The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 467,667 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Mar 06, 2014, 07:29:08 PMYeah because Cersei, Jaime and the Lannisters are all great guys to begin with who'd never start anything... :laugh:

No, but that doesn't make Robert more of a good guy for being an absolute ass to his wife. Starting on the day of their wedding and just getting worse from there.

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 06, 2014, 07:31:07 PMShe's a poster girl for Machiavellianism. Surely Bran is better behaved? Or Jojen, Meera... etc.

Aye, but I get the feeling that she's an actual good person. Known for her charity work in Highgarden and so on. There's nothing about her that that seems cruel or unfair, even if she lusts for power. She's one of the few characters in the show who wouldn't make things worse for the common folk if she were their ruler, I think.

First Blood

First Blood

Pfft. Another misguided idealist. You can't save Gotham, Shas.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 06, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Mar 06, 2014, 07:38:39 PM
What about Jon Snow? He is literally the closest we get to a traditional hero in this story.
Oathbreaker!  :laugh:

Entirely blameless. He had a naked Rose Leslie in front of him. :D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 06, 2014, 07:44:38 PM
You muddafukkas be sayin' Davos ain't a good guy? >:(

'dat Onion knight. Such a great character.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 06, 2014, 07:44:38 PM
You muddafukkas be sayin' Davos ain't a good guy? >:(
My etc should cover anyone you wish  :laugh:

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Mar 06, 2014, 08:13:41 PM
Touche. Fine Scottish lassie!

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 06, 2014, 08:08:25 PM
Aye, but I get the feeling that she's an actual good person. Known for her charity work in Highgarden and so on. There's nothing about her that that seems cruel or unfair, even if she lusts for power. She's one of the few characters in the show who wouldn't make things worse for the common folk if she were their ruler, I think.
Even in the show there's intimations that she's cold and possibly even ruthless: look at her after Renly's death. Her mind is already working out how she can further her position. Any charity is not out of the kindness of her heart, as I said: Machiavellian to the core. She's simply smarter and less bitter than Cersei, for example. Maybe those character traits of hers will come to the fore as the show develops; I got the feeling from the books that she's devious.

Now, just a final point - this doesn't make her a bad person, but she's definitely not good, or at least not good enough to be one of the show's more morally-attuned figures.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Aye, true enough. But I'd like to think it's a mix of both. You can use kind actions to further your position and because you want to do good. She can definitely be ruthless and manipulative, but at least she isn't cruel for the sake of being cruel, which at least makes her pretty decent, by GoT standards. :D

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 06, 2014, 08:43:47 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Mar 06, 2014, 08:13:41 PM

Touche. Fine Scottish lassie!

Eh, a clothed Rose Leslie was more tempting.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Xenodog on Mar 06, 2014, 07:54:56 PM
If Roose told Joffrey to go to bed he wouldn't.

Roose is only also a real threat with Tywin's backing.

I'm talking about the performances here, man. Not the characters. McElhatton owns that role, and he owns his scenes.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 06, 2014, 09:53:01 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Mar 06, 2014, 07:54:56 PM
If Roose told Joffrey to go to bed he wouldn't.

Roose is only also a real threat with Tywin's backing.

I'm talking about the performances here, man. Not the characters. McElhatton owns that role, and he owns his scenes.
Totally agreed in that case. I prefer Dance, and say he has more gravitas too, but McElhatton has Roose nailed and does him perfect.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Roose is still pretty threatening.  In terms of overall characters he's kind of a poor man's Tywin.

Some of the things that he has done (betraying his king for the winning side) were already part of Tywins legacy.

I agree that McElhatton is a good Roose. 

And the guy that plays Ramsay is pretty good to.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/the-game-of-thrones-rap-album-is-everything-you-want-and-more/

With Big Boi / Common (great!)  8) ... and Daddy Yankee of all people. (lol)  :laugh:

Valaquen

Valaquen

HBO released the season 4 synopsis and the synopses for the first four episodes. SPOILERS of course for those who haven't caught up:

Spoiler
QuoteEncouraged by the Red Wedding slaughter in the Riverlands that wiped out many of their Stark nemeses, the Lannisters' hold on the Iron Throne remains intact ... but can they survive their own egos, as well as new and ongoing threats from the south, north and east? While an unbowed Stannis Baratheon continues to rebuild his army in Dragonstone, a more immediate danger comes from the south, as Oberyn Martell, the Lannister-loathing "Red Viper of Dorne," arrives at King's Landing to attend Joffrey's wedding to Margaery Tyrell, and perhaps act on an ulterior agenda. In the north, a depleted Night's Watch seems overmatched against the inexorable Wall advances of Mance Rayder's army of wildlings, which in turn is being trailed by an even more formidable foe: the undead White Walkers. As if that weren't enough, Daenerys Targaryen, accompanied by her menacing trio of dragons and army of Unsullied, is poised to liberate Meereen, the largest city in Slaver's Bay, which could ultimately provide her with enough ships to sail to Westeros and reclaim the Iron Throne.
QuoteEpisode #31: "Two Swords"
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) welcomes a guest to King's Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) finds himself unwelcome. Dany (Emilia Clarke) is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya (Maisie Williams) runs into an old friend.

Episode #32: "The Lion and the Rose"
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.

Episode #33: "Breaker of Chains"
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn't safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Episode #34: "Oathkeeper"
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 27 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Meera (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) stumble on shelter.
[close]
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/april-episodes-press-release/

Shasvre

Shasvre

That second episode better be the wedding.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I can't describe how excited I am to finally be seeing the Martells. Been waiting for this since I read the third book. ;D

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 07, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
Spoiler

QuoteTyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand.
[close]

:laugh:

Eva

Eva

This Spring is gonna be so good....

True Detective is wrapping up
Hannibal just started again
GoT starting up soon

I have the entire latest season of Silent Witness to chew trough
I have most of Kill la Kill to check out
I have 2 seasons of House of Cards to watch
I'm committed to check out Idris Elba in UK crime series Luther

I need more time! :D

Shasvre

Shasvre

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed