What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,098 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 07, 2023, 08:58:56 PMJust finished Annihilation (2014) by Jeff VanderMeer, the first from Southern Reach Trilogy. Weird but compelling story. Must re-watch movie again as I don't remember much but I can tell it's different than the novel. I'm also intrigued about next two novels.

A lot of people seem to not like the 2nd book, but I loved it. I think it's because it's different and doesn't pick up the thread of the biologist's continuing adventures in body-horror-creepy-eco-world, instead focusing on a toxic and wierd and hostile office environment instead.

Vandermeer plays a great literary trick in the book too ... but spoilers.

Commander Blitz

Commander Blitz

Just finished aliens Vasquez and I'm now starting alien prototype

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Colonel shipp on Jun 16, 2023, 11:59:12 AMJust finished aliens Vasquez and I'm now starting alien prototype

How did you like them?

Im Reading Patricia Cornwell's. "Blow Fly"

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Just finished Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth.

Crazy book. Loved it. The ebook version I have made it hard to keep track of the characters though, it's not trivial to "flip to the front" to look up who's who.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

I have the Southern Reach Trilogy sitting on the shelf, I ought to get on it lol

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jun 19, 2023, 01:43:57 PMI have the Southern Reach Trilogy sitting on the shelf, I ought to get on it lol

I've only read the first one but it was really good.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The first one is really good. The second has some great moments but is a total slog, to the point I lost interest in reading the third.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

The Wilder Girls by Rory Power.

A bit Annihilation meets Lord of the Flies, but distinct and interesting enough, with interesting characters, and it's nicely creepy. Definitely kept me turning the pages.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

ALIEN: The Cold Forge by Alex White.

Heard good things about it, and it's interesting so far. I like Blue, she leaps off the page as a distinct and complex character. Dorian on the other hand is instantly someone I want to see die horribly in an ironic way, preferrably on the next page I read.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Started on Children Of Dune. I read Dune Messiah 10 years ago and would like to finish the saga (at least the original 6 books).

Eal

Eal

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 24, 2023, 12:07:20 AMALIEN: The Cold Forge by Alex White.

Heard good things about it, and it's interesting so far. I like Blue, she leaps off the page as a distinct and complex character. Dorian on the other hand is instantly someone I want to see die horribly in an ironic way, preferrably on the next page I read.

Him and
Spoiler
Duncan
[close]
from Into Charybdis are pretty hateable villains imo.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Finished Cold Forge. Alongside Destroying Angels and Hive, probably one of my favourite EU works. Some of the action was a little muddy (maybe I was reading too fast), but the character work was what kept me turning the page.

Just as Prey was a more interesting film for having a relatable protagonist who, while athletic, was not a super-fit film-star body-builder soldier, this book was fascinating for having Blue, a character for whom every day is a struggle, even before adding sociopathic HR people and free-roaming xenomorphs. We all have the experience of disability -- you only have to roll your ankle and hobble around for a couple of days, or have a bad flu to know that you're subject to human frailty, that suddenly there's a range of activities that you are excluded from, and you are dependant on other people and your medical care.

I had flu last year that, if I were a hunter-gatherer, would probably have killed me. And I'm not unfit, and I eat well.

This novel really bought home that world, and how permenent and challenging it can be ... and how resourceful and resiliant you have to be to survive and flourish on an ordinary day.

Give me characters like that for the next film. Give me something that's about people, something that will teach me something about them, and not just pulse-rifles and chestbursters.

Onto the next one. The bar is now very high!

Ingwar

Ingwar

Listening to Wardruna and reading Norse inspired fantasy, The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne.

Don't judge the book by its cover.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

High Rise by J.G Ballard.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, 2nd book in the "Locked Tomb" series. The book is all kinds of gloriously weird so far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed