson on May 21, 2017, 02:31:28 AM
Honestly, I think you guys who didn't like it have some unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be.

Wait, unrealistic expectations of what an Alien movie should be? Have you seen Alien or not? The bar for the Alien series is: "One of the best films of all time."

That's a pretty high bar. I mean, I agree, we should be able to expect the best, but I'm not asking that much out of it.

Alionic

Alionic

Tell me what this scene added to the movie? On a story level the audience should be able to figure out what happened on their own. The scene itself works as a very nice gruesome set piece, but how does that move the story?

You're joking, right? I mean, it kind of showed what happened when David arrived at the planet. Prometheus only ended with him leaving for it.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 02:30:19 AM
True, but we saw that in Prometheus. I'll give you that though. It did show it on a more massive scale.

Still the scene could've been cut and the movie would've been fine.

Perhaps, not arguing it would still be a good movie. I will say though, after watching a second time, it does add a certain 'jolt' to that slower portion of the movie. Well placed and the most key part of it all was seeing the tears in the eyes of David after such a horrific act. It did add quite a bit in my opinion in regards to David's character after actually SEEING such a horrific act and what he is capable of, but hey, its just an opinion  :)

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Alionic on May 21, 2017, 02:34:46 AM

You're joking, right? I mean, it kind of showed what happened when David arrived at the planet. Prometheus only ended with him leaving for it.

I reckon one could infer that David was responsible, though I appreciate the scene for the sake of clarity. My biggest problem with it, shown or not, I that I hate the decision to wipe out the Engineers. It completely undermines Prometheus.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 21, 2017, 02:33:43 AM
Quote from: Hudson on May 21, 2017, 02:31:28 AM

That's a pretty high bar. I mean, I agree, we should be able to expect the best, but I'm not asking that much out of it.

I'm not saying I'm asking that much of it. I'm saying that's the bar set by Alien. That's the ceiling of this franchise. I do not set my expectations that high every time, that would be absurd. Like I mentioned, I simply set my bar above Alien Resurrection, and I do not feel that even that low bar was reached.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Alionic on May 21, 2017, 02:34:46 AM

Yeah, but we see the aftermath of what happens on the planet and David even admits to Walter that he killed them later on when they're talking. Visually, it's a cool scene, but it adds nothing to the story for me.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 21, 2017, 02:39:25 AM
My biggest problem with it, shown or not, I that I hate the decision to wipe out the Engineers. It completely undermines Prometheus.

You can thank the endless amount of bitching from fans who wanted an Alien or Aliens clone for this.

Hudson

Hudson

^ I agree and I felt the flashback focalized through David was clumsy and weird. The scene itself was interesting. The placement of it was clunky and should've been in that viral video.

Also, the Engineers didn't get wiped out. There's one in Alien...

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Hudson on May 21, 2017, 02:43:01 AM
^ I agree and I felt the flashback focalized through David was clumsy and weird. The scene itself was interesting. The placement of it was clunky and should've been in that viral video.

Also, the Engineers didn't get wiped out. There's one in Alien...

Yes, there is. One w/ a cargo bay full of Xeno eggs, though this film would have us believe that David created them. I must assume that other Engineer's exist b/c otherwise it's a direct contradiction. I must also assume that David is playing the role of re-creator instead of creator. My hope for a follow-up is that David realize how un-godlike he truly is. I mean, c'mon, there's no way a species so invested in genetic experimentation and engineering hadn't already developed "the perfect organism".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed