What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,936 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reading Clean Architecture by Robert C. Martin. Great book for software developers, goes well alongside Clean Code and Clean Coder.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 22, 2017, 05:47:19 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Nov 18, 2017, 08:49:25 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2017, 04:43:27 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2017, 10:23:49 AM
Picked up and started reading Artemis yesterday. Couple of chapters in and I'm digging it.

And finished! Enjoyable, easy read, much in the same vein as The Martian. I wouldn't say it was as good as the Martian but I still thoroughly enjoyed it enough to blast through it.

I read a negative review about Artemis. The critic said it was worse than The Martian. But the setting is great. So, it could work as a blockbuster.

That bad huh?

You weren't a fan?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 27, 2017, 09:26:41 AM
You weren't a fan?

Laugh no, I was just ribbing the critic (or perhaps rather our hyperbolic Pierre) who makes it sound so bad.

Unrelated question, as a big Halo fan have you ever read Consider Phlebas (1987) by Ian M. Banks?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Fair enough.  :laugh:

I have not. I've read the Ringworld novels but never Consider Phlebas. Would you recommend?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It's probably my favourite sci-fi novel after Dune.

It features a huge artificial ringworld, power armour, massive space ships (with inventive names) and space pirates set against an interstellar war against a religious fanatical alien race. Sound familiar? IIRC Bungie also acknowledged the book's influence on Halo. Ian M. Banks was probably also one of the greatest British writers of the 20th century.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Hmmm. That does sound familiar.  :P Thanks for the recommendation, 8th. I've ordered a copy.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Working on Anno Dracula: One Thousand Monsters, by Kim Newman. It's good so far, but I was promised Anno Dracula 1999: Daikaiju back when the 1899 collection came out, so this feels a bit like more filler to please Titan Books.

Space Invader

Space Invader

Finished reading some Lovecraft: A Shadow Over Innsmouth and Call of Cthulhu. Really liked it, especially A Shadow Over Innsmouth.

windebieste

windebieste

I love 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' and have read it several times.  Most recently was earlier this year.  Under the influence of post treatment pain killers and other prescribed drugs while I was recovering from surgery. 

Trippy experience, that was.  Great story all the same. 

My favorite Lovecraft piece is 'Shadow out of Time'.  There's so much to like about that one.   

-Windebieste.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

I picked up Aliens: Omnibus Vol. 1 to replace my missing Aliens novels so I'm starting on that.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Finally finished Anno Dracula: One Thousand Monsters. It's not my favorite in the series, and obviously just leading into the next book, but it was entertaining enough. It also featured motherf**king Sanjuro as a vampire, complete with his habit of picking random objects to serve as his surname. :laugh: I am getting a tad sick of being cockteased, though. It's been years since Johnny Alucard's cliffhanger ending and I feel no closer to resolution.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Finished Alien: River Of Pain and ordering some new Alien & Predator books.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, by Nicholas Meyer

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reading Predator Omnibus: Volume 2. Big Game was a great story.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2017, 04:16:37 PM
It's probably my favourite sci-fi novel after Dune.

It features a huge artificial ringworld, power armour, massive space ships (with inventive names) and space pirates set against an interstellar war against a religious fanatical alien race. Sound familiar? IIRC Bungie also acknowledged the book's influence on Halo. Ian M. Banks was probably also one of the greatest British writers of the 20th century.

I started reading this. I'm about 100 pages in and am enjoying it so far!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed